seven

Reverie

seven

 

 

After two dances with the Crowned Prince, I was eternally grateful that I had learned how to waltz in finishing school. I had already been bashfully lead out to the dance floor with so many curious eyes watching and judging, I couldn’t imagine what more they would have thought or said if I didn’t know how to dance at all.

 

Prince Junmyeon held me like a delicate glass doll, taking carefully steps with the beautiful music. I could sense that a few had joined us on the dance floor, but I couldn't bring myself to look around to see more stares. It was easier to look at Prince Junmyeon's handsome smile as it curved up in reassurance.

 

“I apologize if you didn’t want the extra attention,” Prince Junmyeon grinned at me, “I couldn’t miss the chance of a dance with the infamous Kaira, our cherished Miss Kaira.”

 

“You mock me, Your Highness,” I cocked my head, frowning at him.


“I’d never,” He smiled, “Not when I risk the impending murder by my own brother.”

 

“I see,” I confirmed, stealing a look at Baekhyun who was still at the head table when Prince Junmyeon led me into a gentle spin, “I thought all of this was meant for you and your brothers. Why did you ask me?”

 

Prince Junmyeon grinned again, “As I said, I could never pass the chance when you look like a vision. As for the intentions for the parties, I’ve told you they’re mainly for my brothers. I, on the other hand, have some time on my side.”
 

“Time?”
 

The Prince swayed his head to the music, “If I must indulge you, my father has hopes that I can make a good connection in the West, preferably in England or even Russia. The Romanovs are quite the powerhouse. It would certainly help establish our kingdom with more support from foreign allies.”

 

I sighed, “Does everything need to be an auspicious transaction?”

 

Prince Junmyeon closed his eyes, “Unfortunately so, so please, let me enjoy this night while my brothers wait in misery for their divinely guided matches. I'll be hearing their complaints tomorrow morning at breakfast.”

 

Before long, our two dances had finished and I was whisked away by my brother, signalling that I was not available to the arms of another man. I quickly noticed that as time continued the interested began descending upon us with liquid courage running hot though their veins, to which my brother politely rejected their advancements, claiming that he still wanted to dance another song with me.

 

“I still think your dress looks like a giant dust ball sweeping up and down the floor,” Jongdae said, glaring at any man who looked my way, “But I see the genius of Lay. Whatever magic he weaved in this dress, makes you look like a piece of the night sky-”

 

Right in the middle of my compliment, Jongdae abruptly stopped, his eyes landing on someone behind me. I twisted around to see what other man he deemed to be unsuitable but it was no man. It was a simple servant, carrying a tray for treats and wine for the guests that were seated around the perimeter.

 

My first thought of the strange interuption was that he probably needed something to drink. I suggested for a drink but he gave me a stupid blank look and I realized a thought that had never crossed my mind. His eyes followed this mysterious servant with long smooth raven black hair out of the pavilion.

 

I suddenly stepped away from my brother and fanned my face.

 

“It’s getting awfully hot, isn’t it?” I blinked hoping he’d take the hint, “Shall we take a step outside for some fresh air?”

 

“Huh?” He breathed out. I stepped on his foot to break his trace and he glared at me, “What?”

 

“Let’s go outside,” I rolled my eyes, this time guiding my brother back down the stone steps so we could take a well-deserved rest by the pond. Grabbing a treat also didn’t sound like a bad idea. Jongdae and I bickered all the way down, back to the pond as he complained about his feet throbbing in pain. Outside, there was a bit of movement with a few guest strolling around and servants coming and going.

 

I had spotted the girl my brother had laid eyes on and approached her. She had been taking orders from another pair who looked startled to see me approach them all.

 

“Excuse, pardon me if I’m interrupting,” I announced. The servant snapped up in obedience and her sharp eyes rounded in surprise.

 

“Not at all,” She shook her head.

 

I smiled, “Is it possible to lead my brother to the winery? He is quite curious of the selection of tonight’s drinks.”

 

She gave a curt nod and headed toward my unassuming brother. Seeing his shock and his inability to get a grip on words, he was suddenly lead away by this servant. As they walked past me, I loudly proclaimed I would love some pastries to try.

 

“Kaira?”

 

I wheeled around to find Prince Baekhyun standing across from me on the other side of the retangular pond. The light from the moon reflected of the still waters just enough light to illuminate his gentle face.

 

“Your Highness,” I bowed my head.

 

He took a step away from the pavilion, as did I.

 

“Are you enjoying your night?” I asked, as he took three quick steps. I took two big ones to match him.

 

He didn’t answer as he kept his eyes on me, his sights were glue on me as I felt a sneaking smile creep upon my face.

 

“You came,” He pointed out and I let out a small laugh.

 

“Of course I did,” I responded.

 

“You’re here.” He continued on.

 

We had both reached the far end of the pond and came together at last.

 

“Thank you,” He whispered out, “For coming, Kaira.”

 

I dismissed his earnest thanks, “You sound like you missed a dearly beloved friend. You couldn’t have missed me that much.”

 

He shook his head, “I didn’t know I had.”

 

We fell in silence. It was a bit uncomfortable trying to figure out the rights words to day when I wanted to know everything that he had been up to in my absence. I wanted to know about his own schooling and if he had traveled as much as his brother. Although I had a nagging motive to ask him about his infamous toyings with the court ladies, I couldn't gather the courage to bring it up. In fact, I couldn't think of a single thing to say.

 

"It's been so long," Baekhyun finally spoke up for the both of us, "You've certainly changed."

 

I patted my hair down nervously, trying to not look too flattered with a simple obvious truth. We both had changed. 

 

"You just saw me a few days ago," I pointed out. 

 

"And I didn't know you could look even more beautiful," He blurted out before immediately apologizing, "I'm sorry if I'm being too forward, I recalled you hated it as children."

 

I let out a small laugh as he brought up our youth. I nodded in agreement, "You used to torment me with your attention. Surely you can agree how persistent you were as a child.” 



Baekhyun narrowed his eyes at me playfully, "I believe the exact words you'd describe me during school was the annoying one."

 

I slapped a hand over my mouth to stop myself from really laughing this time. “You never wanted to be my friend. I always tried to play with you. I even tried to show you my belongings.” Baekhyun recalled looking more animated and pleased he could get a reaction from me.

 

“Did you?” I laughed, pretending to be unable to recall our shared childhood. If I gave it a moment, I think I would be able to remember all the details of that precious time of my life.

 

“You kicked my ball over the wall to this Secret Garden once, don't you remember?” He furrowed his brows, “You knew we weren’t allowed to go inside and you took the opportunity to use my kindness to try and sneak in."

 

“I knew I wasn’t allowed,” I admitted, “I thought all Royals were granted access whenever they pleased.”

 

“I was a child.” He pointed out.

 

I shrugged, “Well you are right and my plan didn’t work but, I have to thank you. I finally am able to see this secret.”

 

I looked around at the now muted colors of the garden, it was still a sight to just be in the middle of, nestled in the most peaceful part of the palace with the music of the pavilion floating down to us in a soft vibrance.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me you were going to finishing school?” Baekhyung gave me an absentminded blink as if his mind and thoughts were a million miles away.

 

I clasped my hands together in front and smiled, “Your Highness, I had no idea. I was sent away on the day of your Honoring.”

 

He blinked, furrowing his brows together in thought, “I thought had lied to me and didn’t want to come.”

 

“You made me promise.” I lowered my gaze, “I learned very quickly that if I accepted any propositions you made, it would save me a few hours of my ear being talked off it’s head.”

 

The Prince scowled, “I had the worst time waiting for you that day. I had a fit and left my party early. You'll have to forgive me when I admit that I went to our school room and threw your book into the creek behind my chamber." 

 

My mouth fell open but I was amused to hear what had been the aftermath of my departure, "Is that so?"


Baekhyun looked pained to have to admit that to me."T
hen your brother told Junmyeon where you had gone. And I believed with every fiber in me, that you had told Junmyeon your secrets and I was incredibly angry at you. For years.”

 

 We both had found a resting place, sitting on a carved stone bench by the end of the pond. It was a bit cramped for two people but both of us didn’t mind. We simply sat very close together.

 

“Angry?” I whispered out, taking the time to memorize the new mature curves of his face. It was a fact that he had aged into a fine-looking man. His head was thick with dark hair and his eyes remained expressive pools of dark honey.

 

The Prince’s twisted face soften, as our eyes connected, “Could you blame me for feeling so hurt and broken. I had lost my first love.”

 

I paused at his admission. I had known that the Third Prince had a unusually liking towards me but I never knew he had claimed it as love. He chuckled softly at my damning reaction and his lips, “Was I not incredibly obvious? All the staff loved to share things they caught us doing.”

 

I let out a nervous breath, scared if I had forgotten an embarrassing memory, “What did we do?”

 

Baekhyun leaned his head closer, keeping out conversation private as curious onlookers slowly strolled by.

 

“I was quite a relentless boy was I not?,” He asked, “Do you recall all the times I chased you after our lessons? Or how I’d cry after you preferred the company of my brother instead of me.”

 

I nodded, “I remember the times you hid my books hoping that I wouldn’t ask Prince Junmyeon to read to me. It would get us into some awful arguments.”

 

Prince Baekhyun broke into a laugh, “I think that summer was the nicest you had ever been to me and I had a childish thought that perhaps in a few years, I could convince you to be mine."

 

"That's quite a plan for such a young prince." I pointed out, "Risking your crown for me? I suppose I could understand your anger when you would have the most to lose."

 

 "I was destroyed when you left.” He nodded, "But I suppose I had to grow out of those childish ideas."

 

“I hope you’re not too angry with me anymore. It hadn’t been my choice.” I apologized. There was a slight lull as I leaned my weight back onto my hand that propped my upper body. I took the moment to look at the beautiful night sky appreciating the time I was having with the prince. I knew I was on borrowed time. As I continued to spectate the wonders of the universe my heart clenched tightly, feeling the brushes of fingertips gracing over my hand.

 

I glanced at Baekhyun who studied my reaction to his grazing touch, hiding very well in his face, that he was spreading a tickling fire under my skin with his fingertips.

 

 He flashed a simple and polite smile, “You’re here now and there’s much to talk about.”

 

"Like what?" I asked unsure of what to speak on next.

 

"You don't still have eyes for my brother, do you?" He asked his lips in anticipation as if he were getting ready to drink a much needed cup of cool water.

 

I inhaled deeply and crossed my arms away from his touch, "Surely your not asking what my feelings are towards your brother after a simple dance when you barged into my work with the girl that accompanied you at Madam Min’s.”

 

Baekhyun groaned and leaned away for a moment, trying not to smile at how quick I was to point out his hypocrisy. I suppose it entertained him to not have me bend at his wish.

 

“You torture me.” He dramatically said, “I didn’t realize my playful affairs would be analyzed by you.”

 

“It was a mere observation.” I lied, "Just like you observed your brother and I."

 

 The man beside me snapped up in attention and leaned in dangerously close.

 

“Then I won't look away, ever,” He breathed out, “As long as you keep your eyes on me.”

 

I gulped, feeling the strange sensation of thrist. I my lips as I glanced down at his own lips, they were parted again. They were smooth and plumped and wet when his tongue quickly darted out to provide a bit of moisture. I wondered if he needed water as much as I did. I leaned a millimeter in, inching my way closer unable to stop myself from the pull he had on me. Time felt delicate. As if we both knew something had been robbed from us and we had no idea what it was. Even in the obvious silence, I could feel my heart cherish every second that ticked by.

 

I had the strength to tear my sights off of him and glance around feeling my heart pounding in my chest, “I fear that I’ve stolen so much time from you. Your guests must be wondering where you are, waiting for a dance with you as well.”

 

“Nevermind them,” Baekhyun waved them off, “There is much to catch up on.”

 

I tilted my head to the side knowingly. Functions like these always required the known presence of their hosts.

 

Baekhyun let out a sigh and pressed his lips cutely, “I suppose you're right. I rather avoid my parents questioning later on in the night.”

 

He promptly rose to his feet and extended his hand. Thinking he was going to help me up, I place a hand in his. He brought it up to his lips and pressed a long warm kiss that flared in heat on my skin. I felt my face crumble in heat.

 

Prince Junmyeon had done the exact same when he asked for a dance but it hadn’t felt like this.

 

“Please come to the Grand Fête,” Baekhyun asked, “It will be lots of fun. There will be races and-”

 

“Your Highness,” I began.

 

“Baekhyun.” He corrected.

 

Prince Baekhyun,” I gave him a playful glare, "I don't think I could steal any more time away from you. There are people here waiting to get to know you and perhaps offer a grand alliance of marriage. I couldn't be selfish enough to come between you and your future."

 

 His face had already accepted defeat when I offcially responded to his request.

 

“I’ll see you in two days, Your Highness.” I walked away before I had the chance to see him break into the silliest of dazed smiles.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

There. The fluff. Cherish it. It won't last for too long.