Where the sand meets the water [1/1]

The whisper in the sea
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sea doesn't appeal to me.


However, when I am near it, I find it to be tranquil.


The gentle crashing of the waves on the shore. It has a lasting scent in your nostrils. The look of it is what I adore the most. It basically flows wherever it goes in those large bodies of water, and whatever goes in there, the water just reacts to it. It splashes when you throw a pebble at it. It holds you if you dive into it. It fluctuates in intensity, but the water just never runs out. It is endless. So, if I don't enjoy the sea as much as I claim, why am I blabbering about it?

nevertheless, here I am, on my way there.

Even though I dislike the water, it is a lot better sight than what I am used to seeing. Being surrounded by white walls. My computer's screen, which causes me anxiety every time I open it. The building, which is full with familiar people with whom I pretend to laugh every day simply to get past. Everything I see on a daily basis causes me to feel nervous and anxious, which is natural for me but shouldn't be. I know this part isn’t me. I used to be more than this. I used to look forward to weekdays. I used to gladly accept challenges. I used to strive for excellence.

I used to have a dream.

My name is Kim Minji, and I am an office worker who is now not working since she has reached her limit and has opted to discontinue her primary source of income. I am aware of the numerous ways I could have handled this situation. But when you've had enough and your emotions take over, all rational reasoning goes out the window.

Earlier today, I assumed it would be another average day. Getting up to the sound of my obnoxious alarm, going to the showers to ready for work, skipping breakfast, getting a ride to work, enduring 8 hours of torment, and then returning home to do it all over again the next day.

 

Of course, life is full of unexpected twists and turns. My plot twists were usually for the worse.


I collided with a lady on the way to our building's entrance, causing her to spill her coffee on both of our clothes. I had to pay for her clothes and smelled like coffee the entire time (which I don't mind at all). Next, because of the incident, I had forgotten to time-in, which caused me to be late.Following that, I received a criticism from my officemate for the work I completed last week, stating that it did not meet their expectations. This is her portion of the work, which I simply "assisted" with because she seemed to be overburdened, and yet this is the gratitude I receive.

It's a chain of unlucky events. To top it all off, my manager took my last ounce of patience.

I asked my manager whether it was acceptable if I took a half-day. I didn't even dare to request for a leave of absence. It was only a half-day. Because today I have to commemorate a lost loved one. He comforted me with his comments about my loss, only for him to reject me. His reasoning? The departed are no longer among us, yet the paperwork we need to complete remains. He's normally an , but today was a whole new level.

Normally, I had to put up with it since he was superior to us, but after those remarks, I don't think it's good for me to continue in a company run by uncaring individuals. I was as enraged as those cartoon characters whose faces burn red in rage and fumes flow out of both sides of their ears. I yelled at him. The type of yell that makes your throat hurt for a few seconds and leaves you with a piercing feeling in your lungs. I wished I could have burnt the building down, but all I could do before leaving was give him and everyone else in that room the middle finger.

Now I'm on my way to the nearest sea I can find, contemplating my life choices. Maybe I should've put up with it. I felt like I was wasting my entire career for a half-day that I couldn't give up.

"We're here, Miss."


The driver's speech jolts me out of my trance. I nodded, handed over the cash, and thanked him for the ride. As I stepped outside, I could already smell the sea breeze greeting me. Today's sunshine made the sea appear lighter than normal. I looked at it for a little longer before deciding where to spend the night. 'I promise it's just for the night,' I tell myself. I didn't want to return to the city merely to be reminded of my now-unemployed life. As I look for a spot to sleep, I let out a sigh.

'She's a special kid,' they say. 'She's going to go far,' they say. Why am I here if I'm so great?

I must have gotten lost in my thoughts again because I just smacked my head on the pole I ran into. I was about to scream when I noticed that the pole I had collided with was actually located in front of an inn where I could check in. Some could say it was a blessing in disguise. When I came in, it had a brick and wood interior design that made it look quite cozy. It appears to be a fancy old house, now that I think about it.

I promptly found the person in charge and inquired if there was a room available. The person in charge chuckled."Look around you, miss; can you see anyone else than us?" I took a cursory glance and realized she was correct. That's strange. This seems like a nice inn. I'd anticipate at least 3 or 5 other guests in this area. "In here, you may even select your own room; do you want to look around?" she asked. "Take me to a room with a window view of the sea," I said, to which she nodded.

We went upstairs, and she led me to a room at the far end of the corridor. She pointed to the door and opened it to show me where it was. It appeared to be a charming yet comfortable room. The room felt familiar, like if I had spent my childhood there. "You may leave your bags her-...miss, where are your bags?" she asked. "I didn't bring any," I said gently.

Oh, I'm sure she thinks I'm pitiful right now. Although I am, I don't want anyone else to believe so, so I attempted to explain the matter as swiftly as possible. "This was an unplanned vacation, and I had only meant to remain here for a short time, but..." I cut myself off to gaze out the window at the sea. "The sea is simply captivating," I said, "I just can't go."

The woman is concerned as she stares at me. That didn't seem to help. "Everyone who's stayed at this inn has stated the same thing; let me guess, city life has been difficult for you as well?" I nod and agree with her assessment. She exhales a sigh. "You know, there's a myth around here about the sea that if you visit it for the first time, it gives you your want."

"Have you tried it?" I questioned. "No, I was born and raised in this neighborhood, therefore I'm guessing that's why it won't fulfill my requests," she says with a sour grin. "but everyone who has visited this inn has, I'm not sure what they wish for, but they surely seem happier than they did when they first got here, you should give it a try, it wouldn't harm." "I'll think about it." I said, smiling. I asked her a question as she was ready to leave the room. "Excuse me, but may I ask for your name?" She looked at me for a second, as if she wasn't sure whether to speak it or not. "Siyeon, my name is Siyeon" she said as she exited my room.

- - - - - - - - - - - 

I came here to sit and contemplate with the sea, yet here I am, hours later, still on my bed. Now that I've grasped the consequences of my actions, my world has cracked, the air around me has become thicker, and my mind is filled with a thousand what-if scenarios. 

I had no idea it was getting close to nighttime. I stretched before getting out of bed and going outside. The corridor appears to be as vacant as it was hours ago. 'Perhaps the newcomers are downstairs,' I reasoned. As I went down the steps to check, I was surprised to see that there was no one else here. No one, not even Siyeon. Weird. While I was resting down on my bed, I swear I heard murmuring from outside. I dismissed those ideas and headed outdoors to the beach.

The cool breeze from the sea greeted me once more. If I had known my body would require me to spend the night here, I would have brought some of my clothes with me. Surprisingly, the murmurs returned, and as I moved closer to the sea, the sounds became louder. I look around to see if anyone is nearby. I yelled, "hello? anyone out there?" There was no reaction. As my feet continued to walk towards the sound, I noticed that the tip of my shoes was already in contact with the water. I discovered where the sound was coming from after another look around. The voices came from the sea. I became terrified. What if someone was sunk?

I didn't think twice about stepping a little further and b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter