Chapter 5

Dancing On My Own

Chapter 5

“I’m good… as long as Joyous Dance is okay with it.” Seunghoon told the Dean and he shifted his gaze at Jinu.

The dean followed Hoon’s gaze and looked at Jinu. Jinu was just sitting there silent the whole time the secretary was explaining the charity event and the general theme of the program. They will be showcasing their former students who has gone a long way since they left uni. Both Hoon and Joyous Dance will have a slot to perform a duo piece. As Hoon and Jinu were making a buzz for a few days now, they would want to capitalize on that to attract more attendees and definitely more sponsors for their charity.

After they entered the room, Jinu never uttered a word. Seulgi was the one talking and asking questions. And even though Seulgi was asking questions, she was very careful not to give a definite yes to this arrangement. Earlier that morning, she was sure Jinu would go for this as it is also a way to promote the dance studio but Hoon was not someone they expected to appear.

Seulgi turned and looked at Jinu as well. His brows were creased and his arms crossed. “I guess,” Seulgi started, “we need time to think about this, Dean. As there have been changes from what was previously communicated with us, we have to consider them before we decide.”

The dean looked concerned, nodded at Seulgi and turned to Jinu, “Let me know if there is anything I can do for this idea to proceed.”

Seulgi started to stand up to bow and say their goodbyes when Jinu suddenly spoke, “We’ll do it.”

Everyone turned their head towards Jinu, surprised at his sudden answer.

“Really?” Seulgi asked Jinu and sat again.

Jinu looked at Seulgi and answered, “Really.” Jinu then looked at the dean intently and said, “I actually also have something in mind that maybe you can help me with.”

The dean straightened up and asked, “What is it?’

“I am amenable to doing two performances, one with Joyous Dance and another duo piece. But I hope you can also help fund the charity organization I am helping with the proceeds of this event.”

“Consider it done.” The dean said relieved as he sips his coffee.

“Great. And one last thing, I don’t want my name to appear in any poster or advert for the event.”

The dean coughed, obviously startled by the last request. He was planning to put Jinu’s and Hoon’s name in every advert, poster or invite for the event.

“I only want Joyous Dance’s name on them and not mine.”

“But -- .” The dean did not know what to say next.

“It’s a sticking point for me.” Jinu said firmly.

The dean sighed feeling defeated, “Alright.” The dean glanced at Hoon and continued, “I’ll have the contract sent to you by tomorrow for signing.” The dean stood up, “I’ll leave you three talk about the details of the performances.”

After the dean left, there was only awkward silence inside the room. Seulgi was looking at Jinu and Hoon. Hoon was looking at Jinu but he, on the other hand, was just staring at the empty chair on his other side of the table.

“So..” Seulgi started, “about the duo perf, Jinu…”

Like waking up from a trance, Jinu looked at Hoon in the eyes, “Do you have a card with you, Mr. Lee? I’ll just have someone contact you about your availability for practice.”

Seulgi can definitely hear the emphasis on ‘Mr. Lee’. Apparently, Hoon also noticed since he gave an exasperated sigh before putting the card in front of Jinu. “You can contact me anytime, Mr. Kim.” Hoon stood up and left.

Seulgi thought with Hoon gone, the awkward silence will disappear. But Jinu stayed still and silent until after a few minutes he muttered, “ .” Jinu hid his face with his hands, “What did I do?”

Seulgi looked at Jinu and laughed. Her friend seldom cusses and only on very special occasions to very specific persons. “Tell me.”

+++++++++++++++++

Jinu and Seulgi were already seated in one of the empty studios inside Joyous Dance. “So, when are you going to explain yourself?” Seulgi asked Jinu.

Jinu sighed, “It’s not unreasonable to ask for Joyous Dance's name to be shown rather than mine. It’s a good way to promote the studio.”

“Okay, I know that’s not the sole reason but whatever.” Seulgi rolled her eyes. “How about the way you reacted, your silence, your obvious aversion of looking at Hoon until the last minute, your ‘Mr. Lee’?”

Jinu chattered away, “Okay, I don’t know. I knew this would eventually happen and I have imagined how I should react but it came unexpectedly. I imagined him greeting me casually as before and I would just casually greet back. Then, it will be over. But he went, ‘as long as Joyous Dance is okay with it.’” Jinu exaggeratedly mimicked Hoon. Jinu covered his face with his hands and continued, “That was so irritating. I am a person and I have a name, unless he chose to forget about that too. I don’t know what I was thinking or if I was thinking at all. I looked and sounded stupid and still affected which I am definitely not. But then, he’ll think I am because of how I was at that meeting. Now how are we going to work on a duo performance like this?”

Seulgi watched Jinu and she wanted to laugh but the vicarious embarrassment is overpowering.

Jinu unhid his face and started to convince himself, “I was just being professional. That’s it. Yes, I was professional.”

Seulgi caressed Jinu’s back in an effort to comfort him, “Okay, Mr. Professional Jinu. Good luck with your being professional. I’ll contact Mr. Lee and find a common free schedule for both of you.” Seulgi stood up and went towards the door. But before she completely went out, she looked back at Jinu and said, “Mino messaged me and said he’s available tonight after his work for some last-minute discussion about our project with him. He’ll bring dinner.”

Jinu nodded and smiled.