Clover

The Butterfly's Phantasy

Chan kept glancing at the clock. It was nearing 6pm and the board was about to finish the last item on the agenda. 

“So are we all in agreement?” Chan heard the board of directors’ secretary say.

Chan had a good feeling so he nodded “I’m in agreement.” 

The others promptly agreed and the meeting was adjourned. 

Chan speedily grabbed his things and jacket and dashed out the door. Tonight was his favorite night of the week, since he was meeting up with the rest of his friend group. 

One of the arrangements he had worked out with his parents is that they let him see his friends on a regular basis, and tonight was one of those nights. 

 

He arrived at the meeting spot, a korean bbq restaurant, and saw Donghun, Byeongkwan, Sehyoon and Jun seated around one of the tables. 

Jun spotted him and beckoned him over. 

“Hey Chan, how are you?” he asked when Chan arrived at the table.

“Great; how is everyone?” He returned the greetings.

“It’s going awesome!” Byeongkwan beamed. “One of Sehyoon’s paintings was added to the new gallery downtown. Jun just finished a high-profile case in collaboration with the police. And Donghun is seeing a lot of repeat customers with the company. They really seem to enjoy Sehyoon’s art and Donghun’s level of service.”

“That’s amazing!” Chan looked delighted. 

“What about you Byeongkwan?”

Byeongkwan smirked. “Well, you know me: I don’t really like to stick to one thing. I’ve been job-hopping as usual, but it’s been good. I’m enjoying myself.”

Chan nodded. Byeongkwan was a much freer soul than him, which made him a great teacher for Chan. 

 

“I started an anonymous advice website.” Chan declared. “I thought it would be nice to share some of my luck with others for free.”

“That’s so nice of you Chan!” Jun commented.

Chan nodded. “Thanks. It’s also been helping me get to know other people, their lives, and their problems better. Maybe one day I won’t feel like I’m living outside of society.”

“Oh come on Chan! Haven’t we shown you enough for you to be scared of society?” Byeongkwan teased.

Chan shook his head in disbelief. “I can’t believe this all started with you kidnapping me.”

Byeongkwan and Sehyoon laughed, while Donghun and Jun shook their heads in disappointment, yet they were still smiling since they thought it funny as well.

 

“Out of curiosity Chan, what’s your website called?” Sehyoon asked.

“W-well-” Chan stammered, “It’s a little embarrassing.” 

“What do you mean?” Jun asked, curious.

Chan blushed. “When I made the site, I was thinking about you four and how you guys have become my strength to spread my wings. The four of you are my support, and I am the good luck- so I named it The Four-leaf Clover.”

Donghun patted Chan on the back. “That’s a great and thoughtful name. Thank you.”

“Thanks Chan, we really appreciate you.” Byeongkwan added, in agreement.

“I appreciate you guys too. Before I met any of you, I really felt like a butterfly in a cage and it was just a phantasy for me to have freedom.” Chan smiled. “But now here I am; and I feel much more alive.”