Am I moving too fast?

It's a Match

They have been exchanging messages and talking over the phone for months now. Joochan asked if he could get Donghyun’s number. He’s hesitant to asked at first as he didn’t want Donghyun to feel uncomfortable. But he wanted to know Donghyun more and get to bond with him, plus it’s convenient just to send messages through text or make a phone call since they are not always online due to their studies and other activities. Joochan felt relieved when Donghyun gave him his number.

In a short period of time, he learned that Donghyun is an architecture student. He is passionate about dancing even though he is a shy and reserved person. Though Donghyun has that type of personality, he is always amazed how can keep up with his antics. They bicker while exchanging messages or even when talking on the phone. He felt that they have known each other for a long time even though it’s only been months.

Yes. It’s been months now. And here he is sitting on a bench and staring at the flyer on his hand. He is in deep thoughts whether he would push through with his idea. He let out a soft sigh. He wanted to meet Donghyun but is so afraid to ask. Well, it’s not actually the kind of meet up that usually happens on a dating app. Most meet ups on the dating app are more likely to be a date. We’ll, this is not. “I just wanted to get some time with him as a friend.”, he thought, justifying his own idea.

He’s so into his own world that he didn’t notice that Sungyoon sat beside him.

“Joochan-ah?!”

“Oh! Hi Sunbae. Sorry, I didn’t notice you”.

“I know. What were you thinking just know? It’s seems to be something serious.”

“Not really. I was just thinking if I would invite Donghyun to the school festival.”

Sungyoon knows about Donghyun as Joochan always tell him stories about him. At this point, he knows everything about Donghyun.

“I see. What stopping you from inviting him?”

“I told him that we’ll take it slow remember? I just don’t want him to think that I am not a man of my words.”

“I don’t think he’ll think of it that way. It’s a school festival and you can just invite his friends to come as well if you’re worried that he’d feel uncomfortable with just the two of you.”

“We’ll, I already thought about that.”

“So then what’s the problem?” “I don’t know. I am just afraid that he’d be disappointed in me. It’s only been months since we know each other.”

“I think that’s long enough though. Some people meet up after a week or a month you know. Don’t think too hard. There’s no harm in trying. You might receive a good response from him.” Sungyoon said while tapping Joochan’s shoulder as he stands up.

“Yeah, I’ll try.” He said.

He really doesn’t understand himself when it comes to Donghyun. His past interaction on the app isn’t like this. This is not the first time that he met a first timer. Usually, he would tell the person to cancel the meet up upon learning that the person is new in using the app but the person usually says that they are fine with the idea and then they’ll meet up in about a week or so. This is the first time that it takes him months to meet the person his interested into. Well, Donghyun has been honest from the start and that’s one reason that he is careful with him. And, he really doesn’t want to have a bad relationship with him. Just imagining Donghyun being disappointed in him and not talking with him anymore makes him sad and mad at himself. “Is it real this time? Have I met the one?” he asked himself.

Later that day he messaged Donghyun.

Joochan: Hey Donghyun. Would you like to go to our school festival next week?

Joochan: You can also bring your friends if you don’t feel comfortable going alone.

Joochan: It’s fine if don’t want to though. I understand.

It’s been 20 minutes since he sent the message, and he has not received a reply from Donghyun. He’s sleepy and he’s fighting the feeling because he wanted to wait for the reply. He didn’t win on the battle as his eyes are slowing closing.

Upon waking up the next morning, he immediately checked his phone and saw a message from Donghyun. His heart felt like jumping out from his chest and a wide smile was plastered on his face when he saw Donghyun’s reply.

Donghyun: I would love to. 😊 See you next week.