Part 6

Someone Real [Series]

As the wedding loomed around the corner, you had never felt so disconnected. Now, more than ever, you acknowledged your role at Brian’s side and when playing your character’s time was up.

Meanwhile, Brian seemed confused, unable to shut off like he used to. You found him staring across the cafeteria at you when you were laughing with your co-workers and dragging out the conversations in the car whenever he dropped you home after an event.

You were relieved when the wedding week arrived, counting down the days until your obligations with Brian were up. You planned to end your agreement on the date you had originally decided upon. Brian would let his family know a couple of weeks later that you had broken up, wanting different things in life.

Which wasn’t a lie. You were more than ready to close this final chapter so you could progress the story in another book you were enjoying starring in more now.

Answering your front door, you were stumped. “Jae? No way.”

“What? I need sugar.”

You laughed and shook your head at his morning request, knowing full well Jae had no need for the ingredient. Stepping away from the door but leaving it open for Jae to step inside, you headed into your kitchen and retrieved your container of sugar. Ignoring the snap-lock bag he held out, you instead delivered the full container into his arms.

Jae looked between you and your sugar. “Won’t you need any yourself?”

“I’ll go buy some. Take it all.”

“What’s with the rollers in your hair?” he asked as you moved over to your open bathroom door, pulling out your makeup from a drawer. Jae grew curious and stepped closer. “Are you going out?”

“I’m attending a wedding.”

“Not your own, I hope.”

“Do you see a ring on this finger?” you asked blandly, holding up your left hand and wiggling the fingers.

“Touché.”

“Go enjoy your sugar, Jae.”

“I’d much prefer watching you work your magical powers of transforming from the beast you are-”

“You’re treading on thin ice, buddy.”

Jae held up a hand in surrender, falling silent as he watched you apply your mascara. “You look fine without makeup, you know.”

“I can’t go to a wedding without putting some on.”

“I know. I’m just letting you know you look good without any on too,” he replied softly, his gaze not meeting yours when you used the mirror in front of you to look back at him.

His words made your stomach flutter for the first time in a long time. Busying yourself with what you needed to do, you let out a breath when Jae departed from your view, allowing you to focus on pulling down your hair and taking off the robe you had wrapped around yourself to protect your dress. Once satisfied with how you looked for your final performance, you turned to retrieve your heels from your bedroom.

Jae was standing awkwardly in your living area, his eyes rounding when you came into view. “Holy .”

“The beast turned into a beauty, huh?” you mused, going to walk around him to your bedroom door. Jae gripped tightly onto the sugar container and reached out for you with his free hand.

You looked up at him as he seemed to break out into a sweat. You inspected his face more closely, and for a moment, Jae seemed to have something serious to say. And then the look in his eyes switched, and he grinned lopsidedly. “This dress isn’t going to help you much.”

“Rude.”

“It’s too indecent. What are you trying to compensate for?”

“Maybe I’m hoping to lure someone into my den to mate with,” you joked from the other room, slipping your feet into your heels.

Jae seemed rooted to the spot when you returned, and you grinned. “Ooh, who knew I could throw you off that much in a fancy dress and some lippy?”

“Seriously, Y/N? You don’t need all this to throw me off my game.”

“No, I just need to have a winning strike to KO you.”

Jae implored you to stop joking around, placing down the sugar onto the couch before turning to you. He shook his head. “I’m already KO’d when it comes to you.”

“You look pretty alive to me.”

“Y/N, when you get back from this wedding, do you reckon we could have a chat?”

“I’ll be back about nine. I’m sure you know how weddings can be.”

Jae nodded distantly and then headed for the door. You smiled at how adorably distracted he was being and cleared your throat. “Jae!”

“What?”

Retrieving the sugar as he opened the door, you held it out to him. “Here. You’re forgetting what you came over for.”

“Right. Ha-ha. I need my sugar.”

“Not too much at once, okay?” you instructed, smiling brightly and waving before heading back into your apartment.

As soon as you had the door shut, you slumped against it. “Did Jae just… no. I’m overreading his reaction.”

Shaking off the hopeful thought, you grabbed your purse and phone, heading out to meet with Brian.

“Jesus Christ, Y/N,” Brian purred when he pulled up five minutes later, getting out of the car in his suit and approaching you. He looked you over once more. “You look incredible.”

“Hopefully not like a beast,” you said with a chuckle, and Brian frowned. “Don’t worry. It was just a joke.”

“I better aim to be on my best behaviour today at this wedding. But no promises once we’re done.”

You smiled forcibly. You were done with ending up underneath Brian’s sheets out his name.


 

The wedding had been beautiful, and you let everyone you crossed paths with know that you had cherished their kindness. The real victims of your fake relationship weren’t you or Brian, as the movies depicted. It was the people you fooled, knowing full well it wouldn’t last. Still, you weren’t upset with how you had acted in their presence. It had come from a genuine place in your heart, and you didn’t say anything that you didn’t mean in the moment.

Even during the wedding.

“You both look wonderful together!”

“We do, don’t we?” Brian offered, and you merely smiled politely, avoiding any further promises of a future together.

Brian was quiet when he was driving you back to your apartment, even more so when you declined going home with him. He opened his mouth every few moments to say something, only to close it again, repeating this action all the way until he pulled up at your next destination.

You gathered your purse and some of the skirt of your dress. Turning to Brian, you smiled gently. “Have a good rest of your night.”

“Really? That’s it?”

“Well, your cousin is married now.”

“Hang on, Y/N. There is more to this than our initial agreement now.”

“I’ll trust that you’ll be able to end things at the right time. If you feel the need to use me as the scapegoat for our relationship ending, I don’t mind.”

“Wait!” Brian called as you got out of the car and headed towards your apartment complex, relief coursing throughout you.

Just as anticipation began to grow within.

You faltered in your step once you got out of the elevator and rounded the corner of your floor, finding Jae leaning against the wall outside your door. You grinned as you approached him. “You waited for me?”

“Oh, well, you see… I got a bit restless inside and just went for a walk.”

“Is that so? Do you want to come in and have that chat?”

“You’re relaxed.”

“I’m happy that I’m finally free to listen to what you have to say,” you admitted, and Jae’s eyes widened behind his glasses, a small smile curling up his lips.

“No joking around with me whilst I tell you it all, okay?”

“I would never.”

“Y/N,” a rushed voice interrupted, and you darted your focus down the hallway, Brian striding towards you and enveloping you in his arms. “I think I’m in love with you.”

Staring over at Jae, you watched as his expression fell before a hollow laugh left him. “Of course, there would have been a date to this wedding you attended. And it wasn’t me.”

You watched on helplessly as Jae retreated into his apartment whilst Brian gripped you more tightly.

This wasn’t how you expected your night to end.