Chapter 3: She seems nice

Experiment

Scared

 

Eunji huffed as she plopped to the floor. Naeun had been rigorously training them, trying to get their powers to show to no avail. Eunji had actually felt some tingling and a heightened awareness, but she didn’t tell Naeun. She wouldn’t want to reveal that to the enemy. She needed to keep things as close to her as possible.

 

But the thing that scared her the most was the fact that she was able to constantly hear Chorong pushing her at the back of her head. She knew they had a degree of telepathic communication to some degree, but it was still freaky. She glanced over to Chorong as she gulped down the water Naeun had given her. 

 

“Eunji. Get up, we’re gonna continue.” Naeun’s stern voice broke through her train of thought. She was gonna disobey and retaliate but decided against that, because, well, angering a person who probably had powers and more training than her was right at the bottom of the to-do list. 

 

“Alright, since none of you have shown any outward signs of having any of the powers so far, let's try something different.” Naeun smiled, gesturing for Hayoung to go to her. Hayoung hesitantly walked beside Naeun, holding her breath as Naeun held onto her shoulder. Eunji glared at the guard, not wanting Naeun to hurt Hayoung, as naeun’s grip tightened on Hayoung’s shoulder, Eunji felt her legs start to feel tense, a light pulsing sensation flowing through her body.

 

Naeun smirks. Special, but untrained. She tightens her grip on the younger girl, Hayoung finally lets up, letting out a loud yell. Eunji grunts, lifting one foot and the other, rushing to Hayoung. But, she had underestimated the speed she was travelling at, tackling Hayoung and Naeun to the ground.

 

A loud thud echoed through the training grounds, the pair opposite of them stopped too. Chorong looked directly at Eunji, a small smile on her lips as she saw Eunji help hayoung up but leave Naeun on the ground. Naeun rolls her eyes, sighing as she rises to her feet.

 

“Super speed and super strength…” Naeun mutters, taking out a notepad out of nowhere and writing something down. Eunji frowns as she stares at the notepad. Naeun waves her hand, and suddenly it vanishes. What the…

 

“It’s advanced technology, no magic.” Naeun mumbles, seeing Eunji’s confused face. Eunji opens to say something, but Naeun beat her to it. “The only magical one here is Chorong. Telepathy, her power. We don’t know how she got it along with teleportation. It’s strange because with whatever serum we use, we cannot replicate that of her observable powers.” Naeun shares, quickly shutting as she realises she’s rambling.

 

“Well, enough of that. Let’s continue, Eunji, you can sit at the bench.” Naeun mutters, Eunji lets herself fall onto the bench. Her legs still jittery from her fast pace run just a few moments ago. Although, she feels more lightweight.

 

Suddenly, she sees a flash of light, similar to the one in her dreams. Chorong just appears. “Hi there.” Chorong whispers, Eunji glances over the girl, noting the bruises and little cars on the girls’ body. Frowning, she unconsciously reaches her hand out, gently running her fingers over the scars. Chorong sits there, not knowing what to do. Eunji quickly realises what she was doing, retracting her hand as blush spreads across her face.

 

“Sorry, I…Why do you have scars?” Eunji mumbled, worriedly looking at Chorong. Chorong’s face softened knowing that Eunji cared. “Well, unlike you, miss super strength. I am the one getting tackled, not the one tackling.” Chorong light heartedly jokes. And Eunji laughs, for the first time, she lets out a small but genuine belly laugh. 

 

Naeun suddenly appears in the peripheral vision  of Eunji. Eunji jumps from surprise as Chorong smiles at Naeun before disappearing in yet another smoke of light. “Jesus, do you have teleportation too or something?” Eunji asks, getting up from the bench and walking to Hayoung’s side. 

 

“No, but it is easy to get distracted when you talk to someone you like.” Naeun murmurs, turning to Hayoung. Eunji blushed, her cheeks reddening at the words Naeun had said.  “Well, Hayoung. From what I’ve seen, has selective hearing. Oh and enhanced vision.” Naeun said, the tinge of sarcasm evident in her voice. Hayoung merely rolled her eyes, but she chuckled.

 

Eunji stared at Naeun, narrowing her eyes ever so slightly in a form of judgement. Perhaps Naeun wasn’t as bad as her captor. But anyone who works for the douche has to be somewhat bad, right?

 

As they were led back to their “rooms” (more like jail cells,) Eunji pursed her lips, every so often glancing at the somewhat soft spoken guard beside her. “You keep looking at me, what is it?” Naeun gently asked in a whisper tone. Eunji watches as the guard in front perks up, standing a little straighter - perhaps they have an enhanced hearing, or she was being delusional. But she didn’t wanna take her chances, so she slowed her steps, Naeun and a clueless Hayoung along with her. “You’re just so different from what I imagined. You’re, don’t take this personally, but you’re kind of soft? In a kind way though.” Eunji mumbled, Naeun let out a soft laugh. 

 

“Perhaps I am. But others not so much. After all, I was shoved into this life like you. Well, here is your room. Go inside.” Naeun said, her voice becoming sterner at the end of the sentence. But Eunji saw. She saw the playful smile and the glint in her eyes. As if telling her something.

Eunji and Hayoung both entered the room quickly, Naeun sent one last smile to both of them. Lingering in the doorway before she shut the door, locking it on her way out.

 

Eunji sighed as she laid on her very uncomfortable bed. She looked at Hayoung, “Hey, Hayoung. What do you think of Naeun?” Eunji asked absentmindedly. Hayoung looked at her with a smile on her face, “She’s kind. Unlike what I expected, she’s funny and she’s gentle sometimes. Except for when she grabbed my shoulder,” Hayoung said, Eunji chuckled, but she found herself agreeing to much of what the younger had mentioned.

 

Well, there was one last thing to ask Hayoung. “How about Chorong?” She asked, more tense than the last. Hayoung glanced at her, smirked and shrugged. “Well, I barely know her. She seems nice, kind of intimidating, but nice. Although, I believe you know her more?” Hayoung smugly said, before she flipped to her side calling out a good night to Eunji.

That night Eunji laid in bed, a mix of emotions swirling in her heart. Confusion, sad

 

But most of all, just a bit

 

Hopeful