one

I Like You, Kinda

 

 

To say the hallway right now is buzzing is an understatement. Morning class just ended so everyone is running to eat their lunch at their spots. Karina sighed seeing the packed hallway and settled down for a bit in the corner. She wanted to get a bread from the cafeteria because she forget to bring her lunch this morning but she don't want to go through that crowd where everyone is playing around pushing each other.

"That hurts, Shin!" her eyes quickly drift to that voice and there she saw Winter. An instant frown appear in her face seeing the sophomore kid. She was rubbing her head now as she bumped into a locker which made her friends laugh even more. The known chaotic squad.

 

How annoying. Karina thought. She was gonna avert her gaze when Winter look at her side, meeting her eyes. Winter teasingly grin, "Hey, careful bumping my precious head! If something bad will happen to my mind, y'all won't graduate." she said arrogantly. Karina rolled her eyes upon hearing that and walk toward the gym. It's not even Advanced Math class yet and she was hella annoyed at the girl.

 

 

 

 

Winter and her friends settled at their usual spot, near the school's pool area under the big tree. No one comes at their spot as they believe the old big tree was haunted but such rumors was nothing to them. They liked the fresh air too much and of course there are no other students lingering around them. It was their private spot which the 8 of them suddenly stumbled when skipping a class during first year. Their friendship began when they were still in 5th grade. It started when Chaeryeong, Ryujin and Haechan fought Yuna, Beomgyu, and Yeonjun over dodgeball which resulted for the 6 of them for detention where Minju and Winter were part of the Student Council that need to look out for the 6 but also ended up fighting with them.

 

"Hey ugly, is this edible?" Haechan asked lifting Yuna's burnt hotdog. Ryujin's laugh followed immediately seeing the hotdog. "Shut up stupid, I prefer them burnt. Right, Gyu?" Wiggling her eyebrows at her friend who also have burnt hotdogs for lunch the other day. "Can't y'all just shut up and eat?" Beomgyu's only reply and continue eating his lunch.

"Winter, you are not eating again." Chaeryeong inquired her friend beside her. "Ate my lunch during second period and Minju won't give me some of hers now." The girl pouted causing Yuna to throw one of her burnt hotdogs at her. Winter catched the food and put it on Ryujin's lunchbox. "You tryna poison me or what?" 

Minju surprsingly look up at Winter, "I didn't kn---" she didn't finish her words when Winter pinched her cheeks. "My only cute friend. By the way that egg roll looks delicious." Minju pats her hand away and get one egg roll and shooved it to Winter's mouth. 

"Thswank yhouw." Their friends just laugh at their antics. Only Winter can do that to Minju as the rest was afraid of her. It is safe to say that only Kim Minju is the decent person in their group. "Ryu, you have Advanced Math later, right?" Yeonjun suddenly asked.

"Don't even mention it when I'm tryna forget the long test last week." the girl replied, now sipping Chaeryeong's water. "Why did you even take that subject? You can't even do long divisions back then." Yuna spoke which earn a death glare from Ryujin. Winter laugh at them.

"Well, she copied all my stuff in math last year, became a candidate for Advanced Math and took it." Winter said, still laughing. "You didn't let us copy last friday though," Beomgyu joined. 

"She's too busy flirting with Karina Yoo." Ryujin said, now making faces with Winter. Winter make a disgusted face with Ryujin and pushed her a litlle, "Flirting, huh." Chaeryeong said. 

"And with Karina Yoo." Haechan, with his mocking smile.

Yeonjun cleared his throat to shut his friends. He fished something in his pocket, a small envelope. "Win, can you pass her this?" Winter look at him and raised an eyebrow. "She doesn't do dates. And that's hella corny, bro. Just send her a message on her socials." the girl said in a playful tone. Yeonjun only laugh at her, "Just give it to her. She kinda waiting for that." she hand it to the girl and stood up. 

"Woah, good luck hitting the Yoo girl." Beomgyu whistled. Yeonjun flashed a cocky smile and stood up. "You make it sound something." he said. Winter also stood up which earned a stare from Minju. "Is it not?" Winter asked dropping her playful tone. 

"Can't tell. Kind of complicated. But please hand her that, I'll get you your favorite slushie."

 

Winter put the envelope in her pocket and grab her bag. 3,2,1. Bell Rings. She looks at her friends who trying to untangle their bags which she knotted earlier when they were eating their lunch and starts to walk ahead. 

 

"Do you guys mind if I walk ahead?" she asked innocently and walk ahead. 

 

 

"YOU ARE A DEMON, WINTER KIM!!!" 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Karina close her locker after putting her Science book, she felt someone poked her back so she turned back. There she saw one of her friend, Ningning, smiling brightly at her. "Hi!" the other girl greeted. Karina return the smile, but not as big as her. "Hey," she replied. 

"Do you know Lucas? From class D? He's part of the basketball team." Ningning started talking while walking to their next class. Karina mentally sighed knowing where the conversation is heading. "He's also my cousin! And he said he wants to have a date with you after class." Both of them stopped walking in front of their classroom. "I am busy this afternoon, Ning. I'm really sorry." Karina gently refused. A lie of course, and the other girl know it too. For everyday she would ask Karina to go out with some boys, it was always that excuse. 

Ningning pouted, following the other girl who is now heading in her chair. "Can you just please do this once? I will stop bothering you with the dates after this." Ningning convinced, now with her puppy eyes. "And I swear he's nice! He is my cousin afterall." 

Karina look at her, and sighed. Just to put an end for the asking out. "Alright, but no more asking out anymore. And just this one, deal?" 

The other girl beamed in joy, now clapping her hands. Karina look at her friend weirdly before sitting down. "I'll go text him that you agree to have a date on him this afternoon!" Ningning said happily while dancing around not seeing the other student behind her. 

"You know this isn't your stage, right?" the student uttered. 

"Shut up, Kim." Ningning bitterly replied and went on her seat.

 

Winter take her seat and look at her seatmate. She instantly smile seeing the annoyed face of the girl she like teasing. "Hello, good afternoon," she greeted. Karina only raises a brow on her and take out her phone. "Good afternoon, Miss!" Winter shouted and silence fell over the room, even Karina put away her phone.

"Oh, it's not her, my bad." Winter grin while offering a peace sign to everyone. The noise continue again, even got more worse because of Winter and Karina is fighting the urge not to kick her chair. 

 

 

 

 

"That's all for today. Goodbye, class!" 

 

Karina stood up fom her seat and surpringly Ningning was already in her side. When did this girl become so fast? She took her time putting her things inside her bag while Ningning supply her the details of the date. "Isn't he romantic? Omg!" Ningning exclaimed. She picked up Karina's book, and pushed it to her bag quickly.

"Oh, Rina's going on a date?" Yeji asked while walking towards them. She is taking out something in her bag. 

"Yes, she is. With Lucas." Ningning replied, smiling proudly.

"From the basketball team? I approved that." Yeji said, handing out her lipstick to Karina. "Imma' put this on you." she said and doesn't let Karina reply and put the lipstick on her lips. Karina glared at her, "Wow, thanks." she said sarcastically. 

The three of them started to walk out the room. Ningning busy with her phone, texting her cousin while Yeji complaing about her long test results. 

She got 69/100, the passing score. While Karina got 86/100. She wonders about the annoying kid score.

"Hey!" they stop from walking hearing it. Speak of the devil, Karina thought. She heard Ningning grunt, about to shout something when Karina walk towards WInter's direction.

"What do you need?" she impatiently asked. Winter smiled at her, "Hold on," she replied and opened her bag to search for something. Seconds passed and she's still searching, Karina could see her furrowed brows while still seriously looking for that something. 

"Is this a joke?" Karina snap. She know it's not but she could already hear Yeji's whispers.

"No, no." Winter replied, now rummaging her bag. 

"Where did I place it?" she heard Winter whispered to her self. It was soft and gentle, unlike her usual tones. And for awhile Karina stared at the confused Winter with her furrowed eyebrows, a little smile dancing on her lips but she concealed it quickly. 

"Ah! Here is it!" she flashed her hand holding a small envelope and her annoyance at the girl is back again. She handed it to Karina but the taller girl only look at it. "That's not from me, Yeonjun told me to gave you this." And with that Karina get the envelope quickly. Winter chuckle.

"Thanks." and with that she turned her back and starts walking towards her friends.

 

"Yoo!" Winter shouted again. Karina looked back and a smiling Winter greeted her. "Have a good afternoon." after saying that the girl turn around and walk away. Karina stare at her for seconds and put the envelope in her pocket. Ningning and Yeji complained how rude Winter is and Karina totally agree with them, enjoying how her friends talking ill about Winter. 

 

 

 

 

 

She get her phone from her pocket and type a message,

hey lover boy, i think someone got ahead of u

 

 

Winter hit the send button and keep her phone away. She thinks of Karina going on a date with Lucas, it made her sighed while wallking.

 

Poor Yeonjun.

 

 

 

"Well, at least I'll have my slushie." 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

--------------------

raw im sorry