June 1987

The First and Only
Please log in to read the full chapter

Camp Echo, Mt. Desert Island, Maine

Taemin aged 14; Minho aged 16

After 29 days of trying to create the perfect moment to confess, Taemin was being led up a mountainside to watch the sunset with Minho himself. 

It had been an eventful month. Last night, after an outdoor movie, Minho held Taemin in a side hug as they walked back in the colder air, keeping a blanket swaddled tightly around them. For the last week, he'd skipped out on the lake to watch and cheer on Taemin at the stables. On Monday, knowing his fear, Taemin jokingly asked Minho to hop on the saddle behind him. He did, leaving Taemin wondering if it was just an excuse to bring their bodies closer. The horse hardly moved fast enough to threaten either of them falling off, and the way Minho clung to his waist felt more like an embrace than a safety measure. When he leaned his chin on Taemin's shoulder, he swore he felt the brush of Minho's lips against his neck.

From the first week, Minho's eyes lingered a little too long when Taemin came out of the shower, a towel wrapped around his waist. His eyes always seemed sleepy when they gazed at him, and he caught Minho's stare several times when they were meant to be sleeping.

But instead of being creeped out, Taemin felt exhilarated. When Minho asked him to spare some time that evening, pressing a kiss to his forehead before jogging away on a midmorning run, Tommy nearly died beside him. He was absolutely sure Minho was going to beat him to it. Minho was bringing him here to confess his feelings. Why else would he choose the romantic backdrop of a mountainside sunset?

Minho signaled for Taemin to wait and ped his backpack. Inside was the same blanket they always used for movie nights, and he unfurled this with a dramatic wave before setting it on the ground. He sat first, patting the blanket next to him for Taemin.

"So you're probably wondering why I brought you up here," Minho began, looking shyly at anywhere but Taemin. "I have something I need to tell you."

In the space between them, Minho's hand hovered Taemin's. His heart accelerated, and his breath caught in his throat.

This is it, thought Taemin as Minho turned to face him. This is it.

"Toward the end of the soccer season, a couple of scouts came by from universities all across the country. A couple of them pulled me aside and said I could have what it takes to get a full-ride, but I'd need to train even harder to build my skills for next year. They recommended a couple of camps, but they all overlap with this one. Do you get what I'm saying?" Minho said, wincing like the words hurt as they left his mouth.

"Wh—what?" Taemin replied. He could already feel the sting of tears in his eyes.

"Next year was supposed to be the last summer I could attend Camp Echo, before I turn 18. But if I do the training instead, tomorrow will be my final day here. You know how it's my dream to become a professional athlete. This could be my shot, Taemin."

Taemin's lips pinched into a thin line. If he opened his mouth, only sobs would pour out. He was thankful the skies were getting darker by the minute. Instead of answering with words, he gave a nod of understanding, lowering his head to hide his face.

"I don't want this to be my last summer with you, so I thought maybe you could come visit me instead. I'm not sure I can do training—my parents were looking at costs and it was really expensive—but if I do then my mom could call your mom and we could figure something out. Maybe you co

Please log in to read the full chapter