002

See You Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Its been more than a week since she've seen the thief again after that encounter in her apartment. Chaeyeon seems to halt her vices activities as well while the police force continues trying to trace down the infamous thief, not knowing that their every own detective had once again allowed the criminal to escape.
 

Eunbi haven't been acting like her usual self. She's been day-dreaming and suffering from the lack of sleep.

 

"Eunbi. Come to my office."

If it wasn't for Hyewon nudging her, Eunbi would still be stuck in her trance and not heard Nayoung calling out for her. Slapping her face to keep herself focused, Eunbi ignores the worried glances from her friends before walking into her Chief's office.

 

"Yes, Chief Kim?"

The taller girl seems not to be her best mood. Pinching the bridge of her nose, Nayoung sighs and stared at her junior.
 

"The higher-ups are pressuring us to catch that thief. We can't drag this anymore longer its been close to 4 months. What are you and the team doing throughout these weeks?"

Eunbi looks down on the ground, "I'm sorry, Chief Kim."

"I don't want to hear your apology. I want results, Eunbi."

"Yes, Chief Kim. I understand."

"I will give you another week extension. Or I will have to let the higher-up to transfer this case to the other units."

Eunbi's eyes snapped up from the ground, "W-What? A week?"

"Yes. A week. Do you think this is the only case we are taking? We can't just focus on one! We have hundreds of cases coming in each day!"

"I understand."

Demotivated, Eunbi just hunched her shoulders in defeat before bowing to her superior and left her office.

 

"What did she say? Did you get scolded again?" Yena and Hyewon huddled around her. The older woman sigh, "She gave us another week to catch her. Or she will have the case transferred over to other unit."

"Which means that your chance of promotion will be gone as well."

Eunbi ruffled her hair in frustrations, "Ugh, where the hell is that stupid Lee Chaeyeon?"

"Lee Chaeyeon?"

 

.

 

"You found out her name???" Yena widen her eyes, "Why didn't you tell us?"

Great. Now I have tons of explanation to do.

 

"That's weird." Yena creased her brows, "How are we going to track her down like this? She don't even have a phone line?"

"You mentioned about her sister right? I'm sure she's still watching over her somewhere." Hyewon suggested, "Maybe we should station ourselves around the cafe and see if Lee Chaeyeon is lurking around there."

Eunbi nibbled on her lower lips at the younger's plan.

"That sounds like a good plan." Yena supported but yet, something was holding Eunbi back.

 

"Stay away from Chaeryeong and Chaemin. The next time I see you approaching them, I won't just sit still and watch."

 

Eunbi didn't had a good feeling about the plan but the girls were right. Time is not in their favour and she has no other choice to choose from. Her career is at stake. It would be even better if Chaeyeon shows herself up.

 

"Let's go then."

 

•••

 

 

They were stationed in Eunbi's car that was parked just infront of the cafe Chaeryeong was working at. It has been an hour that they have been keeping watch of the neighbourhood before Eunbi finally see Chaeryeong walking into the cafe to clock in.

 

"That's Chaeryeong." Eunbi pointed out.

"Wah she's tall." Yena's jaw dropped, "She looked like she's 170cm!"

"You are just short, stop being jealous."

"You are not any taller than me, Kang."

 

Eunbi rolled her eyes at her collegues childish bickerings. The more she stays with the same-aged pair, the more her head aches.

 

"Yah, you two stop fighting."

"Yena, go to the cafe and observe Chaeryeong. Hyewon you go walk around the neighbourhood to see if Lee Chaeyeon is around."

"What about you?"

The older girl shrugged, "Remember she has one more sister? I will go to her school and see if she's around."

"Okay. Update us again. You will come pick us up right?"

"Do I look like a grab driver to you?"

"Geez, I'm just asking." Yena pouted, "No need get so angsty."

 

Eunbi faked a smile at the younger girl, "I will show you what is true angsty if you two don't get off right now."

 

 

•••

 

 

With a cup of ice americano in her hands, the detective starts loiltering around Chaemin's school trying to spot the said girl amongst of students walking out of the school's premises.

"Yah, Lee Chaemin! Wait up! Let's go back together."

Eunbi snapped her head towards the source of voice and saw her target smiling at her friend. The two linked arms together and chatted while the red-haired followed them discretely. While following the pair, Eunbi's eyes were eyeing all different spots to check if Chaeyeon was doing the same thing as her currently.

However, when she reached Chaemin's block and watch the younger girl enter into the block, there was still no sight of the thief. Sighing heavily, Eunbi threw away the empty cup and check her phone for any updates from Yena and Hyewon.

 

[Yena]

Wah, their cakes are really nice!

[Hyewon]

Are you there to eat or do your work?

[Yena]

Shut up, I can't seem too obvious that I am here to stalk Lee Chaeryeong right? You idiot.

[Hyewon]

Ugh, I should have went the cafe instead. I'm tired now. I don't even see Lee Chaeyeon anywhere.

Eunbi unnie, do you have any updates?

 

Their plan failed.

The red-haired clicked her tongue and send a text to them asking them to go back and rest while she walks back to where her car was parked.

 

"1 week..." Eunbi kicked the small pebbles on the ground mindlessly, "How am I suppose to do that when she don't even show herself up..."

 

With her eyes glued to the ground and her mind floating aimlessly, Eunbi did not notice a person was running into her with full speed.

 

"Move!"

Eunbi jolted up at the familar voice. However, before she could even raise her head up from the ground, she collided into the person. The impact was hard. If it weren't for the hands wrapped around the waist, supporting her, Eunbi's back would have already met the ground.

 

"What the heck are you doing here?"

When her eyes fluttered open, she was greeted by the girl that was in her mind.

Eunbi gasped.

She wasn't surprised by the sudden appearance of Chaeyeon, already used to the latter appearing at the most random hour and setting. What threw her off was the current state that the taller girl was in.

Spreads of purple with yellow blotches ghosted against the smooth surface of Chaeyeon's face. The very same pair of lucious kiss that Eunbi couldn't forget, were cracked with dry blood stainted at the side. The girl was short of breath, hands holding onto her stomach area and panting heavily with her brows creased together in agony and pain.

 

"W-What happened to you?"

Chaeyeon shook her head and kept glancing behind her, "Move. I don't have time to explain to you."

When the thief tried staggering away from the detective, Eunbi was quick to pull her back by her wrist.

 

"Lee Chaeyeon! What the hell happened?"

"None of you bu "

 

" STOP RUNNING. GET BACK HERE."

 

Eunbi found her answer.

Five guys in their mid 40s, armed with baseball bats were running towards their direction. Chaeyeon groaned and tried to yank of Eunbi's hold but the older only tighten her grip and stared at Chaeyeon.

 

"What the hell? Let me go! You can catch me other days, not now!"

"Shut up. Let me handle this."

 

She stood protectively infront of Chaeyeon and waited for the guys to reach them.

 

"Move away if you don't want to get hurt, young lady." One of the guys threatened.

"She has nothing to do with me."

Eunbi heard the girl behind said. She knows that Chaeyeon was subtly trying to protect her and get her out of trouble. But did she forget that she's a freaking detective slash a police?

Brushing away the flutters and butterflies in her chest, Eunbi flashed out her ID.

 

"More like if you don't run now, I will personally send you to the prison for attacking her."

 

The change in expression from the predetaors were epic. They exchanged looks before glaring at Chaeyeon.

 

"You are lucky today, Lee. Don't think that we will let you off that easily the next time."

With that, the guys leave them alone.

 

Eunbi immediately turned aroudn and check on the injured girl.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah. T-Thanks." Chaeyeon can barely utter a word without feeling pain from her cracked lips.

The older woman unwittingly clenched her creased her brows at the sight of the thief being hurt. The taller girl then turned her heels around and stumble her way away from the detective. The red-haired sigh and gently dragged the confused girl to her car, forcing her in without any words.

 

"What are you doing?"

Chaeyeon questioned, watching the shorter girl starting the engine.

 

"Are you going to bring me to the police? Huh. I thought you play fairer than this, Kwon. I'm hurt and you can't just catch me like this."

"It ain't fun."

 

That's was Eunbi was suppose to do. Who cares if she's injured? It was a good chance for Eunbi to finally catch this thief and get the promotion.

 

Yet, that was the last thing Eunbi thought of.

 

"Where do you think you are going with those injuries?" Eunbi simply responded, "I am not letting you stagger your way back to your place like that and scaring other people who see you."

"What? So are you going to bring me to the police and charge me for being an inconvience to the public for being beaten up?"

Eunbi slammed her hands on the steerling wheel at Chaeyeon's scarasm and reminder that she could do her job as a detective. But Eunbi was rejecting that idea as much as she knew that it was the wrong choice.
 

The taller girl jumped up at the sudden aggressive Eunbi.

 

"I'm not bringing you to the police. So just shut up and behave."

Throughout the ride, Chaeyeon kept shut and grasped onto the seatbelt, swallowing down the awkward tension in the car. Chaeyeon noted that angry Eunbi is not one to mess with.

 

 

•••

 

 

To say she was surprised, was an understatement.

Chaeyeon wasn't even ashamed of staring so obviously at the beauty infront of her dabbing alcohol swabs on the blotches. To think that a detective was so willing to allow a wanted criminal into her house and tend to her wounds like this. The thief didn't want to think much about the older's action but at the same time, she couldn't help the palpations of her chest.

Hopefully the red-haired did not hear those embarassing beats.

 

"Who are they?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter