restart

The Games We Play

Minji’s eyebrows furrowed as she tried to grasp all the new information handed to her in the past hour. It was around midnight, though Minji couldn’t exactly pinpoint what time is it as her brain was quite literally frying even with the cold air blowing right into her face inside the convenience store.

It was her routine. Since she would be busy with classes in the morning, Minji took a late night shift at a convenience store near her campus where she would also spend time studying fully knowing that not many would come by at that hour, and even if they did, it would just be a few students from the same university hunting for caffeine like the undead hunting for human flesh. It was quite an exaggeration but alas, they don’t look like they’re alive to Minji either. They usually walk in, grab a few cans of caffeinated drinks with a bag or two of chips, pay for them at the counter, then left with not a word out of their mouth.

It seemed as though Minji was too engrossed that her whole body flinched when a loud bang was emitted from the metal surface of the counter. Minji took off her earphones with such urgency that her precious phone almost flew out of her hand to its demise. Almost.

Her eyes searched for her dear customer as she tried to put on her best act of customer service but dropped it instantly when she saw who it was.

“Why would you scare me like that, Bora?”

“Look,” an exasperated sigh left Bora, “you’re not the only one who needs to study right now, can you please ring me up so I can continue where I left off?”

“Could’ve just tapped my shoulder or something…” Minji mumbled.

“Excuse me? My patience can only last for so long and I’ve been standing here for what? Five minutes now?” Bora’s words could be considered rude and even hostile, but her facial expression was that of someone who was seconds away from bursting into tears from stress. Minji was glad she didn’t take whatever classes Bora was taking as an engineering student.

“There- 3000 won and I won’t pay for you this time,”

“The longer I stay here, the higher the chances of me returning to a stolen laptop,” Bora stated, implying that if her laptop goes missing, she would be furious at not only the thief but also Minji. Before leaving, Bora wished her a good night to which Minji hummed in response.

Minji was about to pick her phone back up and continue the video as Bora was walking out of the door but stopped when she realized another person entered. She sigh and proceeded to place her phone back down. Said person, was a slightly shorter woman in a black hoodie and Minji’s eyes widened when she saw her face. Minji knew she had just made a fool of herself when the woman turned and made eye contact with her which made Minji avert her eyes, making herself look even more suspicious.

How could someone look so similar to Yoohyeon? Minji should’ve known better because, unlike the woman in front of her, Yoohyeon was taller than Minji and she certainly didn’t remember growing any taller than she did in high school.

The woman approached Minji and stopped about a foot away from the counter as she made some gestures and asked, “Do you- uh… do you have?”

“Huh?”

“For injuries?”

“Band-aids?” The woman’s face lighted up and she replied with an excited ‘yes’. Minji smiled and politely point at the shelf where they should be.

Minji couldn’t help but steal a few glances at the woman when she returned to the counter to pay.

“You’re Kim Minji, right?” the woman asked as she handed some cash over. It caught Minji off guard, but she didn’t hesitate to confirm with a nod. This made the woman smile and chuckle a bit. “I’m Handong, I heard about you from my classmates,”

“Nothing negative I hope,”

“No way! They…” Handong paused for a moment as if looking for the right word, “…admire you. Well, most of them do,”

“Really? I’m honored,” Minji ignored the nagging voices in her head.

“Hope to see you soon,”

And just like that, Handong came to the store again a few days later. This time, she inquired nothing from Minji as she strode straight to Minji for a chat.

“Hi,” Handong greeted with a smile almost blinding to the eyes.

“Oh! How may I help you?”

Handong kept mum and Minji without an ounce of suspicion, assuming that she was just struggling to find the right things to say in a language not her own. After a while, she spoke, “I don’t have many friends here and I’m wondering if you want to be my friend,”

“Of course!” Minji was caught off guard by the offer but she didn’t let it show, instead, the corner of her lips twitched as she attempted to shamelessly flirt with Handong, “But how is nobody on the campus lining up to be friends with a pretty girl like you?”

“I’m a foreigner,” What? Do close-minded people still exist in this era? Baffled Minji was, at the simple yet rather offensive reason.

“That doesn’t matter,” Minji replied, in hopes, it would make the other woman feel better.

 

 

“Are you sure she’s not into you?” Bora asked, without looking at Minji’s way who was happily munching on a cookie.

“Gosh, Bora. You sure have changed,” Minji shot her a playful side-eye, “Just a decade ago you would mock girls who were into each other in middle school,” It was hard to hold herself back from recalling the past where the image of Bora grimacing over girls going around taking pride in being a lesbian and making out in school compound was crystal clear in her memory box. Though Minji knew Bora had an entirely different reason up her sleeve.

“Who wouldn’t? They treated it like a trend and it’s embarrassing to watch,”

“Are you sure it wasn’t because they were flirting with your girlfriend?” Bora quickly eyed around.

“Please refrain from casually outing me in public.”

“Oh, no! I’m so sorry, how may I make it up to you, my princess?” Bora swatted Minji’s hand away with an audible ew and disgust plastered on her face. My princess, the nickname Bora’s high school sweetheart used to call her. Minji might have been immune to romantic tendencies but it didn’t fail to make her gag quite a bit in the past when she happened to stumble upon the two at Bora’s house.

“Would you prefer if a little bird contact someone and told them a tiny secret?”

“What?”

“I still have Yoohyeon’s number,”

“She might’ve changed it already with how she disappeared right after we graduated,”

“Aw, it seems that somebody is still salty,” Bora sneered. Oh, the audacity.

‘No, I’m not!’ Minji’s defensive outbursts could be heard from a distance inside the bustling cafe as a woman with freshly dyed blond hair slowly approached them.“Greetings, fellow inmates,”

“Drop that already,”

“Hi, Singnie! You’re finally here,”

“And you’re strangely lively today,” Siyeon stated, her signature teasing smile evident on her face to which Minji responded with a frown and a ‘What do you mean by that?’.

Bora quietly observed the two as she took another sip from her glass of now cold coffee and she heard Siyeon. ‘You usually look like you’re seconds away from dropping dead.’

“A pretty girl flirted with her,” Bora dropped, making sure she said it loud enough as revenge for Minji throwing her under the bus earlier.

“That’s it? Isn’t that fairly common?”

“She looks like Yoohyeon,” Bora added, and oh my, how Siyeon’s smirk grew wider.

“Bora!”

“Hey, are you sure it’s not… you know,” Siyeon sat down, her former teasing tone replaced by a worried one, “one of those?”

“Cults?”

“Yeah, their targets are innocent-looking university slaves, and you-” Siyeon cleared , “look exactly like one. Did she say anything about the right path?”

“No?”

Siyeon seemed to be lost in her thoughts before a smirk emerged once again, “Then, she’s just gay,”

“Or friendly,”

Bora looked at Minji incredulously before asking, “Are you serious? You said she’d been making frequent visits to the convenience store to buy nothing for two months now, there has to be something going on.”

“Bora, we’re friends,”

“She is quite suspicious,” all Siyeon said before her attention was averted onto a notification bell going off of her phone as Siyeon briefly ignored her still bickering friends. ‘See?’

“Oh,” Minji and Bora quieted down and looked at Siyeon, “I almost forgot. The book club I’m in is throwing a dinner party and wanted everyone to bring their friends,”

“When is it?” Minji asked.

“This Saturday,” Bora shook her head saying that she had plans.

“But I don’t read,” Minji pouted. How was she supposed to fit in a highly literate bunch when the only actual book she’d ever touched are textbooks?

“Minji, who in the world reads at a dinner party? They even told everyone to bring some friends so obviously there’s going to be alcohol around,” Siyeon placed a hand on Bora’s shoulder, a silent way of telling her to take a rest from provoking poor Minji.

“Then I’ll go,”

“Great! Let me tell them,”

 

 

“Hi,” A familiar voice greeted Minji.

“Handong!” She waved at Handong, flashing an eager smile.

Siyeon made an ‘O’ with before asking, “You two knew each other?”

“Yeah, we met at my workplace,” Minji replied and she felt Siyeon eyeing her but she ignored the latter as she indulge herself in a chat with Handong.

“Oh?”

“Hey,” This time a new unfamiliar voice was heard and for a moment Minji thought it was Siyeon’s friend attempting on a conversation with her.

“Nice seeing you here, Yoohyeon,”

Siyeon let out a little gasp and her eyes widened. She looked at Minji briefly who had long ago ceased talking to Handong. A figure walked past them and Minji felt her world freeze at the sight of said figure. Kim Yoohyeon.

She believed she had at least moved on even just a little bit after so long, so why does her heart long for the woman whom she hadn’t seen in forever? Yoohyeon who might have forgotten her by now.

They were all invited to sit down as food and drinks were sent to their tables one by one. Minji was speechless to see Yoohyeon and even more so now that she was seated across from her. Before eating, Yoohyeon tied her hair and- oh. They look soft and Minji’s fingers itch to touch them. She had been training herself in the past few years to be less touchy but seeing Yoohyeon made it feel like her efforts were in vain. She needed a distraction but Siyeon was nowhere to be found.

“Minji-sshi?” The guys inched forward while holding a bottle of beer closer to Minji’s empty glass. “Here, let me pour you a glass,” he continued.

“Thank you,” She gave a polite smile and lowered her head for a moment to show respect. When Minji downed the glass that was poured for her, it prompted the other men who had been showing interest in Minji to offer in pouring another glass for her. It would be rude to reject, so Minji accepted two more glasses before the supposed third was spilled all over the table.

“Oh, my bad,” Yoohyeon, who was seating next to the said guy chuckled in a cheery tone. “I’m a little clumsy,”

“It’s alright,” Minji felt her skin creep when it seemed as if the guy thought this was two women indirectly bickering for his attention with the way he was smiling. “Would you like me to pour for you instead?”

“That would be great,” He leaned a little closer to Yoohyeon and Minji almost gagged if it weren’t for a loud scoff resonating from beside her, where Handong was trying to pick up a piece of chicken with her chopsticks.

The others were too drunk to read the room and could barely understand the exchanges that had just occurred but the sober ones had their gaze on Handong. As if she felt the stares, Handong smiled, “Sorry, I think there’s a bone stuck in my throat,”

“What, chicken bones?” A man Minji recognized as their club leader, Dohwa, asked in a teasing tone with an amused smile.

“It seems so,” Handong replied, eyes still on the chicken on her plate as she mumbled, the audacity of this chicken.

“I think that’s about enough drinks for you, Dongie,” Wow, this man is skilled in crowd control. Because whoever was near Handong knew she had only one sip of water and no alcohol.

Minji stared at the half-filled glass in front of her and sighed. I don’t even like beer, what am I doing? She stood up and excused herself to the bathroom and the guy from earlier tried to stand up and accompany her saying how it’s dangerous for a lady to be alone outside all tipsy to which Minji ignored and left. Yoohyeon dragged him back down and followed Minji without even batting him an eye.

Oddly, Minji felt nauseous at just a few glasses of beer in her system. Was it because she hadn’t drunk in a while? She stretched her body as she was leaving the toilet but stopped in her tracks when she saw Yoohyeon. Yoohyeon.

Was she waiting for her?

“H-Hi,” What was that Kim Minji? How could you-

“Are you drivi- no,” Yoohyeon smiled, so brightly at her. “Is anybody sending you home?”

“I’m taking the subway,”

“What about your friend?” Minji remembered Siyeon telling her earlier that she would be going home with their club’s secretary, so she shook her head. “If you don’t mind, I can send you home,”

 

 

Just like that, Minji was seated nicely beside Yoohyeon whose eyes were glued on the road. She noted that the latter is a skilled driver with how smooth the drive had been.

"Why are you suddenly being nice to me?" Minji started.

"Why wouldn't I?" Yoohyeon seemed confused and Minji's heart skipped a beat wondering the possibilities of what that could've meant. Could it be that? Or was she trying to mend their friendship? Though normal friendship would be challenging since Minji doubt her ability to move on considering what she had been feeling through the night. Her eyes caught on Yoohyeon’s features from the side. With the streetlight shining, creating a glow on her face, Minji thought Yoohyeon looked stunning.

She couldn't help and her eyes traveled down, landing on Yoohyeon’s exposed neck. Something about it was just- Minji slammed her eyes shut and lay back completely in her seat. She didn't drink as much as she usually does but somehow the alcohol must've gotten into her. How indecent were her thoughts about to be, she sighed.

Realizing the other had closed her eyes, Yoohyeon started frowning and rubbed her neck with her right hand.

"Is this the right place?" Minji opened her eyes and scanned the place outside before nodding. Even when the car had come to a halt, Minji stayed seated. She felt a little lightheaded.

"You-" she wasn't even that drunk from the alcohol but Minji could barely control herself as a part of her heart would disintegrate if she let the chance to see Yoohyeon again in the future slide just like this. She gave up back then but maybe, maybe this time she could. The smile she saw on Yoohyeon’s face made her believe that it was worth a try. Yoohyeon didn't say anything, urging Minji to say what she wishes.

"Can we meet again?"

"For what?" At the tone, Minji almost took back all her words out of fear and embarrassment. However, it also annoyed her.

"Just- to hang out…" A pause. "…as friends." Minji bit her tongue. Was that offensive? Yoohyeon did confess to her after all, what if she took it as Minji being desperate, only chasing after someone who used to have a crush on her because she liked the attention? Minji would rather die than have Yoohyeon feel like she was using her.

"Sure, why not?" Quickly, Minji fumbled with her bag as she ripped off a small piece of paper from her notebook before writing something anyone would assume would be her contact information and handed them to Yoohyeon, almost too eager to do so.

Minji swore she heard a laugh from her when Yoohyeon’s eyes landed on the piece of paper now in her hands. Minji's eyebrows furrowed but before she could open , Yoohyeon stopped her with a question, "Did you change your number?" Minji shook her head and Yoohyeon handed the piece of paper back, "Then, I don’t need it."

"Right..." After a few seconds of silence that would've turned awkward if Minji spent further seated in Yoohyeon’s car any longer, she got out of the car.

"Goodnight,"

Slowly, she made her way up the stairs and the moment she made it inside her tiny rented apartment, Minji crumbled onto the floor and shrieked.

“How shameless of you, Kim Minji!”

 

 

“WHAT?” Minji would never have told Bora of the dinner night’s event if she knew her eardrums would be sacrificed along the way like. She knew she shouldn’t have stepped foot into Bora’s dorm room if she wishes for a peaceful life.

Minji clutched her ears shut as she yelled back, “Bora, shut up!”

“NO. I thought we were joking! You seriously haven’t moved on!?”

Ignoring Bora completely, Minji whined to Siyeon who was minding her own business, “Singnie, you left me to fend for myself,” She pouted while her feet tried to shoo Bora away from her side.

“You should be thanking me instead, I helped you get the girl back,”

“I doubt you did, she seemed distant,”

Bora gripped Minji’s leg where the latter struggled to get her off, “Obviously? It’s been five years,” Bora said as she reached for Minji's other leg.

“Why did you used to hate her, anyway?” Siyeon asked.

“It’s personal, I’m not telling,”

“What? You had a crush on her or something?” Bora glared at Siyeon while Minji glared at her.

“Look!” Siyeon pointed at Minji, in an attempt to direct Bora’s attention, “She’s being feisty,”

“You’re not even together yet, are you that desperate?” Bora showed a distasteful expression, earning a smack from Minji’s foot and another shut up.

“You’re not denying it,” Siyeon pat Minji’s head, and it would’ve looked sweet if it weren’t for the mocking smile on her face.

“What if she doesn’t feel the same?”

“Then you move on,”

 

 

Minji anxiously waited for Yoohyeon at the cafe. She decided to show up half an hour earlier to prep herself but all that happened was her anxiousness growing as the minutes go by. Just about 10 minutes before the time they agreed on, Yoohyeon showed up.

“Hello,” Minji said, as Yoohyeon gracefully took a seat directly in front of her.

“Hi. Sorry, was I late?” Yoohyeon asked, rolling up her shirt sleeves in the meantime, and obviously, Minji didn’t refuse the view presented to her.

“No, not at all. You’re just in time,”

“Great,”

 

 

Their third friendly hang-out was spent with a stroll around the city. Yoohyeon stopped in her tracks before pointing out a dress in a shop display, “I think this would fit you perfectly.”

Minji was taken aback, she thought the sleeveless dress was a little revealing with its exposed back but she was also honored. To think Yoohyeon believed she would shine in that dress, “Ah- thank you, you flatter me,” Minji replied, sheepishly.

 

 

“Are you-”

“Perhaps-”

“Oh,” They laughed. Minji had these moments with Bora before where they would just end up scuffling over who gets to speak first but with Yoohyeon, it’s different.

Minji expected them to banter over who should speak first but Yoohyeon took the initiative after a few seconds of Minji's silence to ask, “Are you free next week?” It would’ve been rude if it were to be anyone else but all Minji thought was Yoohyeon, initiating. Minji felt shy around people who can lead better than her. Maybe that was it, she had always been taking the first step her whole life, so the attraction she felt for people who can do it for her instead grew tremendously.

“About that…” Minji bit her lip. “I was about to tell you that I might be too busy with exam preparations, so I don’t think there’s time to hang out, sorry.” She apologized as she prepared herself for the look of disappointment on Yoohyeon’s face but she met a soft smile instead.

“Don’t be sorry, education is important. It could change the world,” Yoohyeon said.

“You sound like a teacher,”

“I am,” Yoohyeon’s blinding smile was the only thing Minji remembered from that day.

 

 

“I miss her,” Minji was hunched over as she placed her head on the table. She was stuck studying with Bora and Siyeon which she had no complaints against but she wished that a certain someone would be there to give her emotional support too.

“Ew.” Was all that came out of Bora’s mouth as she aggressively typed on her laptop, a normal occurrence.

“Wish she would be here to teach you instead?” Minji had regretted telling her friends about Yoohyeon’s profession. She should’ve kept them in the dark for a peaceful life, seriously. But Minji loved the two too much to keep the goings in her life to herself.

“Shut up, Siyeon.” Minji lifted her head to glare at the said woman.

“For once, I completely agree,” Bora added.

 

 

“How was it?” Yoohyeon asked.

They were at Minji’s workplace, late at night, where Yoohyeon was sipping on an instant cup of coffee she bought there. Minji was a little worried that Yoohyeon may have been pushing herself just to spend some time with her after a long week of the exam, but the latter admitted that she took a few days off from her work.

“Torturous, ten out of ten would never do it again,” Minji groaned, remembering the series of late-night cramming.

“You sound like my students,” A hearty laugh emerged from Yoohyeon, and Minji couldn’t help but smile at it.

“Really? What do you teach?”

“English,” Oh. Minji is dreadful when it comes to foreign languages. There goes her chance to maybe impress.

“Must be nice,”

“It is, surprisingly,”

 

 

“College is hell, I’m surprised people in there has the time to date,” Minji thought it was pretty slick. She hinted about being single to Yoohyeon without sounding too suspicious. At this point, it had been around half a year since Minji brought up ‘hanging out as friends to the other. They were close enough, that right now Minji is comfortably sitting on the couch inside Yoohyeon’s apartment. While Yoohyeon was on the floor.

“You don’t have time to date?” Yoohyeon stopped paying attention to the show that was playing on the television screen as her eyes attentively looked at Minji.

“No,”

“Oh,” Minji had a feeling Yoohyeon thought she was venting about her love life to her as friends do. “Could it be me? You could’ve gone on a date instead if we don’t spend as much time together,” Minji almost hollered at how genuine Yoohyeon sounded. Did she not catch the drift? She thought Minji was just venting to her friend.

“It’s fine, I think you're more fun to be with,” Yoohyeon, I’m single, available, and maybe- just a little desperate. Please.

“Glad you think so,”

 

 

“Welcome back, traitor,” Bora greeted Minji, who was standing at her front door, holding a plastic bag full of snacks.

“What is it now?”

Bora scoffed, “Did you realize that you’ve been spending way less time with us now that Yoohyeon’s around?”

“So what? Both of you can hang out with each other,” Minji took off her shoes and pushed her way in, expecting Siyeon to sprawl all over Bora’s floor. Sure enough, she was.

“Is that how it is, Kim Minji?”

“Do you think I had no idea that the both of you had been making out behind my back?”

“I didn’t know you wanted us to give you a show,” Siyeon puckered her lips to Bora who did the same. It made Minji cringe but she was secretly happy for them.

Though, it didn’t stop Minji from voicing out her distaste at the suggestion of giving her a show, “Ugh, please don’t.”

 

 

Minji loved shopping. Even more so now that her favorite teacher willingly tagged along, instead of being holed up at home playing video games like usual.

“You look amazing,” Yoohyeon complimented, as Minji was posing in the hat she tried on.

“So do you,” Minji said when she saw Yoohyeon reaching for a similar-looking hat.

“We would make an amazing-looking pair then,” What? Minji could feel her heart dropping, perhaps it was hoping for an unlikely sudden confession but her head was empty and all she could do was express her surprise with her voice.

“Huh?”

“I’m kidding,” Yoohyeon said with a grin before putting the hat back down.

 

 

“She said she’s kidding,” Minji complained to her friends about her heart that may or may have not been toyed with but all she was given by them were another series of jokes.

“Jokes on you,”

“Kiss her,” Siyeon said before adding, “With consent, of course.”

 

 

“Hey,” Bora greeted Yoohyeon when she stumbled into her at Minji’s workplace during her hunt for caffeine.

“Oh, hi Bora,” Yoohyeon flashed her a friendly smile and Bora almost stopped. Yoohyeon had never been this friendly with her before, she thought.

Minji couldn’t tell what was going on in Bora’s head when out of nowhere asked Yoohyeon, “Are you single and available?”

“...yes?”

“Good, just stay alone forever,” If it’s not Minji you’re dating.

If it were years ago, Minji would’ve kept quiet and let Bora be but now she dared to scold her more than ever, “Bora, don’t be rude!”

“I’m not, though?”

“Sorry about that, Yooh,” She apologized on behalf of Bora who left not long after giving her not-so-polite greetings to Yoohyeon.

“It’s fine,” Yoohyeon laughed.

 

 

The night marked the seventh month they’ve reconnected with each other, Yoohyeon invited Minji to come over to her place for a drinking night. Yoohyeon knew Minji well enough to only have her favorite brands of wines on display for Minji to choose from. She didn’t understand why Yoohyeon would spend so much on wines when she doesn’t enjoy drinking. But there they were, drinking the night away.

Minji didn’t know how but she had both her arms over Yoohyeon’s shoulder as they shared a hug initiated by Minji. She hadn’t been thinking straight to shamelessly throw herself on Yoohyeon and she knew she would never be able to when she heard Yoohyeon softly whisper to her, “You’re just as warm as I remember,”

went agape and Yoohyeon burrowed her head further into Minji’s neck. “Y-Yoohyeon?” Minji hoped Yoohyeon wasn’t sober because that stutter alone sold her feelings out.

“Why is your heart beating so fast?” Yoohyeon asked the question as if she was genuinely wondering.

Did it calm Minji down? No. If anything, she felt like she would combust at any second given there was even a slight spark. “That’s-” Minji choked out the words.

Then, she almost choked for real.

“Do you feel the same?” Yoohyeon asked again. This time, Minji had lost the ability to speak.

What?

“I’ve completely forgotten about you, but you appear in my life and I had to go through it again. With your kindness, how could anyone not love you when you’re the incarnation of an angel?” Hearing her words, reality dawned upon Minji. Yoohyeon loved her for her kindness when she was far from being said angel. Minji was nice to others, that’s true, but deep in her heart lay a nagging annoyance which she buried even deeper, all because she wanted to please others. Sometimes she was only nice for her gain because she had something to gain from it, be it physical or emotional. If anything Minji was human, not an angel. Would Yoohyeon hate her when one day, she couldn’t keep up the act anymore?

“What if I don’t seem nice anymore? What if I’m not an angel?”

“I thought I’d hate you,” Yoohyeon lifted her face and stared into Minji’s eyes. “But you being mean… would be quite attractive too,” Yoohyeon giggled, laying back into the embrace. “I know you’re human, Kim Minji. You’re just the best one out there since some never bothered to even put their arrogance aside and act nice. But truthfully, I don’t even know why I love you so much,” For a moment, Minji thought Yoohyeon might’ve been completely sober the whole time with how her words flawlessly came out. If she wasn’t, then it would be unfair. How could she speak such words with such effect on her without even knowing it?

“Let’s talk again tomorrow morning when we’re sober,” Minji said and Yoohyeon hummed in response.

 

 

“Good morning,” Minji woke up to Yoohyeon standing just by her bed, in her hands were a plate of food and a glass of water.

“Oh, thanks,” Minji’s voice was hoarse and she felt embarrassed but Yoohyeon’s expression was soft, it was as if she didn’t drink last night. Has she been fooled?

“And it’s true, I do love you,” Yoohyeon said and Minji almost screamed in happiness. But her thought process was directed to whose bed she was laying on. She woke up in Yoohyeon’s bed and said the woman even served her breakfast in it. Gosh.

“It’s hot,” Minji took a spoonful of the soup given.

Yoohyeon frowned, “I cooked the soup an hour ago.”

“I’m not talking about the food, you fool,”

Yoohyeon’s initial frown was replaced with a satisfied grin before staring straight into Minji, “You’re hot too,” She added.

“Oh my god, aren’t you embarrassed?” Minji buried her face in her hands as she tried not to scream once again.

“Why should I be?” Yoohyeon asked but then laughed, telling Minji that she was merely playing with her.

“That’s so mean,” Minji might be pouting, but her heart swelled up in pride.

“Sorry, I’d do anything to make you feel better,” Minji’s ears perked up. It was then she realized, Yoohyeon knew exactly what she was doing. This whole time, she had been saying things in certain ways to bait a reaction from Minji. She knew Minji would be flustered.

Two can play the game, Minji wouldn’t back away this time, “Anything? Really?” Yoohyeon hummed in assurance, giving Minji consent for her wishes. “Then, how about a kiss?”

Yoohyeon leaned in before stopping just about an inch from Minji’s face and said, “With pleasure,” hushed enough to make Minji’s body shiver in excitement.

“I thought you’d be more…” Yoohyeon backed away a little bit, “…scandalous, with your request,”

“Yooh!” But she kissed Minji anyway, just like she wished Yoohyeon would.