Chapter 1 – You know better

GERVAIS

The constant sounds of people walking rather quickly outside the meeting hall, accompanied by loud chattering which they insisted called as discussing killed the beauty of tonight’s peace. A group of mercenaries has spent a good of three hours scheming our next mission deliberately. Visualizing the battlefield using a map on this perimeter as aid, their bickering could not be any louder. Arguing whether the ground is too steep to deploy another blockade. It is distinct that our defense is getting worse, with enormous assassination; even if we’re the best when it comes to eliminating the enemy, we’re not blinded by our loss.

 

The last mission bites the last big chunk of our team. The adversary acquisitions were underestimated, displaying our mistake by losing a great number of casualties. At least two hundred of our soldiers were killed, tortured and burned alive. Our first mistake and that cost us the quality of this army. One ing mistake, where we believe we can win the fight again without breaking a sweat. Because we’ve done it before. What we don’t realize is the moment our leader wanted me to stay behind, not going out with them to the war. The moment our leader wanted his main team to focus on developing our power instead, that is the moment he finally learns what’s like to lose a fight.

 

His rancor towards humanity multiple. He coerces to seek revenge, this time making sure only I and the others follow the melee. We have one day to get ready, he said, then he’ll launch a full counter-attack with me in the front line. A risky method he uses, he might have lost me instead of in the battle, and that will be the end of him. But his ego did not want to cooperate; he demands to finish it quickly. Therefore our team is the only way. Besides, he knows it well, with my ability and the other main goal which is to protect me in every way, they won’t let anyone come near me. But still, being terrified because for the first time we didn’t have any backup, the others are practicing their asses off. We’re on our own.

 

“Lu for sake, get down here! We need you to warm up for tomorrow!” Jongdae, one of my teammate, basically shout from the training field outside the building. It’s clear he’s irritated by the way I’ve been ignoring him for a while and I’m sure soon when he comes up he’ll use his power on me. Inducing me until he literally satisfied and dragged me downstairs. I just don’t understand, we have lived for over a century yet they think they’re still not developed enough. It is down to me in the end anyway, so why are they working so hard. If it’s me, I better go train the other soldiers than practice. Loving the way I can make their time a living hell for a couple of hours.

 

The weird thing around here is that every – and I do mean every mortal creature who wants to join we welcome them with respect, but there is a catch, they who we hired or voluntarily step up to be a part of us; get to train for five days nonstop. Learn how to engage, salvage, stifle, track, or even skin that filthy human. And unfortunately for them, the guy that coach and lead them in every simulation is a heartless bastard, Me.

 

The record was eleven hours. Just a few hours after he literally begged our leader to cast him to his group, he died. Yes, of course, he died in my watch on my training ground. His legs were dislocated from a little fighting combat one on one, and his opponent did not waver, he still in for the kill. I could have stopped him, in fact, I should have. But where’s the fun in that? I still remember looking him straight in the eyes; my smirk couldn’t get any wider as I watch him slowly giving up. I scoff, mortals are weak.

 

Attempting to refuse to acknowledge his empty bark did not receive the result I was looking for.  I was hoping so dearly he would get the loud word of I don’t give a in my lack of response to him, but of course, he just won’t let me be and marched toward the crafted black mahogany door. A furious look plastered Krystal clear on his face, challenging any man who dares to block his way or anyone that is stupid enough to tell him off.  Little electricity already seeped from his fist. Loud sort pants of his ragged breath amuse me, he knew me well.  He must get the point that I’m only messing out. I smirk at him, can’t possibly wait any longer to see what he’ll do next. Maybe he’ll yell at me to drag my out there, or he’ll do what he does best these days when I’m acting up, give an exaggerated sigh and then leave.

 

One of the mercenaries suddenly clears his throat, obviously seeking some . Not even moving my body to face him, I gave him a bored look. He clearly pissed at my teammate over there ‘cause all the havoc they’ve been doing in this godforsaken boring place has been set on a pile of disorientated papers, some even falling to the floor. Oh please. Give the baby a candy; he got one of a hell hideous frown face. I rolled my eyes at him ready to snap that little neck he’s tilting while glaring daggers at me. That’s when I heard a scoff from across the table. I side glance at him, loving the way he was losing control so fast.

 

“You know Lu; you have ears to listen to others. And when they ask you nicely-“He gritted the last part with efforts, “You need to ing do it!”

 

I tsked him repeatedly as I mocked swaying my palm sideways as a sign of no. “I don’t have ears to listen to you Jongdae.” Smirking once again, I crossed my arms.

 

Suddenly he extends his arm and wave of lightning bolt struck out, putting the lights to shame as the electricity overpower them in that division. His destructive bolt missed me by centimeters as I kick the edge of the table riding the chair I sit to slam the right way. And a second later I heard the window shielding the entire room wall break down making all people scream on top of their lungs and covered their ears whilst crouching down. Now now, we should not be overreacting. He just smashes the glass, big deal.

 

However, when I saw the damage of his struck I was momentarily impressed by not just the glass has been broke not even left a single piece stuck to its place but he also swept the huge oval table at the center of the room burn to a crisp and redecorating the floor by his bolt track. Well not bad. Not bad at all….. For a kid maybe. But he’s been developing his power for gods know how long and I was expecting the entire room to be electrocuted too, yet this is all he got. Oh dear, this won’t do.

 

Slowly I rise and stand straight, fixing my gaze right at him. Silently challenging him to charge again. By now the only one in the room is us, the rest already flee when they see the stalled incident. With the motion of my hand, I call him to continue, maybe then I won’t be so disappointed. Who knows? And then the fight begins again.

 

He charges at me straight away one by one as he extracts his arm alternately. I manage to avoid each attack he deploys whereas I find a way to get closer to him. After a moment of futile offends, he gets angrier so he did the unthinkable, he crouches down a little bit as he smirks at me while his hands on the floor. I think fast and suddenly knew what his plan is. Jumping with all my might into the air I can see the ground becoming so bright as he delivers his full power to the surface of this room. The time I step foot again I catch his shock expression, disbelieving the fact I can read his moves.

 

Assuming I had enough fun in this I ran towards him and use my power to grab him and bring him onto the air then slam him right onto the hard wall. His head made a loud bang noise as it collides. Where his arms I trapped beside him so he couldn’t move, he whimpers softly. Attempting to be free from my grasp when he knows damn well it wouldn’t happen. I watched him squirming around like a helpless worm in glee.  This er truly thinks he can beat me, eh? Well now watch where his ego leads him.

 

The time he stops his tries, I step closer to him. Putting my mouth right beside his ears, “This is the result of your precious practice time for a hundred years?” I asked softly, whereas he can only groan to respond. “I’m sad really. You can’t even hit me one time.” I put my best sad face, acting as if he wounded me.

 

“Put him down, Luhan.” A loud and deep voice cut through the tension in the air behind me.

 

I smile my famous smile as the rumor said that it only belongs to the devil himself. A sinister smile I plastered whenever I kill those mortals. The smile that I display whenever I wanted to rip someone's heart out.  And right now, those are the ones I wanted the most. To maliciously murdered the man behind me. To be able to plunge my hand into that man’s chest and fist his heart. Watch how he slowly losing life whilst his blood pooling beneath my feet, entertaining me.

 

Oh, how I wish greatly it would be true. Someday I may be able to seek revenge. How I wish I can finally fulfill my dream to destroy his life as he once did to mine. When he captured what’s mine. Separating me from what has been created especially for me. Making my life pure torture. But ironically, here I am, serving him with my life on the line. Accepting him to be my leader, and letting him believe that I will always be loyal to him.

 

Turning away to see him, I put Jongdae down on the process and make my lip into a sweet gesture when I face him. “As you wish Kris.”