Aiden talking to Felix for the First Time

The Firsts

Aiden wasn’t sure if taking music had been the best choice for him. He knew he needed to have a few elective classes, not everything could be just the core classes. But when given the option, music seemed to have been the only option that wouldn’t require that much work. After all, what could the teacher possibly want from them, other than learn to sing maybe? Or read music? That couldn’t be too hard and it was certainly better than taking a public speaking course or horticulture.

 

Going in, he had been optimistic, but by halfway through the year, the young boy wanted to drop out and pretend like this didn’t happen. Though, he supposed the good thing about the class was that Felix was in it, giving Aiden something to do besides sleeping in the class. Being friends with Changbin, he had learned a few things about not being noticed by the teacher and Aiden prided himself on never being called on or seen.

 

“And lastly, your final project for the class will involve you creating your own piece of music.” The class erupted in groans at the announcement, Aiden’s voice whining the loudest as he rested his head on his desk, eyes closed. He was regretting all his life choices, which weren’t many since he was only thirteen. “It only needs to be a minute long, grading will be lenient. I don’t expect any of you to create a grande sonata that will move me from my seat.” The teacher spoke and Aiden could only roll his eyes. He highly doubted that anyone could even compose a one-minute piece in this class, let alone a whole sonata.

 

“The theme of the song is Love and you can use any instrument you feel comfortable playing.” The teacher droned on a little longer about the different instruments that would be available to the students as they worked on this project. If he was being honest with himself, he was really hoping someone would compose a piece on the trumpet. That would be hilarious and if anything maybe it would make the teacher’s ears bleed so the rest of them would automatically get an A. Wishful thinking, really.

 

The bell rang, jerking Aiden from his thoughts and he sat up straight, looking around. The students around him stood and started filing out of the room to head to their next period class. A soft groan left him as he slumped in his chair slightly, trying to gather the will to get up and make his way to the gym, a class he really wished he could just drop.

 

~*~

 

Aiden wanted to toss his phone against the wall in frustration. Of all the days he had to stay late at school, it just had to be today. It wasn’t bad enough that he was given a stupid project from his music teacher, or the fact that they had played dodge ball in gym and he was currently sporting a large bruise on his side. Certainly, his bad luck would have ended when his English professor had given the class a pop quiz and he was the only one who failed. But no, the icing on the cake was the fact that Changbin was inviting him out to go to the grand opening of the new amusement park and he couldn’t go. Not that it was the end of the world. The amusement park would be there anytime he decided he wanted to go, but he would only get one chance to go to a grand opening, where everything was discounted and they gave out special prizes for the visitors. This was a once-in-a-lifetime chance to go! And he couldn’t because he had to stick around and figure out which stupid instrument he was going to play for the stupid project that probably counted for his entire grade in the class (because let’s face it, he wasn’t the best student).


 

Binnie:

Are you for real? I told you to drop that stupid course



 

Aiden:

Don’t rub it in, man. I’ll talk to you tomorrow. Save me some sweets


 

Binnie:

I’ll try ;P

 

Aiden stuck out his tongue at the phone, eyes rolling at the comment. Even though Changbin was teasing, he highly doubted he would get any sweets from the other. With a heavy sigh, Aiden dragged his feet across the floor as he made his way down the nearly empty hall to the music room. There were a few students that were still taking their time to leave campus, but for the most part, there was no left unless it was club members for extracurricular activities.

 

Reaching the music room, he opened the door, eyes scanning the room as he stepped in. There was only one other body in the room and once Aiden’s brain registered who the person was, he instantly wanted to turn around and leave. But he was already spotted as Felix turned and tossed him a smile.

 

“Hello, Aiden.”

 

Do not swoon. Do not swoon.

 

Aiden forced a smile on his face and gave a slight head nod. “Hi.” he gritted out. His mind was racing with thoughts to just calm down and breathe. Everything was going to be fine. Only it wasn’t fine because Felix was in the room with him. This perfect, gorgeous boy was just mere feet away and they were alone together. It almost seemed like some romance anime or manga, where the two main characters were alone in a classroom. Now all that was needed was some sort of incident that would have the two drawn close to each other, their eyes locking and some cheesy music playing in the background.

 

But this isn’t an anime, idiot.

“Here to find your instrument?” Felix asked, eyes glancing over Aiden, taking in his appearance before lifting to look back at his face.

 

“Yeah.” Aiden sighed as he was reminded as to what he was doing there. “I take it you’re here as well to do that,” he said and Felix nodded. “Have you figured it out?” Aiden asked, moving closer to the other as much as he dared, but he didn’t get too close because he wasn’t entirely sure how he would react being so close to his crush. Just being alone with him in the same room was making it difficult to concentrate.

 

“Well, I was thinking the Piano. But then I thought, everyone is going to pick the piano. So then I was going to pick the guitar but I had the same thought again.” Felix explained and Aiden was in awe at how much the other talked, mainly because he hadn't really seen or heard the other talk this much. “I don’t want to be like everyone else. I want to stand out and shine above the rest.”

 

“I think you already do that.” As soon as the words left his lips, Aiden mentally smacked himself, eyes glancing over at the other slyly to see what his reaction was. The surprised look had him feeling extremely embarrassed.

 

“Really?” Felix asked and smiled softly. “Thank you. I think you stand out too.”

 

Aiden snorted and shook his head. “In who's world? I'm the blandest and common person in the world,” he muttered.

 

“That's not true.” The tone in Felix's voice had Aiden cocking his head in curiosity. “You stand out more than you think,” Felix said with a firm nod. “No matter what you decide, it'll be an amazing piece.”

 

Aiden would be lying if he said his heart didn't flutter at that statement. He hadn't expected Felix to say such a nice thing to him, and they hadn't really interacted that much. It was very sweet. He really liked it. “Thank you, Felix.” he smiled warmly at the other. “But you certainly stand out far more than I do. And, I think that regardless of what instrument you chose, your piece will be very unique and beautiful. I look forward to hearing it.”

 

“Thanks.” Felix chuckled and that beautiful sound did absolutely nothing to calming Aiden's racing heart. Honestly, this crush was getting out of hand. “Well, I guess I'll just choose piano, I really do love that instrument,” he said as he grabbed the sign-up sheet and started writing down his name. “Decided yet?” he asked.

 

“Not yet.” Aiden hummed as he looked at the instruments locked in the storage lockers. “But I'll figure out something.”

 

“Okay, but don't think too long, you may get locked in here.” Felix teased as he grabbed his bag once done and started for the door. “I'll see you tomorrow, Aiden,” he called and Aiden smiled, waving to him. Left alone in the music, Aiden let out a sigh.

 

Okay, what instrument? Something cool. Something that will impress Felix. Shouldn't be too hard. Aiden was hoping to only be there another five minutes, but the decision proved to be harder than he thought. Eventually, though, he settled for an instrument he had only played a few times before and prayed he could make this work.