CH.3 - Call Call Call

Whose Baby are You?

 

 

(Present Universe) - Practice Room

“Can you explain that to me again?” 

 

Jeonghan was honestly still a bit confused on what was happening.

 

Little Chan was currently sleeping peacefully in Jihoon’s arms. Mingyu and Seokmin were crowding in front of him to get a touch of his plump cheeks; a persistent duo who weren’t bothered by their annoyed hyung who was swatting their hands away. From the sides, the maknaes (plus Jun) stood awkwardly, trying to get a glimpse of the boy. The members are all smitten for baby Chan but… it was still too freaky for him.

 

They did try to convince him to carry Chan next, after Soonyoung’s arms were becoming numb from carrying the child. But Jeonghan...  he needed an explanation first. He’ll carry the child once everything’s been made clear to him. For sure. (or when he finally gets the courage to)

 

“... so from figuring out Channie's friends and parents, I thought that maybe it would be you and Cheol hyung. His parents.” He can only blink back at Hoshi who had been explaining to him for the past minutes. This… this is a lot to absorb.

 

“And you’re saying, all of this is alright with you? Hoshi, you married Woozi! And Shua, you’re with Kyeom! And our members are our kids? Isn’t this too strange?” Jeonghan sighed, a bit frustrated, at the shrug of his friends. Joshua sensed it from Jeonghan. He wasn’t taking the situation well? He can’t blame him, though. Jeonghan will be expected to take responsibility once the child wakes up. And his friend wasn’t sure if he could take it. He went forward to give his brother a comforting hand on the back. Their eyes met, and in the distance closed between them, Joshua can see the bit of uncertainty in Jeonghan’s eyes. It was his turn to sigh.

 

“It’s weird, but it’s happening and we just need to bear with it at the moment until his real parents can get him. Also, Jeonghan, we aren’t the parents and we aren’t the ones who married who so don’t be… too stressed about it. I know all of this is weird, and it is a lot to take in, but that little boy will need you to be his mama when he wakes up. Nothing against your gender, just… he’s been crying and hurting so much trying to find his mama and papa. We hope you can try to fill in some happiness in him? Just for a few hours, Jeonghan. Please.” Jeonghan was just silent, looking a bit out of it while also seeming to be contemplating the situation. Good. That’s good. He’s thinking about it and he knew the heart of his friend. Jeonghan’s too kind hearted to just leave them in this.

 

“I… I don’t know if I can do this, Shua. I can’t be mama to him.” He finally said it, and Joshua can only give a sympathetic smile to him. “You wouldn’t be alone, Han. We’re his aunts and uncles. We will help you with Chan. We just really need you to be there for him, like his anchor.” Jeonghan continued to be still for some more moments. Joshua allowed him to just take his time because he can just imagine the pressure being put on his friend. 

 

“Can I talk to Jeonghan, of the other universe? You know what I mean. If I’m doing this, I want to do it right. I want to learn how to be mama for Chan.” Joshua and Hoshi shared a smile. They knew they could count on their Jeonghan hyung. Though they were a bit hesitant on how to do about the request. Will it work the same way like they did with AU Seungcheol? 

 

“Soon, can you get me my phone?” Well, one way to find out.

.

.

.

.

.

Jisoo dialed in Jeonghan’s number, the said friend on standby with his own phone just in case they failed to connect to Mrs. Choi (Jeonghan felt a shudder run through him when Hoshi tried to name his AU self with that, to avoid the confusion he says). It rang longer, and when someone finally picked up, they couldn’t hear anything. Still, it was a good sign that Jeonghan’s phone didn’t light up. It meant that they connected! But why are they not hearing anything?

 

“B-ba bububa! *shuffling noises*” Joshua raised an eyebrow. What was that? He got the attention of both Jeonghan and Hoshi who asked him what’s happening.

 

“I don’t know. There’s a noise but I don’t know what it is.”

 

“Put it on speaker. Maybe we can figure it out. Mrs.Ch- I mean AU Han might be just muffled.” Hoshi suggested while trying to evade the glare sent to him by his Hani hyung. Joshua did as was suggested. The moment he did, however, the room was filled with the sound of children laughing and squealing along with a louder sound of… was that a baby? Immediately the attention of all was on them. Even Cheol who was talking with AU Mingyu got distracted. Wonwoo, who was then with Seungcheol, got curious and went to be with them. With him, the group also welcomed Seokmin who was showing an excited expression.

 

“Is that… “ The main vocal was shushed when they heard a gentle humming that was gradually becoming clearer. 

 

*Please imagine the tune of the Mr. Golden Sun song :>*

“Hao-hao, oh mr. cutie Hao, please smile wide for me. And mr. Hao-Hao, my precious baby Hao, mama loves you always! Saranghae!” What followed was a burst of little giggles from the baby and his mama making cooing noises. This was Soonyoung, or rather the AU version of their friend, but still! Her voice sounds so delicate and full of love! 

 

The group found themselves with all of the members (except Cheol, Woozi, and their still missing maknae), who had come closer as the song went. It was silent as they just stared at their choreographer in awe, before a hand found patting the back of Hoshi. “Mama Soon!” Seungkwan exclaimed feeling a bit of pride for his mama friend. From the voice and the song, he knows that AU Soonyoung was a loving mother to his son. Speaking of, he looked in the opposite direction to see Minghao suppressing a happy, satisfied expression. Oh, so it wasn’t only him who got (very) touched.

 

They began to focus again when they heard a thud followed by whimpers from a child. A rush of footsteps came then they could hear another soothing voice of a mother. Jisoo. It was definitely this hyung (or unnie?). 

 

“Oh no no, Kwanie princess. Don’t cry, mommy’s got you, love. Where does it hurt, angel?” They can hear more whimpers but these were more hushed and calmed. “M-mama…” The little voice was so pure that it hurt to hear the child in pain. “Shhh, Kwanie’s my strong princess, right? Mama will kiss the pain away, okay? 1, 2, 3 *kiss* There! Are you feeling better now, baby?” There were a few sniffles but the chuckles of the girl was enough to assure the mother (and them) that Seungkwanie’s alright. They heard AU Jisoo give a relieved chuckle, also hinting some pride for her brave daughter. 

 

“Hurray!” Mingyu whispered while the others shushed him as they could hear a new sound. Little footsteps? Oh, they had an idea on who this could be. “Mama, Kwanie sick?” They had to coo at that small concerned voice from the other baby. “Aww is oppa worried for his sister? Kwanie’s alright, baby. Want to give her a hug? I’m sure it will make her super better!” And the listeners can only assume that they did as they heard happy chuckles from the children and their mother next. “Pain, pain go away!” “That’s it Solie-ah, you made the pain go away! Good job oppa!”

 

Seungkwan was pressing his lips to conceal the smile that was slipping. That was so cute! He turned to look at Vernon who was across from him. He couldn’t have held it, not when he saw his friend and ‘brother’ looking at him the way he only could. Vernon’s got that look that was a mix of awkward and confused and it made him burst in laughter. “Pfft….Hahahaha Vernon! What’s that face?! It’s okay, bro.” Seokmin, who was beside the mentioned member, turned the younger to look at him and he too found his expression funny. He chuckled and pulled Vernon close to a hug and playful pats on the arm and back. Though still a bit confused, Vernon got to smiling as well. Joshua, who was with Seungkwan, was shushing the other vocal. Their interaction could have just been fond, but it became more special to the eyes of the other onlookers especially when these 4 constitute a family in an alternate universe.

 

Their laughter, however, reached the other line. They hadn’t noticed when but it seemed that the phone was moved to a quieter place. “Hello? Is this the other Jisoo?” It was AU Jeonghan! Joshua scrambled to get the phone that had been placed in the center when the members began to huddle around them. “Y-yeah, this is the...um… other Jisoo. I’m really sorry for calling.”

 

“It’s okay. Is something wrong? Is Chan alright?” It was evident there was worry in her voice. Joshua glanced at Jeonghan and reached for him. 

 

"Chan's doing fine. He's currently sleeping with Jihoon. It's just… um… our Jeonghan has some questions." Joshua could hear a relieved sigh, and a more softer tone from mother. She must have understood the purpose of the call. 

 

"I'm all for the questions. Fire them away, Chan can sometimes be a handful too. *chuckle*" It was heard by all since it was still in loud speaker, but everyone knew she was addressing it to Jeonghan. 

The group dispersed to give the two Jeonghans their privacy. They decided to just spend the rest of the night at the company because apart from it being so late already, they also didn't want a chance to have others see baby Chan and cause more problems for the team. And so the members became busy with arranging their sleeping setup. 

 

While they were doing that, Chan woke up. He seemed to be still sleepy but nonetheless awake. "Mama…" 

 

All heads trned in the direction of the boy who was yawning and rubbing an eye awake. Jeonghan felt a pull to go to him but he was still in a call with the other Han. He looked at Seungcheol who thankfully met eyes with him and as if he was telepathic, nodded at him and headed for Chan. He kept watch as the ‘dad’ carefully got the child into his arms. If a smile slipped on his lips, none would have noticed.

 

Seungcheol was a bit hesitant at the get go when Jihoon was passing the boy to him. Sure, he carried his Chan but not his ‘baby son’ Chan. He was so little and vulnerable and.... oh, he’s okay. Seungcheol glared at the producer for dumping the baby at him when he was not yet ready and received a shrug from the friend. He wanted to give him a scolding but was put on halt as the boy squirmed and raised his head to finally see the face of his ‘papa’.

 

“Papa!” The father figure had to brace one arm back as Chan bounced on his lap and tackled him to a hug. He was shocked and still a bit uncertain about this but he can’t help but to feel this warm feeling pooling inside him. As if testing the waters, he slowly enclosed his hands to hug the little body clinging on to him and… he couldn’t have stopped it. He broke into a smile. 

 

‘Is this what having a child feels like?’

 

The boy was crying as he was finally reunited with his papa. Seungcheol gently took him so they were meeting eyes and he can wipe the tears of the little one with his sleeves. Chan was only eager to return back to his embrace and, ever welcome, he found himself buried in Cheol’s chest again. The ‘father’ would just pat his back and give kisses to the top of his head. Not really knowing why he was doing it. It just felt like something he should do.

 

“Shhh, love. P-papa’s here. We won’t leave you anymore, Chan. Chan was so brave.” 

 

“Ch-Chan brave…” the boy repeated that had him release a soft (and proud) chuckle. 

 

“Yes you are, baby”. He gently stood up, still with Chan in his arms so he could rock him back to sleep. It was already late and the boy had gone through a lot. He should be sleeping, right? Well, even if this doesn’t get him to sleep, at least it was helping Chan feel more calm. 

 

He took a glance at s whose eyes were all on him. He just gave them a very satisfied smile and mouthed ‘He’s so precious’. At that, he received pats on the back and thumbs up from his equally proud members. While scanning through the room, he again met eyes with Jeonghan. The smile of the latter was obvious to him, and it was the one that looked fond. 

 

Seungcheol brushed the head of ‘his son’. “Baby, let’s go to mama.” he whispered to the sleepy child. Sleep must have shaken off however when he heard about his mama. The leader cooed as the boy started new tears at the though of seeing his mama again. Slowly, the ‘father and son’ duo approached the still nervous Jeonghan who just got out of call. 

 

“Cheol…w-wait I… please…” It ached his heart how Chan was reaching for him with his chubby cheeks wet and still flowing with tears. “M-mama… mama…”

 

“You’re gonna be alright, Han.” And ready or not, Jeonghan was passed the boy who was eager to be in his mama’s hold. 

 

“Mama… Chan miss you! Mama love Chan? S-sowie, mama. Chan bad… m-mama mad.” No. Oh no, he already messed this up. He wanted to give him back to Seungcheol who remained at his side but the other just helped him hold the little one better. 

 

“Don’t be afraid. Slowly, you can do it.” 

 

Jeonghan gulped and started by combing the boy’s hair with a shaky hand. And after, he doesn’t know what came to him, it just clicked. He kissed the boy’s forehead that caused Chan to look up to his ‘mother’. Jeonghan can feel another tug at the pitiful face of the child and moved to wipe his tears away with his sleeves also. Cheol kept present by caressing the boy’s back. 

 

“M-mama… Mama’s not mad, baby. I missed you too… so much and love you very very much!” He pulled the boy back into the croon of his neck and just embraced him, hoping to transfer as much love as he can to Chan. His heart fluttered as he could feel Chan clutch his sweater and bury his face there.

 

“Chan l-love mama”

 

“I love you too, baby. Shhh… mama won’t leave you anymore. We’ll always be together, okay?” How could he bear to see this precious gem be sad like this? He can’t take it. He’ll be mama, alright, just for baby Chan. He’ll do it. 

 

He felt someone placing a hand on his shoulder. He turned and was met by the same big smile of Seungcheol but he had to chuckle when he saw a bit of embarrassment and shyness from the leader

 

“Good job. Let’s do our best for baby Chan...umm… sorry if it will be awkward but glad to have you on board ‘mama’” He had to chuckle at that, rousing the little one to look up to both his ‘parents’ and also give a small smile of his own.

 

“We’ve been doing this for almost 10 years with the members. Okay, for this once, I’ll be ‘mama’. I expect you to support me, pa- you know what this is becoming too awkward hahaha”

 

“Yup, agreed.” Both of their cheeks reddened when someone teased them to get a room. (‘Yah! It’s not like that!’)

 

Everyone was proud of their Jeonghan hyung, especially Joshua who saw how hesitant and scared his friend was. This was a big jump. Way beyond Han’s comfort zone and still… he looked so natural now as Chan’s mother. Jeonghan and Seungcheol worked on comforting and putting to sleep the child who was very comfortable in his ‘mother’s’ embrace. The others were either keeping watch at the side or were deciding who got to sleep where with rock, papers and scissors.

 

Joshua yawned, it had been a really exhausting day today. Soon, all of them can sleep and be done for the day…

 

His eyes went open as he felt his phone vibrating in his pocket. Sleepy and not having any energy left to check who it was, he just accepted the call.

 

“Yeobo! How are you doing with the kids? They’re not giving you so much trouble, aren’t they? We’re almost finished and I can finally cuddle with my beloved angels!” Yup, that got him very much awake again, especially when he didn’t notice he had also pressed the loud speaker button. His cheeks blushed red when suddenly he was the center of attention. Goodness, even Chan was looking at him!

 

“Seok-seokmin…” Not helping for sure is that he can see DK  also looking at him in confusion.

 

“What’s wrong, love? Are you okay?” Alright, this was too weird.

 

“Wr-wrong Jisoo.” The other line went silent.

 

“Hello?”

 

“I’m really sorry! That was supposed to be for my wife. Reallys sorry, other Jisoo! That may have been uncomfortable.” It sure was but he didn’t want to make the other feel more guilty.

 

“It’s okay haha, we’re all good. Um… just remember that our phones connect to each other’s universe so calls for your spouses may end up um… here, with us receiving haha… sorry.”

 

More awkward chuckles and explanations was exchanged between the two with DK slowly getting more near to him probably because he was curious and finding all of this amusing. Eventually, AU Seokmin asked if he could go to his family and be finished for the night. 

 

Just then, they can hear a yell from the back. “To Wonwoo-shi there, please please don’t read the message I sent you!” It was Mingy who sounded panicked and embarrassed. Wonwoo was all on complying since he respects the privacy of the couple. Usually he’d never miss free entertainment but this will also concern him and yeah, it’s a pass for him. 

 

AU Wonwoo had other ideas however.

 

“Wonwoo-shi, Mingyu might forget to tell me later or he may chicken out of it. Can you please tell me what he said?” Her voice was flat but knowing how he is, there was a hidden scheme behind it. He chuckled nervously as he browsed for the message. ‘Nothing SPG please’ He silently pled.

 

Reading the message, he gave a sigh of relief. Thank goodness it was clean. Still, he can’t help the heat that rose from his cheeks. “Um… It’s sweet? I really think Mingyu-shi should read it for you-"

 

“No, *chuckle* I promise you, it’s okay. I know my husband.” What a bold statement that honestly he didn’t expect would come from him.

 

Mingyu was also curious and had peered his head over Wonwoo’s shoulder. Just then, an idea came to the shorter. If Mingyu was so curious and this was supposedly was Mingyu’s message for AU Wonwoo, maybe…

 

“Mingyu will read it for you.” It was his turn to laugh at the shocked expression of his friend. 

 

“Hyung! I can’t… what are you…”

 

“Even more perfect! *chuckle* Mingyu-shi, can you please?” Wonwoo had to bear a glare from the taller but he was sure it was all worth it.

 

“Okay, here it goes…

My Bitterie!

Are you still doing, okay? Is Junnie, causing problems for mommy?

You’ve been doing such a great job, baby. I don’t know how you do it at all.

It must have been a very tiring day for you. My poor Bitterie TuT

But know I’m here for you always, love. Just call for me and I’ll be there in a sec. 

I’ll just endure Cheol hyungs scolding and have my comfort in your embrace. Hehe

You’ll allow me to cuddle with you and Junnie, right? Right? (please say yes TuT)

Rest up first when you finish. Don’t wait for me and sleep when baby asks mommy for sleep!

But if you’ll have trouble sleeping, wait for me! I’ll be sure to shower you with kisses and massages <3

 

Love you very much, Wonwoo. Always. 

Your Sweetie (Mingyu) <3

 

And then a lot of heart and kissy  emojis at the end. W-Wonwoo shi”

 

Wonwoo read it for sure, but having it read by Mingyu and hearing his voice was another thing. It was a new side of his friend and he was… perfect for it. He may not be able to hide the red on his face but at least he can keep his thoughts.

 

‘You’ll be a good father someday, Gyu. And your wife will just be the luckiest.’

 

They were interrupted by the sound of a chair moving and AU Mingyu frantic about something.

 

“Won… careful, love. Where are you going?”

 

“To our room, and you’ll come with me. I want our cuddles and massages, sweetie” Surrounded by fond chuckles from both universes, with the exception of the blushing Wonwoo and Mingyu, the AU Meanie couple went to bed.

 

They were about to end the call at that good note when AU Jihoon spoke up. “I’m really sorry for keeping you longer but… did Soonyoung send you a photo? Sorry, she always sends me one every night.” AU Jihoon may not have said it directly but they were sure he was talking to their Woozi.

 

To the surprise of all, he smiled and even gave a small laugh. “She did. You have a tiger mom and baby waiting for you. I’ll forward it to AU Cheol hyung so you can see. And um… can I keep a copy of it?”

 

Now everyone is curious about the picture. They went to Jihoon and crowded around him. A tight squeeze but at least, everyone was able to see. In the picture was Soonyoung, her hair down at just past shoulder level with her signature 10:10 eyes and hamster cheeks. She looked a bit tired but her smile was genuine for sure. Laying on her chest is a sleeping Myungho who looked very peaceful in her mother’s hold. It was so adorable! But what made it more special was the matching tiger pajamas of the mother and son. 

 

“This is so Hoshi! Really dude? Even to your baby?” Soonyoung was a bit startled before getting into the light mood with pulling Hao closer to him. “Hahaha we are tigers!” They were laughing, Myungho too, and it was also nice to hear the laughter of the father at the other line.

 

“That tiger fanatic woman *chuckle*. She’s very lucky I love her and Hao and that both of them are the most adorable. Cheol, hyung. I’ll go up to my wife and son. Go to Hani Unnie soon, okay?”

 

“I will. I miss her too. You guys too! Thank you, really, for all your effort and hardwork. The machine’s finished and we might go there tomorrow morning or when the kids are up. We’ll be bringing them with us so you can also meet them. Plus, we’re also very curious how our children will look in the future and um… the male versions of our wives haha. Oh, please prepare play mats and toys if you have any.”

.

.

.

.

.

All had been asleep when he came. He couldn’t even question why his hyungs would suddenly have a night over at the studio but the randomness was nothing new to him so he thought it was alright. He can’t believe his shoot ran so late. The studio’s lights were already turned off so it was a bit of a struggle finding the bed reserved for him (‘they did remember to have one for me, right’?) Dino had to be careful not to step at the tall figures of his hyungs. Thankfully, he reached his place, just behind Seungcheol and Jeonghan. He was so tired today. Thank goodness it was their day off tomorrow. He’s just hoping nothing unexpected will come up.