CHAPTER 1

The Assignment

 

CHAPTER 1

 

“Mr. Bae!”

“Wendy, how are you?”

“I’m good.” Wendy answered with a smile “You?”

“Not really.”

“Is there something I could help with?” she asked concerned, as Mr. Bae handed her an envelope

“What’s this?” Wendy asked as she open the envelope and saw photos of Irene

 

“Someone sent it to my office. No notes.” Mr. Bae said worriedly “Just my daughter’s photo.”

“Do you need me to find whoever sent this?” Wendy asked looking at the worried man

“No.” Mr. Bae shook his head “I already got people working on that.”

“Then what do you need me for?”

“To look after my daughter.”

A change on Wendy’s expression is evident “I’m sorry but you know that I can’t”

“Wendy please, just hear me out.” He pleads

“I owe you Mr. Bae, but this I cannot do.”

“I know and I feel really terrible for asking you this but I do—“

“You can easily get people who will protect her.”

“I am a father and I can’t just put my daughter’s life on hands of strangers”

“And I understand that but you also understand why I can’t.”

“I know that I promised you and your father that you don’t have to pay me back from what I did before but she’s all I have and I’m desperate.” He said apologetically “Life for a life.”

“What you and your father owes me, this will be the payment.”

“Mr. Bae…” Wendy mumbles looking at him

“I’m desperate Wendy” He said apologetically

“Can I think about it?” Wendy asked

 

Mr. Bae nodded but Wendy knew that he wouldn’t take no for an answer.

 

“In three conditions.”

 

Mr. Bae looked at her with full attention.

 

“First, the moment we find the mastermind behind those photos my job ends.”

Mr, Bae nodded “Of course.”

“Second, full authority when it comes to her safety, not even you can bypass it and once you did my job ends.”

Mr. Bae agreed without hesitation “I wouldn’t come here asking this to you if I don’t trust you.”

“Lastly, I’ll do everything’s necessary to keep her alive.” Wendy said “Anything.”

Mr. Bae smile lightly as he extended his hand “She means the world to me and I am entrusting that world to you, I trust you to do what’s necessary in keeping my world alive.”

 

 

 

“Your new bodyguard will come today.” Mr. Bae said as he took a sip on his coffee

Exasperation quickly appeared on Irene’s face “Dad I told you, I don’t need anyone following me around.”

“I know but this old man is worried about you.” He said dramatically, obviously he didn’t tell Irene about the pictures “At least having her with you will make my heart at ea—“

“Her?”  Distaste is evident

“Well, given how all of your former bodyguards were all male and you couldn’t wait to fire them within week, I figured getting you a girl.” He explained but of course that was a lie. Even if Wendy were a boy he would still choose her, to protect Irene’s life

 

Irene’s furrowed brow went down, a good sign. Mr. Bae almost breathes in relief when he saw the quirk on the corner of his daughter’s mouth.

 

“Okay.” Irene said enthusiastically, smile playing on her lips and God he knew she was up to no good.

“Joohyun…” He called gently

“What time will she be here?” Irene looking at her watch “I don’t want to fire her on the first day for being late.”

 

 

He was about to say something, when a maid called their attention, saying that Wendy had arrived.

Smiled appear on Mr. Bae as soon as Wendy comes into view and stood up to greet her. Wendy returned the smile then bow.

 

“Irene this is Wendy, Wendy this is—“

“I’m going to be late, let’s go.” Irene said walking past the two

 

“You don’t have to say anything, Mr. Bae.” Wendy said as soon as she saw the apologetic look on the man “I’ve had worse.”

“She and her temper, I don’t know what to do with it.”

“Breaking a bone or two might do the trick.” Wendy saying with a smile

He chuckle at Wendy, then they heard Irene’s annoyed voice “I’m late.”

“I better get going.” Wendy said as Mr. Bae nodded.

Wendy bowed to the man as she starts walking but before she could get out of the room, she turns to him “Mr. Bae, I wasn’t kidding when I told you that breaking little bone might do the trick. I just hope that it won’t be on the first day” She said then left before he could say anything.

“God, help them.” He mutters as Wendy disappeared from her sight.

 

 

Wendy’s driving for about 15 minutes now when Irene spoke.

 

“If you looked at me at that rearview mirror, you’re fired. You make me wait even for one second, you’re fired. You say something I didn’t ask, you’re fired. You come closer more than what’s necessary you’re fired. Make one mistake and you’re fired” Irene said looking at Wendy, probably waiting for a chance to fire her at that very moment, but failed.

 

They reached the company’s building without Wendy taking her eyes off on the road and not breathing a word. Irene stepped out of the car as soon as Wendy opened it.

 

Wendy walks meter away behind Irene, employees stopping and greeting her as she walked past them.

 

“I’ll be in my office the whole day, we’ll leave at 6.” Irene said then entered her office.

 

Wendy released a relief sighed when Irene closed the door. It’s been so long since she’s done this.

 

 

“Hi…” A gentle voice called Wendy’s attention

“Hi.” Wendy greeted in return

“You must be the new body guard.” The woman said as she handed her a cup of coffee

Wendy took the cup hesitantly “Thank you.”

“I am Mina. Ms. Bae’s secretary” She told her “If I didn’t know any better, I’d think that you’re an investor or a client, you’re the first woman body guard she had.”

“How long have you been working for her?” Wendy asked but of course she already knew. The moment she accepted the job, she started investigating everyone around Irene, from clerks to bosses, even friends.

“Going four years now.” She answered. She said then went to her seat.

“Uhm, can I ask for Ms. Bae’s schedule for a month?” Wendy asked "I want to ask her but I’m pretty sure that’s going to get me fired on my first day so…”

“I got you.” Mina told her with a smile as she printed Irene’s schedule, then handed it to Wendy. “That’s not fix, sometimes there’s urgent that isn’t in the schedule, but I’ll let you know once something is new, given that you’re still here…”

“It’s not easy to get rid of me.” Wendy said playfully, that made Mina chuckles.

“You seem nice; I hope to see you again tomorrow.”

 

Given Irene’s record of firing her bodyguard for a day, it didn’t surprise her that even her secretary thinks that she might get fired today.

“Thanks for your help.” Wendy said pointing on the paper on her hand “And you’re going to see me tomorrow.”

 

 

Wendy sits down on the couch located outside Irene’s office, in front of Mina’s table as she begun to think of what could possibly be behind from all those photos. If the perpetrator wanted to scare a man like Mr. Bae, he or she or they definitely succeeded, the man was scared as hell for her daughter’s safety.

Based on the photo taken, they’re definitely stalking her, they weren’t just taken outside office or business meetings, there are some that was taken during her personal time, even her vacation outside the country, it tells one thing, they have the means and money behind them.

They could’ve grabbed her anytime they want since Irene looks so carefree during her free time especially outside the country or even if she wasn’t, it’s not like it could make any difference, they could’ve taken her any time they want but they didn’t, they surely love tormenting Mr. Bae.

Money? Possible, Mr. Bae is a billionaire and Irene is her only daughter, I’m pretty sure that if they ask him to give up his fortune for her safety, he will.

Revenge? High possibility, he is a good man, but business is business, no matter how good of a person you are, chances of stepping someone on your way up is not inevitable.

 

So, what was it?  Money or revenge?

Both.

Wendy thought.

 

“Wendy-ssi?”

“Yeah?” She answered looking at Mina

“I’m going to order Ms. Bae’s lunch, I could get you something to if you want?”

“No, I’m fine. Thanks.” Wendy answered smiling “So, is she eating in?”

“Yeah, she just got back from a vacation so there are lot works to be done and she rarely eats out too unless necessary.”

Wendy nodded at the information “Do you mind if I look around?”

“Well, I’m just the secretary, but I’m sure it’ll be fine as long as you don’t bother anyone or might well say goodbye to your job, time is money and Ms. Bae hates wasting it.”

“Noted.” Wendy smile “Thank you, Mina.”

 

Mr. Bae had told her that there are people who are already looking behind the photo but Wendy couldn’t stay still and just wait for them, the sooner they find out who’s behind it the sooner she can leave.

There are at least four other offices, probably some of the managers and their respective secretaries located outside. In her experience, seventy percent of the perpetrators are just hiding in plain sight, the one you wouldn’t suspect.

She looked at her watch, it’s nearing lunch time and the way everyone is still buried in their work says a lot about their personally especially the boss herself, Ms. Bae. Well, she’s a boss of a billion dollar company what could you expect.

 

Wendy went back and saw Mina coming out from Irene’s office.

 

“Saw something interesting?” Mina asked when she reached Wendy

“Not as interesting as what they see in their monitor, nobody even blink, must be really interesting.” Wendy joke with light sarcasm  

Mina chuckles “You’re the first body guard that don’t look like you’re having a diarrhea or with a stern look.”

“I don’t think people will actually take me seriously even if I make a stern look.” Wendy said

“Indeed.” Mina agreed “You don’t look like a body guard, you look like you’re the one who needs it.”

“Heard that a lot.” Wendy laughs

“Anyway, I’m going to the cafeteria for lunch, would you like to eat together?”

Wendy looked at Mina and then Irene’s office.

“I just brought her lunch, you don’t have to worry she’s not going anywhere.” Mina said seeing the hesitant look on Wendy

“Okay.”

 

Going to lunch with Mina isn’t that much of a bad idea since she introduced her to the other secretaries too. If Wendy wanted to get the information from them herself this is a much efficient way.

 

“So, Wendy right?” It was Sana, Wendy nodded as she gave her attention to her “I thought you were a client when you walk pass us earlier.”

“Exactly what I said.” Mina said

“You don’t look like a bodyguard, you seem more fragile than Ms. Bae.” It was Dahyun this time

“Exactly what Mina said too.” Wendy said earning a light chuckle from everyone

“Also, the first body guard we eat with on their first day.” Jihyo said “They always look stern and scary standing outside Ms. Bae’s office like a statue while you seem carefree and all.”

“I guess, I’m just lucky Ms. Bae is caving in on her office on my first day because if she’s not, I’m pretty sure I’d also pull my most stern look that I could muster and failed miserably.” Earning another laugh from the secretaries

“You really are funny.” It was Momo this time

 

The lunch break ended and everyone get back to their table and work. Wendy had managed to ask about how Irene as a boss, they didn’t deny that she’s terrifying but a professional and a good boss nonetheless. She was tiptoeing on her question, but this is a good start.

 

It’s been nothing but a boring afternoon for Wendy, she was used to move around for the past three years and sitting her doing nothing all afternoon is boring her to death and it’s only the first day.

She looks at her watch, 5:25PM. She breathes in relief, finally this boring day will come to an end. There’s still fifteen minutes left, she stood up went to the restroom and refresh herself.

 

Mina stood up from her seat when she saw the door of Irene’s office open.

“Hi Ms. Bae.” Mina greeted

“Make sure to send all the proposals to the clients within today.” Irene said and then she looked behind and found the empty couch. Smile tugging her lips as if victory is already in her hands. “I’m leaving. You can go home once you send it.”

Irene said and then starts walking out of the office by Mina following her behind. Mina eyed Jihyo as she walk pass her, mouthing ‘restroom’.

And thank God, Jihyo was quick to understand it. She step out of her seat and went to the restroom quickly.

 

“Wendy!” She said almost screaming when she open the bathroom

Wendy looked at her surprised “Is everything okay?”

“M-Ms. Bae, she’s leaving.” She answered panting

“!” Wendy cursed and run out of the restroom

 

Irene and Mina stepped out of the elevator as they walked on the lobby towards the building’s exit. Irene walks like a confident boss woman that she is while Mina is following her nervously.

 

“Hi Ms. Bae.” Wendy greeted as soon as Irene stepped out of the exit, she didn’t fail to notice that one second surprised that plastered on Irene’s face that disappeared in an instant.

 

She opened the car door as Irene went inside without saying anything.

She breathe in relief when she closed the door and turns to Mina with a smile mouthing ‘thank you’ 

 

So, what happen?

Well.

 

As soon as Wendy went out of the restroom, Sana tugged her into the elevator on the other side where Irene and Mina were waiting. Fortunately, the executive elevator was under maintenance and Irene has to take the usual elevator. And of course as secretary they knew what to use on what time.

“Almost nobody uses it at this kind of time, it’s much faster compared to where Ms. Bae is.” Sana said dragging Wendy and just in time the elevator swung open without anyone inside.

Wendy stepped inside as she thanks Sana.

“Ah, that girl!” Wendy screamed in frustration as the elevator went down “She’s really going to kill me on first day.”

 

Sana and Jihyo clapped at each other when they met in front of the restroom as they walked towards where their office is located and saw Mina and Irene still waiting for the elevator to come up.

Jihyo and Sana gave her thumbs up secretly as she did too in return. She then looked at Irene who’s now knitting her brows from waiting too long.

The elevator opens and they stepped inside. Just like what Sana said, the elevator that Wendy used was much faster because it went down to the parking lot without a hitch while Irene, well… it stopped on every floor giving Wendy time to run get the car out of the parking lot and drive in front of the building as fast as she could.

She then went out of the car, tidying herself as she waits for her “I might end up killing you first, Ms. Bae.” She whispered as Irene and Mina stepped out.