Retreat

Shadowed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

My backpack instantly fell on the floor as my feet stepped into the hotel’s suite. I sighed. Without wasting another second of my time, i quickly took out my laptop and placed it on the dressing table before plugging the charger into the 3-pin plug. My right arm dragged a chair for myself to sit in while my eyes never left the screen.

A soft groan escaped from my lips as i saw these words popped right out from the screen.

“Device failed to track.”

I leaned back onto the chair and massaged my temples. I stared at the screen once more, before slamming the screen onto the keyboard, hard. I push myself off the chair and landed on the white sheets of the bed instead.

“Screw this.” I muttered under my breath before falling into a deep slumber.

------

By the time the violet-coloured eye girl woke up, dawn has past and has turned to dusk. She rubbed her eyes and yawned, relieved to finally being able to get some rest from all that walking that whole afternoon. She took a short glance at the clock on the wall and walked towards the bathroom, to take a long, refreshing shower.

After walking out of the bathroom, without hesitation, she flipped open her black, shiny laptop and sighed. Her eyes were attached onto the screen, never leaving it even for a second. After what it seems like a century to her, she finally leaned back onto the dressing table’s chair and smiled, obviously relieved about something.

On the black screen appeared some words typed in a ‘typewriter’ font in green, a long address that she was not familiar with. She then slipped on some clothes that she found earlier in her backpack, and headed out to the streets of Nice.

------

I watched the ocean in awe. So beautiful. A gust of wind passed by me, causing my hair to be blown out of place. I curled a strand of my hair behind my ear and look back down at my fancy-looking plate, set on the table. I stared at the French cuisine that was perfectly set on the plate for a moment. A few seconds later, i started to gobble up everything on the plate.

Setting down my utensils, i took the napkin on the table and carefully wiped my lips. I took a sip of my Ice Lemon Tea and set the glass back on the table.

My attention was averted back towards the sea. I was seated in a fancy outdoor French restaurant. Tap that, i can’t even pronounce it’s name. I had trouble ordering my food earlier when the waiter came to take my order. I couldn’t understand him and so did he. Finally after minutes of bickering, he suggested me something in French. I just nodded my head in agreement, finally giving up on ordering a plate of pasta.

But boy, he was right. This French lobster is so good. But wait, do lobsters even have kinds? I shrug.

I took one last glance at the ocean, before leaving. I held onto my backpack tight and headed towards the counter to pay. I brought out my purse but a man that seems to look like the manager held his right arm out. “Madam, your cuisine has been paid.” He said in an accented English.

I raised my brow. “And may i know by whom?” I asked. “Secret admirer.” He whispered and winked before leaving the cash register. I hesitantly bowed and left. Outside, i look back at the restaurant one more time, still debating whether just to storm in and shoot the manager with questions.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter