It was because I liked the photo?

Cruel Summer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yoo Jimin's day usually starts with her waking up early, having the time to exercise, eat breakfast, and then prepare for school. 

 

However, today was different. 

 

Exams just ended yesterday, and her roommate, Aeri, leisurely threw an end-of-semester party at their dorm house, which resulted in her sleeping past her bedtime. Jimin had no problem with this, except her body was so used to her waking up early.

 

In the end, she begrudgingly got up from her bed and went downstairs and to get some breakfast. There, she met Yizhuo, who was cooking. She had known the younger girl since middle school. She was one of her first friends since moving to their hometown. "Morning Yizhuo, you're early today," Jimin said as she went to one of the counters and grabbed some bread to eat.

 

She saw the younger girl look over her and cheekily smiled, "Oh Jimin Unnie, good morning. Actually, I haven't slept yet."

 

"Oh?" She heard Yizhuo laugh, "I got caught up talking with Aeri Unnie about music. The next thing I know, it was already morning." Jimin could only shake her head as she went to the fridge to get some milk. She could never stay up late, even not sleeping at all. She knows her body can't take it as she's so used to her current everyday schedule. "Don't forget to get some sleep later, Okay?"

 

"Of course, Unnie." She smiled at Yizhuo before leaving the kitchen.

 

As her room is on the top floor of their dorm house, she took her time to reach there by walking through the stairs. It's her morning exercise. After all, she's kind of lazy to go to the gym. 

 

She was wondering where her roommate was, so she took her phone and called her. It took a bit a while before the other girl answered the call, "Aeri?"

 

"Hmmm..."

 

"Where are you?"

 

"Hmm? Dorm..."

 

Jimin chuckled, "I know that. I meant, where are you right now? Here at the dorm?" She could hear some rustling and little noises on the other line, "I...uuhhh...ah...sofa. Sofa."

 

Jimin stopped from her tracks, "Okay, do you want me to get you? You seemed really drunk."

 

"Noooo...I'm gooooddd. Ningningie is hheeerrreee."

 

The raven-haired girl could only shake her head, "Okay, call me if you need anything." She heard the other girl hummed in response before cutting off the call. She sighed. She didn't expect Aeri to be that drunk. If she knew, she should have stopped her roommate from drinking too much. 

 

Even though it has only been 5 months since she moved to this dorm house, everyone has been really welcoming to her, especially Aeri, and she is very thankful for that. 

 

Well, there was one person she didn't expect to meet.

 

Coincidentally, she was on her floor, specifically, in front of her room. It was like how heaven's seemed to be playing games with her. This is not what she needed right now. She sighed and continued to walk up the stairs to reach her room, which happens to be the floor above.

 

As she settled on her bed, she slowly ate her breakfast as she scrolled over her social media. On her Instagram, she saw a lot of pictures from last night's party. Personally, she doesn't remember much other than laughing at someone else's bad jokes and drinking. She didn't drink much as she knows she has a low tolerance to alcohol.

 

As she mindlessly scrolled down, she stumbled onto her post. It made her stop. She doesn't remember following her Insta account, so she doesn't know why she can see her post. The post was a picture of her, Aeri, and Yizhuo. The 3 of them were smiling. Clearly, they had a good time last night. She wanted to ignore the picture and moved on, but for some point, she can't help but be tempted to like it.

 

There's nothing wrong with liking one photo. The photo was taken well, so it was right and okay to like it. Right?

 

She wasn't sure, but she liked it anyway. It's not a big deal. It was just a picture with her in it. 

 

It's not like she hates her that's why she's avoiding her. Everything that happened over the years had tainted their so-called relationship. She doesn't know how to approach the blonde girl anymore. It doesn't help that they have the same circle of friends now.

 

She continued to scroll over her social media until her phone alerted that it was low in battery. She had already finished her breakfast by that time, so she decided to take a bath.

 

It took her a while to finish as she was savoring every minute she had while taking a bath. She hummed to a melodic tune as she went back to her room and changed into more comfortable clothes. As she was done drying her hair, knocks on her door were heard. She furrowed her brows, thinking who could be the person on the other side of the door. "Wait." She hurriedly combed her semi-wet hair and opened the door. 

 

"Minjeong?" Jimin was confused. Why was she, Kim Minjeong, knocking at her door? She was the last person she could think of.

 

"What are you doing here?" Jimin noticed the other girl flinched. She didn't mean to sound really cold just now. She was just taken aback by her presence. 

 

After all, they barely talked with one another.

 

"Hi...?" Kim Minjeong looked really awkward in front of her. She doesn't understand what was going on. By instinct, Jimin put her walls up, crossed her arms, and asked again, "Do you need something? Minjeong-sshi?"

 

Jimin find it really weird that Minjeong was nervous in front of her, "If you are looking for Aeri, she's not here-"

 

"I know." She didn't expect Minjeong would cut her, "I mean, I am actually here...to talk to...you." This made Jimin speechless. Talk...to me?

 

She noticed the blonde girl was about to speak again. However, noises from their other dorm mates can be heard. It made Jimin uncomfortable, for some reason. She personally prefers for them to talk in private. "Let's not talk here."

 

She let Minjeong inside her room. Jimin knows this wasn't the first time the blonde girl was inside her and Aeri's room, but she can't help to be nervous as it was their first time together, in one room, after a long time.

 

"So, what do you want to talk about?" 

 

Minjeong was still very nervous. She notices how the blonde girl was looking everywhere but her. "I know this is sudden, and this is really random. I mean, we are not on talking terms or anything..."

 

Minjeong was rambling. It wasn't the first time Jimin was seeing this. She knows Minjeong tends to prolong the point, especially when she's very, very nervous. "Minjeong." The blonde girl sighed before looking straight at her, "Yoo Jimin, will you be my girlfriend?"

 

Every cell in Jimin's body just stopped working. She couldn't comprehend what she just heard, girlfriend...what?

 

No, this is not happening. Jimin tried to speak, but she remained frozen. She tried to think of a possible reason why Kim Minjeong, the girl she had a rocky relationship with for years, out of nowhere, asked her to be her girlfriend. This must be a prank. 

 

The last time she checked, the blonde girl was as straight as a ruler. She waited for a little to see if Minjeong would suddenly say it was just a prank.

 

But she didn't. 

 

Instead, the blonde girl remained nervous in front of her while waiting for her to speak. What is going on?

 

"...this was a bad idea." It took a while before Jimin noticed the blonde girl was leaving her room. "Wait," she immediately grabbed Minjeong's arm, "why are you asking me to be your girlfriend?" 

 

She saw fear in Minjeong's eyes, and she doesn't understand why. Her phone suddenly rang from her bedside table. It continues to ring, which annoyed the hell out of the raven-haired girl, "don't go just yet, I'm not done with you."

 

Jimin immediately went to her phone to silence it, only to be surprised to see her older sister calling her. "Unnie?"

 

"YAH! Yoo Jimin!!! I am very offended right now. You told me your single days ago. Did you just lie to me? How come I am the last person to know that you have a girlfriend already?" Girlfriend? What?

 

First, it was Minjeong. Now, her sister. Jimin doesn't understand what was going on.

 

"What are you talking about, Unnie?"

 

"Don't play dumb with me, my dear sister," her older sister acted like she was hurt, "I don't like the fact that I learned from others that my beautiful younger sister is taken. You should have told me first." Jimin was about to retort when her sister saw Minjeong at the back. "Oh!! Your girlfriend is here." 

 

It was at that moment when everything clicked to Jimin, she looked over to where Minjeong was, and by the expressions and responses she was giving, it seemed Jimin's hunch was right.

 

"...Mom wants to meet her officially, as your girlfriend."

 

"What?" Mom knows?

 

"Anyway, love you both. See ya." The video call ended.

 

Jimin was shocked. No, shocked seemed to be an understatement at this point. There were a lot of questions in her head, and she can't seem to find a proper reason why this was happening. She looked over her phone, only to see a bunch of texts from different acquaintances asking and congratulating her for the supposed news.

 

News she had no idea about but was involved in.

 

She accidentally put her phone a bit too rough on her table, "Is this the reason why you asked me to be your girlfriend?"

 

She slowly walked towards her, "You know, Minjeong." The coldness of her voice was deliberate. "I prefer when I am informed ahead." She went near Minjeong's ear and whispered, "I really don't like to be kept in the dark."

 

She was slowly losing control of her emotions. She is not a fan of being kept in the dark. She had experienced a lot of that growing up, and she hates it. She hates it so much. She wants to lash out at her, again. But she doesn't want to repeat what happened in the past, so she tries to calmly wait for the other girl to explain.

 

Jimin had expected Minjeong to explain thoroughly or rambled yet again the possible reason why they are in this mess. However, what she didn't expect was the formal kneel. 

 

"I am so sorry, Jimin-sshi. This is all my fault."

 

It was a bit too much. "Minje-"

 

"I made a mistake by telling a lie to Wendy Unnie about me having a girlfriend. And out of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter