Not The Same Jieun

Oppa! [HIATUS]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A few hours later..

Jieun ‘s brows furrowed as the distant sound of a ringing phone entered her consciousness. When she felt the other side of the bed give, she sighed.

Who could be calling at this ungodly hour?

She tossed to her right, not wanting sleep to depart from her, but her ears caught something that made her eyes open in a flash. She spread out her hand and felt that Jihoon did leave the bed and one look at the light leaking from the ajar bathroom door told her that he was inside, talking to someone.

She didn’t want to spy on him but her feet took one step in front of the other until the muffled sounds were as clear as they can be.

“...lower your voice, it’s 4 am here…” said Jihoon in a quiet voice. 

The angle of the open door was not wide enough for her to see him, but he seemed to be facing the door, albeit completely obscured by it. The curve of his bare arm can be seen through the mirror just beside him though.

Jieun heard an airy chuckle on the other line, the same one that made her open her eyes because it sounded like a woman. And just now, she confirmed that he was talking to a woman. 

“Yah…I’m just greeting you a happy birthday, why are you so grumpy? Besides, you owe me a video call. You promised me one before you left..”

Jieun felt her insides tighten when Jihoon chuckled. She kept saying that tonight is one of those nights when sense and reason don’t count, but still, she can’t help but feel the sting of this situation. They just spent the night together. For a moment there, it felt like the perfect ending to a story where two old lovers meet again. But maybe that’s not the case. 

Jieun smiled bitterly to herself and took a deep breath before going back to bed. There was no point in pretending that she’s sleeping. She might as well leave and go back to her room. 

She was picking her underwear and clothes on the floor when she heard the bathroom door close, and soft padded footsteps drawing closer. Jieun quickly put on the dress, not wanting to face Jihoon ..she can already tell that he can see through her even with clothes on. 

“Where are you going?” 

“Back to my room.”

She heard him draw closer but she didn’t want to look at him.

“Why?”

“I don’t need to explain..”

When she saw him take the space in front of her she half froze. She didn’t want him to see the disappointment on her face. He can’t see that. This was supposed to be a y birthday night. She’s supposed to be the cool ex who slept with Jung Jihoon in Greece. Nothing more, nothing less. 

“Hey…if it was the call..”

Jieun was trying her best to take her time on fixing the undone bow on her dress, trying to gather enough courage to say what she wanted to say. More like..to say what she wanted  him to hear, instead of the disappointment that was starting to spread inside her head like a disease. 

She gave the small bow one last fix, then lifted her gaze. 

“No, no. Not that. I thought I made it clear. This night was your birthday present.” 

Jihoon’s brows furrowed. He initially looked confused then his jaw was set when a look of understanding spread out on his features. 

“Ah. Was that it?” He asked, looking rather unfriendly.

In spite of herself, Jieun smiled, feeling internally relieved that Jihoon bought her bluff. 

“I told you, I’m not the same Jieun you knew, oppa.”

She gave him a lopsided grin before she picked her phone and purse from the nightstand and went out of the door. 

******

It was a looooong flight. When Jieun received Inna’s message that she wouldn’t be able to pick her up because of a work emergency, she half expected it. Nothing seems to be going her way.

Her phone pinged again.

Don’t worry, a friend was kind enough to offer to pick you up *wink*. Just go to Bay 9. 

Jieun shook her head at Inna’s last message.

“I swear to God, if this is one of my mom’s prospects..” She mumbled to herself. 

More than once, her mother and Inna have collaborated to set her up with a “nice young man”. It would always end awkwardly because she just couldn’t bring herself to give back the same attention. If Greece wasn’t enough indication, she’s clearly not over her ex, and that’s probably the reason why she just can’t find interest in dating anyone. 

She sighed when she caught her thoughts drifting towards Jihoon territory again.

“Ugh. You’re in Seoul now. No more Jihoon thoughts!” She scolded herself. 

When she got past immigration, it didn’t take long until she was able to get her bags. Luckily, her flight details were kept secret and no one was waiting outside to take her pictures. Still she cautiously covered her face just to make sure. 

She quickly made her way to Bay 9, and looked around. When she saw Dr. Yoo enthusiastically waving his arms to catch her attention, she felt sorry. Did Inna ask him to pick her up?

“Wahh, Inna is really something else. I’m so sorry, Dr. Yoo. You didn’t have to do this. I know you’re friends with Dongwook oppa, but this is too much.” She winced as the kind doctor helped her with her bags.

“Yah, what did I say? I’m Teo oppa outside the clinic. I’m your friend too.” He said, rolling his eyes at her when she protested. 

The drive to Seoul was pleasant. It was nice to be surrounded by a person who made her feel safe. 

“Jinja? You drove your bike everyday?” He asked, his eyes wide and looking at her proudly.

“Yes! I think I can start trying to drive a car soon.” She beamed.

“Baby steps, Jieun.”

“I know Doctor….er…oppa. Hehe.” She winced when the doctor playfully glared at her. “It’s so hard to get used to calling you oppa.”

“It’s okay…uhm..” 

Jieun looked at Teo, expectant. It looked like he had something to say, but he was smiling, looking like he changed his mind.

“What? Are you going to ask what kind of souvenirs I got this time around?” She teased.

“Haha! No…I..well, I just thought you might want to join a marathon. My friend and I are training for it every weekend.”

“That sounds fun!”  She replied, thinking that a marathon was just what she needed. A healthy distraction. Besides, she’s going to resume touring soon, which means she needs to take health and exercise seriously. 

“Really? Great. I can pick you up…if you’re not driving yet.” 

“Doc…er, oppa, you’re not my driver…” she protested.

“Inna isn’t your driver too..” He teased and she couldn’t find a fitting response because honestly, he’s right. 

“Fine…since you’re letting me take advantage

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter