Autumn leaves

Faded Memories
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

In Yerim's dreams, she always pictured the two of them together. Everything from sharing snacks on the bus, taking CSAT and graduating together.

 

Fate decided to be cruel, it didn't even last a year.

 

Yerim looked out the bus window. The bright pink cherry blossoms were no more, replaced by falling yellow orange autumn leaves. At the sight she reminisced that day they took the pictures under the cherry trees.

 

Bittersweet memories, she can't take them from her. They were the only thing Hyejoo left that belonged to her.

 

 

~~~

 

 

How could she forget that heartbreaking day.

 

It started like any typical school day. Yerim felt incessant shaking from the strongest of arms snuggling in the comfort of her warm bed.

 

A familiar monotone voice called "CHOI YERIM WAKE UP! You'll be late to school."

 

"Five more minutes?" Yerim poked her hand out of the warmth of her blanket to extend her fingers, still covering her head with her favorite My Melody blanket from the blinding light. The pink fabric served as a reminder of the love she felt when Hyejoo hugged her on that cold windy day.

 

There was a slight irritation in the voice "That's what you said five minutes ago."

 

"Pretty please?" Yerim pleaded, unwilling to leave the comfort of the warm bed.

 

Her eyes were still tightly shut when felt the entire blanket removed to a sudden wave of cold air, followed by a hand tucking a few strands of her hair out of her face.

 

"Get up now or you'll be late!"

 

Yerim reluctantly dragged herself out from bed. With her eyes still closed, she hurriedly moved to the closet pulling the uniform over her and randomly placed the ribbon around her neck.

 

Mornings weren’t Yerim's favorite time of day, except for waking to her scent and the view of her triangle lips.

 

 

Hurriedly, Yerim quickly grab a piece of toast from the table. She hopped on one leg, almost hitting her head against the wall in a rush to put on her shoes while flinging the backpack around her back.

 

It was a typical autumn school day. The cool crisp air smelled the same except something was slightly off. Their usual walk to the bus stop was eerily quiet, she had a premonition Hyejoo was hiding something.

 

Yerim could sense something was wrong from the complete lack of teasing from the taller girl. Hyejoo was always first and she'd make a point wait at the entrance of the apartment to scare her just outside the entrance of apartment.

 

Yerim turn to focus the raven hair girl next to her. She glanced at Hyejoo from head to toe. That was the "aha" moment when she noticed the attire was different.

 

"Where's your uniform?" Yerim inquired as they stop by the lone green bench at the bus stop.

 

"Listen, there's something we need to talk about."

 

From the uneasiness tone of her voice Yerim knew something felt wrong, she felt in her heart.

 

"What is it?" she was too curious not to ask. Perhaps she was imagining things, over thinking it.

 

After a few moment of struggle, Hyejoo finally let out "The thing is, um.. you s

Please log in to read the full chapter