Chapter 11

Forbidden fruit

Minhyuk and Hye-Mi were dating for nearly a month now. They were very happy together but Minhyuk felt like something was missing in their relationship.

Already a month of dating and they could count the times they were able to visit each other on one hand. The only moment they could really see each other were in Minhyuk's car at night, in front of Hye-Mi's house. Long enough to talk a little and to kiss his girlfriend as much as he could to keep the taste of her lips and she was gone.

It wasn't the kind of relationship Minhyuk used to know. Even if he was a private person, he never had to hide his relationships. But with Hye-Mi, he had to hide it from everyone; their families and friends, especially Tae-Yong. Everybody knew each other and a gaffe could be easily done. Nobody was able to know and it was beginning to weigh on him.

Minhyuk was thinking about that while looking at his computer screen. He was typing a plea but wasn't really concentrated on it.

Minhyuk? Are you here?” Tae-Yong asked, knocking on his door.

Yes, come in.”

Tae-Yong came in and looked at his partner, smiling.

What?” Minhyuk asked, raising an eyebrow.

You look handsome today,” Tae-Yong smiled.

Wow...wow, what is happening to you?” Minhyuk asked, laughing, “Are you hitting on me?”

"What? Stop your bull,” Tae-Yong laughed, “No, I have a good news for you,” he said sitting on the front on Minhyuk’s desk.

Why am I suddenly afraid?” his friend inquired with a smirk.

Don’t be, well maybe a little. You know Eun-Chae, the prosecutor you’re flirting with.”

Hmm Hmm…”

Well, you’re having lunch with her today,” Tae-Yong said happily.

What? What did you say?” Minhyuk inquired, irritated.

I bumped into her, we talked about a case and then about you. She likes you,” Tae-Yong smirked.

And so?” Minhyuk shrugged.

So, I said you would like to see her to talk about the So case and she suggested me that you have lunch with her. I replied that it wouldn't be a problem and bam, you have a date,” Tae-Yong laughed.

Minhyuk sighed, running his hand in his hair.

Why can't you mind your own business? I don't want to date her.”

But you're always flirting with her and you're even on the phone with her, telling her she's y. If she's really the one you're often on the phone with...” he stated, staring at Minhyuk.

Flirting by game between two consenting adults and having a date are two different things. And I'm on the phone with who I want. I don't ask you about who you're on the phone with,” Minhyuk uttered, getting defensive.

Alright, don't be mad.”

And you know that ethically speaking, it wouldn't be good to date a prosecutor.”

Who says you have to date her? Just have lunch, have some fun. It doesn't have to be serious and be known by everyone. It's been awhile since you've been on a date. You're not a monk so enjoy yourself a little.”

Alright,” Minhyuk sighed, “But just a lunch.”

Sure sure,” Tae-Yong uttered as he stood up, “I’m a perfect matchmaker,” he rubbed his hands, before leaving.

Minhyuk sighed loudly, throwing his pen on his desk.

Why does he always want to match me with someone?”

Lunch time finally arrived and Minhyuk left his office not very enthusiasticly. When he walked by Tae-Yong's office, his friend smiled at him.

Have fun Minhyuk,” he screamed from his desk.

Oh I will,” Minhyuk sighed, waving at him.

When he arrived at the restaurant, Eun-Chae was already there, drinking a cocktail.

Hello Eun-Chae,” Minhyuk greeted, holding his hand to her.

Hello Minhyuk,” she stood up and shook his hand, “I'm glad you agreed to come.”

You're welcome,” he said, giving the hint of a smile.

A waiter arrived and Minhyuk ordered the same cocktail as Eun-Chae.

We both like cocktails,” Eun-Chae smiled.

Apparently,” he smiled back, “So Tae-Yong told me you had things to discuss about the So case?” he asked, taking a sip of his drink.

Yes that’s right, so…”

When the lunch arrived, they switched from cocktails to wine to accompany the meal. They talked about the case, exchanging opinions and theories.

I think the jurisprudence can be applied here because…”

At this moment, Minhyuk’s phone vibrated.

Excuse me,” he apologized, taking his phone and saw a text message from Hye-Mi.

Hye-Mi: I hope you have a nice day. I miss you very much.”

Minhyuk smiled and answered to her.

It seems it was a pleasant message. A woman?” Eun-Chae inquired, rolling the wine in her glass.

Hmm? No, it was...Tae-Yong. He told me a little joke,” Minhyuk lied, ill at ease.

Oh good, which one. Tell me,” she asked as he came closer to the table.

No the kind you would share with a woman on a first date, I mean lunch. Sorry,” Minhyuk uttered, drinking his wine.

I'm a woman but I'm also a grown up, so tell me.”

No sorry,” he smiled.

Alright, too bad. Anyway, Minhyuk, is there...” she paused, “a woman in your life? I asked Tae-Yong but he didn't want to tell me.”

Well...” Minhyuk began as he scratched his head, “I have nobody in my life. Some flirting but nothing special,” he shrugged, giving a slight smile.

Oh I see,” she uttered, her lips seductively, “Well me neither, i'm single too,” she stated staring at Minhyuk, intensively.

We’re not lucky apparently,” he replied, trying to avoid her eyes.

Hmm hmm,” she nodded still staring at him, “So what's new at the Park-Kang firm?” she asked, trying to make Minhyuk relax.

The end of their lunch went pretty well even if Eun-Chae flirted with Minhyuk more than usual. She was trying to more tactile with him, like when she brushed his hand while giving him the bottle of wine. Minhyuk felt that their flirting game was turning into dredge.

For Minhyuk, it was pleasant but also pretty embarrassing, knowing he was already dating someone. After lunch, they took a walk to his car before talking a little more.

While talking, Eun-Chae was staing at Minhyuk with insistence, which made him feel ill at ease.

What? Do I have something on my face or in my teeth?”

No, you're handsome Minhyuk. There's nothing wrong with you,” she uttered, seductively.

Well thanks,” Minhyuk thanked, looking down, rubbing his neck.

Actually, I think you're perfect,” she uttered, coming closer to him.

She leaned toward Minhyuk and kissed his lips. Minhyuk was so surprised that he didn't move. He kept his lips closed until he felt Eun-Chae's tongue on his lips. He stopped her.

Eun-Chae?”

Minhyuk, we could stop this flirting game and start acting,” she stated, putting her hand on his arm.

I...I don't know.”

You told me you have nobody in your life.”

Minhyuk looked away for an instant. He was in love with Hye-Mi but nobody knew it. Their relationship was a secret and they maybe needed something to keep suspicions away, especially from Tae-Yong. If he felt Minhyuk was into Eun-Chae, he could leave him alone.

Well, I can't promise you a relationship but we can see each other outside of court from time to time if you want,” Minhyuk said, giving the hint of a smile.

Alright, that's fine with me,” Eun-Chae smiled.

See you then, bye.”

Bye Minhyuk.”

Minhyuk got in his car and waved back at Eun-Chae. Before starting the car, he sent a message to Hye-Mi, saying he'll be at work until pretty late but he'll try to call her once at home. He also told her, he missed her.

I'm such an idiot,” he sighed, throwing his phone on the passenger seat.

When he came back to the firm, he quickly walked to his office, hoping to avoid Tae-Yong. But a few minutes later, Tae-Yong came in without knocking.

Tae-Yong! You really have to stop just barging into my office like that!” Minhyuk uttered, annoyed.

I saw you coming back so I wanted to hear the news.”

There's no news,” Minhyuk sighed, typing on his computer.

Oooh Minhyuk,” Tae-Yong stared at him, “I know there's something. I can read something on your face,” he smiled.

Annoyance maybe,” Minhyuk mumbled, “Nothing special, we had a great lunch and hmm...” he paused, thinking about the kiss, “we decided to see each other again,” he shrugged.

That's great,” Tae-Yong uttered, happily, “I told you I'm a great matchmaker.”

Well don't delude yourself, we're not dating, okay? I'm not saying that it will lead to something. We just agreed to see each other outside of court from time to time.”

That's a start. Every relationship starts like that.”

Well, wonderful,” Minhyuk uttered, rolling his eyes.

I'm happy for you. I hope it works between you too,” Tae-Yong smiled, “Don't forget the meeting in an hour,” he stated, before walking away.

Sure,” Minhyuk smiled.

Tae-Yong closed the door and Minhyuk let his head fall in his hands.

What a mess. At least, now he thinks that I like Eun-Chae and won't never suspect anything with Hye-Mi, that's the good point.”

Minhyuk slumped into his leather chair and thought about Hye-Mi, about her beautiful smile. He was happy with the teenager, more than he could ever think. With what he did today, he realised that he was able to do everything to keep her by his side, even the stupidest things.