Chapter 2

All I do is Wait

“What about Kyungsoo, Hyung?”

He got no answer from Junmyeon, so Chanyeol unfroze himself to stand in front of his hyung. He tentatively placed his hands on Junmyeon’s shoulders.

“How’d you… how’d you….” he frowned but continued, “Kyungsoo stopped them from making a ruckus, but he handed me his resignation.”

“What! NO!!” Chanyeol screamed. His hands automatically pulled back. Midway Junmyeon caught his wrist and caged it with his own hands. 

“He thinks it is the right thing to do. According to him, we still have Baekhyun and me to form the vocal line. He doesn’t want to be here without his friend,” Junmyeon said. 

“No!!! He can't. Why does he think that? Where is he? Has he also left? Why did he think that, we can’t let him be hyung!! Where is he? Has he already left? Is he out of the dorms? Does he know that he is in the main vocal? He is going to throw away everything? Who will help me harmonize? Is he outside the door now? Has he already left? I can’t compose without him, HYUNG!!” Chanyeol said frantically. His eyes had widened even more than before. It worried Junmyeon how fast Chanyeol was talking.

“Chanyeol! Chanyeol, listen to me,” seeing that had little effect on him,so Junmyeon got up and grabbed his face. Junmyeon said as he pulled down the frantic Chanyeol, and to draw his attention, “he hasn’t left yet.”  

Chanyeol flinched, “Yet? That means he is ready to leave!” 

 Junmyeon took a deep breath before he continued, “He still has not left, you know why? Tao told him some made up way to resign. Plus, the managers have left the dorms for the weekend. Everyone is practicing with Yixing, who is leading training right now, keeping everyone together and occupied,” Junmyeon looked away towards the door and back to Chanyeol, “and I came to get you.”

At the resounding silence, Junmyeon glanced at Chanyeol. He could see his eyes glistening. “Let’s both... Um.. go together?” Chanyeol asked.

“Of course,” Junmyeon said as he let his grip loosen on Chanyeol’s face, only to be gripped tightly back, “Chanyeol?”

“I… I don't know, I’m sorry, I…I..uh, sit with me?” he pleaded.

Junmyeon nodded at Chanyeol as the giant guided him to sit on the bed. His eyes were pooled with tears, trembling voices, and his defeated posture made Junmyeon think that he did it all wrong. Maybe he should have not told Chanyeol. At least not yet. 

 

But Chanyeol had been a pillar of strength for Junmyeon, always there to support him.

Kris had guided him as a fellow leader, but it was Yixing and Chanyeol, who did most of his work for him. They sat through auditions of trainees, managerial meetings, song compositions, possible ad libs and rap verses, even more than Junmyeon was able to. Chanyeol got along with almost everyone, and just laughed at sharp comments from higher ups, unlike Junmyeon who refused to let it go. Yixing being the first choice for leader, Chanyeol was also close to being considered. But both of them had refused, even when Junmyeon was benched. The group had been adamant on Junmyeon being the leader. They had said it constantly and unwaveringly, throughout training, debut and post debut, Junmyeon, aka, Suho, was their leader. That is why Chanyeol and Yixing had to be the first ones known and that too from him.

 

“Tell me,” Junmyeon asked, “Chanyeol, how can this hyung help you.”

It took some time before Chanyeol spoke, he continued to sobbed into the shoulder of Junmyeon.

“I don't know… I thought we were close. All of us. We would tell each other things, before everyone knew them.I thought we would always be Exo! I thought we would…” Chanyeol finally grabbed Junmyeon’s waist, and hugged him tight. Junmyeon’s arms automatically wound around him.

 

There were no guide books to this: what to do when members who are your brother, leave and others want to do so as well. The Company and managers had assured him that it was a long shot that he would dare to leave. But it didn’t make him feel any better, just worse in fact. All those years forging lines of communication, of relationships, of being able to depend on each other and what not. Gone, and the company wanted to erase it all, if they could.

The first person he told was Minseok Hyung, rambling to his hyung who had come to check up on him and Yixing. Jongdae was just around the corner to be added to the conversation. One of the managers called Junmyeon to give final instructions for the weekend. Junmyeon had to excuse himself and Minseok filled up Jongdae on what was happening. On his return he overheard Hyung tell Jongdae saying that he didn’t want to stay. He felt his stomach drop. At his pale face, Jongdae, who saw him from the corner of his eyes, grabbed him into a tight hug with reassurances pouring out of his mouth. Minseok said that he was considering it but he liked being a part of the group. Jongdae tightened his hold on Junmyeon before whispering, “If you both stay, I’ll stay.” Minseok hyung joined by squishing them together in an even tighter hug. On his suggestions, Junmyeon would tell the members one on one, starting with Baekhyun. 
 

Starting a conversation with Baekhyun was starting a war. The ugly fight between him and Chanyeol, who were closest to each other, was yet to be resolved, and both were avoiding each other.  Baekhyun refused to join them in jam sessions, knowing Chanyeol would be there, and Chanyeol avoiding the dance practice even more than before. But if either of them came to know about this from someone besides their leader, it wouldn't be fair. It wouldn't be fair to anyone in the group in fact.

 

Baekhyun froze when Junmyeon cornered him, choosing to stare at Junmyeon like he had grown another head or three when Junmyeon told him. Once Junmyeon was done, Baekhyun asked, “what?”

And then, he did what Junmyeon didn’t expect.

Baekhyun walked straight out of the kitchen, without saying a word. Junmyeon followed him, running behind him, to see him go into his room. When Junmyeon peeped inside, he saw Baekhyun trying  to pack his bags.

It was then, when he started to scream, hurling abuses and cursing out loud. Jongin and Sehun were playing games in Baekhyun’s room, and were surprised to see him this way. It wasnt odd to hear him cursing, but it was when he was cursing AND crying at the same time.

They abandoned their game to console him. But first, they had to be told what Baekhyun was told by Jongdae, as Minseok and Junmyeon tried to talk to Baekhyun. Junmyeon who had also by that time started crying.

Tried talking, being an important word. Minseok had to restrain Baekhyun to stop him from packing and make him listen to what they had planned. Minseok tried his best to calm him down, while holding Jongdae, who had also started crying. Zombie like Kyungsoo entered the room and found them like this:

Minseok Holding a crying Jongdae, who was holding a crying Baekhyun, who was petting Jongin and Sehun, as they cried with Junmyeon on the floor. At Jondae’s screech and request, he hid some of Baekhyun’s favorite plushies. He was dragged into the group hug by Sehun, who literally pulled and pushed him onto Jongin, who looked mildly terrified and elated at the same time.

  

Only after much coaxing from the Hyungs, that they weren’t disbanding nor was anyone else leaving, Baekhyun let himself be unwrapped from the group hug. He sniffled and petted all his dongsaeng in the room, one by one. 

“As long hyungs are by my side, and maknaes are following me, I’ll be Exo,” he said to Junmyeon, with eyes full of sincerity. 

That prompted maknaes to hit him with pillows, and Kyungsoo trying to push him away when he fell on him, but that was nothing unusual.

“Yixing!” Hyung had come to find Junmyeon,“Just the man I was thinking of!! Let go of me, you giants!!!” Baekhyun said to the maknaes still smothering him.

 

Baekhyun and Yixing dragged everyone to dance practice, so as to keep each other occupied. Under the guise of practicing, they forced other trainees and staff to sign Sehun’s petition. Jongdae and Minseok stayed back with Junmyeon to discuss further.

“Oh Hyung,” Baekhyun had popped his head just as Junmyeon was about to sit on the bed. 

At Baekhyun’s abrupt return, he got up a beat too fast and lost his balance. He would have face planted on the floor, if Minseok and Jongdae hadn’t caught him. One hand at his back and the other on his chest. 

Junmyeon was red in the face with how close they were, but at least he didn’t fall.

At Baekhyun’s giggles, he asked alarmingly, “What!”

When he could stop giggling, “Talk to Chanyeol now, he is still in the studio sulking” Baekhyun said softly, “he hasn’t really been himself lately.” 

But he lost it again. From his perspective the three of them were nodding at the same time, like synchronized dolls that one puts in the car. 

“Baekhyun,” Minseok said in a low tone, still holding Junmyeon by his waist.

“Yes Hyung?” Baekhyung asked cheekily with his mischievous smile and eyebrows wiggling.

“Just go,” Jongdae said at the same time as Minseok said, “I will make Kyungsoo destroy everything you own.”

“I am going, I am going!! God!!” Baekhyun said.