The Policeman

First Loves and Dying Breaths
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What do you mean you wouldn’t text him!?”

            Jennie refrains from eating her scone, as Jisoo leans over the table. Her friend pushes her glasses back up her delicate nose, lips drawn in a tight line, and eyes narrow with determination. Expect Jisoo to dramatize a situation. Her friend is as gregarious as the characters she draws from books. One should always search in the library if they want to find her.

            Jisoo arrives to the hospital at six in the morning to have breakfast with Jennie. Friends like those do not come in silk packages. Jisoo is the only pearl among a bundle of coals.

            “Oh, I can’t just text him out of the blue. It’ll make me look desperate,” says Jennie. She avoids mentioning the way Jimin’s smile haunts her dreams. Last night, she had her fair share of romantic dreams that leaves one begging to never wake again. “Besides, I don’t like how forward he is.”

            “But it’s been ages since you’ve dated anyone.” Jisoo sits straight, arms folded across her chest, and a questioning expression that peels Jennie’s skin away from her soul. Jisoo always has that effect: staring deep into the secrets of one’s mind. It surprises Jennie that no one ever asked her out. She is a pretty girl…but a bit unconventional when it comes to the modern world.

            Of course, the last person to ask Jisoo out on a date was none other than the class clown, and Jennie’s only rival, Taehyung. But even he ditched the idea of classifying butterflies in the woods as an idea for a date. Would Jisoo ever meet the Han Solo from real life? Jennie forbids herself to even think along those lines.

            “Let me see what he looks like.” Jisoo waves at her.

Jennie passes her phone. She added Jimin’s number the night before, and his image is almost as brilliant as he is in person. Jisoo’s crooked smile is a sign of her approval.

            “There, I sent it for you.”

Jennie gasps, snatching her phone. “You did what!? Jisoo! How could you?”

            Her phone buzzes. Odd. Is Jimin awake at this time? With trembling fingers, Jennie unravels his message. She almost stumbles when she sees Jisoo’s response.

            Hey there handsome. It’s Jennie. You wanna go for another coffee?

I hope this is the real Jennie I spoke to yesterday, is Jimin’s short response. He’s a smart lad, Jennie applauds him for that.

            Jisoo sniggers, taking a sip of her green tea. “You can thank me later.”

“Sometimes I wonder why I’m your only friend,” says Jennie. Still, she proceeds to send Jimin an apology. With hesitation, she also asks him if his weekend is free. She should also question why he is awake so early in the morning but decides to leave that out. It’s never a good sign to bombard a guy with so many texts. It might put him off.

            “It’s about quality, my dear friend, not the quantity.” Jisoo shrugs, a mischievous grin evident on her lips. “Besides, what friend would join you for breakfast at six in the morning?”

            Jennie refrains from cursing. A figure catches her attention. She recognizes Seokjin in the queue. Instantly, anxiety overwhelms her. She realizes that it’s almost half past six, and this time, she does not want to upset him or Dr. Park like yesterday. Jisoo follows her stare. Her friend stutters, face turning into a bright pink colour.

            “W-who is that?” her friend demands. “Is…is he even real?”

Seokjin is dressed in a smart shirt and black trousers. His medical coat exaggerates his long limbs and musician fingers. A

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter