Chapter XV: Hello

Dance Of The Shadows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Would you accompany me?"

 

Moonbyul stared at me silently, trying to penetrate my thoughts. I'm sure she tried. My body writhed to hold back the laughter I had hidden behind the coldness of my face as I looked at her in astonishment. Yes. I usually always do my grocery shopping alone and don't let anyone accompany me. Over those years, I enjoyed every second I had by having quality time with myself. With earphones plugging my ears, I walked down every aisle, every directory even though I probably wouldn't buy anything from there. I feel peace of mind in every second that I pass, and it is something simple, but too complicated for me to share.

 

"It's unsual. But I'd love to."
"If you—"
"It's a yes, Jung Wheein. A yes."
"Really?"
"Yes. Let's go."
"You're not afraid of the fans—"
"I'm wearing a mask. Beside, who will be in the supermarket in a cold night near to midnight like this?"
"Some ahjummas might be fans too."
"Yah Jung Wheein, be quiet, jebal?"

 

I laughed when she slapped my arm and walked out of the car. I hid both hands in my jacket pocket when I felt the cold weather that night penetrate into the car parking area. I pulled the trolley from a row and walked leisurely with Moonbyul who accompanied me for the first time. Ballad music accompanied our steps on that cold night. The songs played so beautifully, they kept me imprisoned in my empty mind for a while until I realized that my trolley was already filled with several items.

 

"It's fascinating how you remember all the brands I use. The instant coffee, noodles, and even the kimchi."
"It's not like we just met yesterday."

 

My heart felt warm when I stared at how beautiful Moonbyul, who was busy looking at several items on the spice rack by squinting her eyes several times. She was rambling on to herself, half-complaining about how I often forgot things and how she would always be the one complaining. I was stunned and felt so calm, obviously I haven't been this calm for a long time. This was clearly different from anything I had thought about, many times and even made Hyejin annoyed by my story. In the end, starting life again also means opening a door that has been tightly closed to someone else again. And I'm ready.

 

"I think we're done in this section."
"You have it all covered for me. It's almost like you can read my mind."

 

Moonbyul rolled her eyes and left. I followed from behind and smiled.

 

"What else do you need?"
"All good."
"You sure? We still have plenty of times to spend."
"Got everything covered, Byul." I held her hand when our eyes met and there, her warmth saved me. "Thank you for making it complete."
"Weird."
"What's weird?"
"Nope. I love to keep some of the things in my mind."
"Is it because you know I really bad at reading things?"
"No." She glanced at me. "It's just fun."

 

Moonbyul walked a little faster and left me a few steps behind. She stopped at the cereal shelf, where she again took a closer look at several brands there after picking up a box of her favorite cornflakes. She is someone who likes to open herself to new things, something that is the opposite of me. I smiled and carefully looked at her. She's the piece of art whose eyes couldn't stop staring at.

 

"Wheein. Why are you—"
"I love watching you silently. I do."
"And what exactly you like about it?"
"You're beautiful."

 

Moonbyul gasped a little and saw into my eyes deeper than ever. I knew, it's time.

 

"One thing to complete now." I said.
"Okay. Should we move somewhere?"
"That I said thank you for helping me make it all complete." I grabbed her hand and squeezed it softly. "Now will you complete me?"

 

Moonbyul almost dropped the cereal box in her grasp which I swiftly took. The moment was so beautiful that I felt like going home and writing it down in my notebook, composing it into a blooming love song. I laughed at my own thoughts and regained my composure, waiting for his answer. I put the cereal box in the trolley and gently her flushed cheek with my left hand.

 

"I've been wondering a lot."
"Of what, Byul?"
"If you ever feel the same way."
"I'm so bad at expressing."
"Clearly."

 

We laughed. My lips were so ready to crush her lips back when she pulled me into a kiss in that empty alley.

 

"Now come closer and don't let go." She whispered softly. "Cause you're mine."

 

 

 

 

"Have you phoned Hyejin?"

 

I snapped out of my reverie. For a moment, I imagined the moment when I decided to live a new whole story with Moonbyul about a year ago. I couldn't deny that what happened at the festival made me feel anxious and guilty towards my girlfriend, even though I obviously didn't tell her and I didn't think she noticed any strange behavior from me as well. Moonbyul's small, soft hands touched my hair and face as she sat beside me and checked on me.

 

"Baby, are you okay?"
"Yeah. I'm just tired."
"Are you experiencing jetlag?"
"Probably." I replied courtly. "Hyejin is busy, but she'd call later after dinner."
"It's totally okay if you stay at the hotel room today."
"Where are you going again today?"
"I'm going to visit one of contemporary museums here. It's owned by my French friend who really likes tteokbokki."
"The one who painted a bowl of tteokbokki."
"Yeah that one." Moonbyul chuckled. "His name is Antoine. Antoine Dumas."

 

I stood up to stretch my stiff muscle joints after giving my girlfriend a kiss on the lips. I did some stretching movements carefully while faintly listening to some of the plans that Moonbyul would carry out. Apart from the incident at the festival, I was feeling a little tired, but visiting a contemporary museum sounded like an idea I couldn't resist.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter