Three hours

Three hours

It's not the first time they've done this, but it's the first time Yongsun was the one who asked for it.

The manager looked at her with wide eyes for a moment, then quickly hid his surprise and started looking for the best option on his phone without a word more.

"Quick is better than perfect," Yongsun added, trying to sound casual but the exhaustion in her voice giving her away. "All we need is a place that's clean and decent, no need to compare options for the nicest one."

The manager nodded. "Two rooms?"

"Just one is fine."

"Of course."

 

.

 

Thirty minutes later, the door to their room clicked open with a beep. Yongsun and Byulyi both sighed at the sight of the bed, a little skimpy but enticing all the same.

Byulyi had just started changing into something more comfortable when the phone rang. Yongsun, who had just started taking off her rings and placing them on the nightstand, picked up.

"Hello?"

"Hello miss, I regret to disturb you, but there's been a problem with your check-in. There was a glitch with our system and we need to scan your IDs again. We kindly ask you to come down at your earliest convenience with all the guests' IDs so that we can complete the procedure."

"I see. Sure, I'll be right down."

 

Yongsun put the phone down and sighed. Wordlessly, she fished Byulyi's wallet out of her bag and found what she needed.

"I'll go," Byulyi said, already yawning. "You need to sleep, Ddun."

Yongsun's gaze became soft as she stared at Byulyi's bare feet and sleep clothes. "You already changed. Go to sleep. I'll be quick." She grabbed her own ID and disappeared before Byulyi could say another word.

 

.

 

Yongsun got back to their room later than she thought she would, realizing with a sigh that they only had about three hours before having to check out and get ready for the next schedule.

 

Three hours of sleep was better than nothing. But she still had to get changed, and actually fall asleep, and those things take time. She sighed with a frown, feeling the onset of a sleep-deprivation headache. This working-from-the-early-morning-into-the-late-night thing wasn't as easy as it used to be. 

 

She stepped into the room as quietly as she could. She could tell Byulyi was asleep before even seeing her. Yongsun hadn't expected or wanted her to wait up, and she knew Byulyi knew. Working together for as long as they had, Yongsun and Byulyi treated energy as a shared resource, much like anything else. When you are a team, and you are under pressure, you know that recharging your own batteries will benefit the other person too.

 

The room was silent except for Byulyi's regular breathing.

Yongsun looked around, and her frown turned into a smile.

 

Byulyi had opened her bag and laid out Yongsun's sleep clothes at the foot of the bed.

On her nightstand, she had placed a glass of water and a blister of headache pills, two capsules already popped out. A scrunchie was there too, next to a pack of make-up wipes. Yongsun's phone charger was plugged in, ready for her phone to be connected.

Finally, a quick note in Byulyi's handwriting on cheap motel paper - alarm already set. Love you, Ddun.

 

Yongsun traced the words with her finger, in a daze.

But she snapped out of it, not wanting to waste the time Byulyi had gifted her. Byulyi had meant for her to use it on this impromptu, much-needed nap, not to muse over how much she loved her. She could do that later. Or when promotions are over, she thought with a chuckle as she used each carefully laid out object as intended, and got ready for bed in no time.

 

Yongsun tried not to move the mattress too much as she settled down on it.

Byulyi's arm was stretched out on her side of the bed, waiting for Yongsun to use it as a pillow. 

Of course, Byulyi's final touch to ensure the efficiency and comfort of Yongsun's nap had been herself.

Yongsun settled into it, feeling Byulyi curl her arm reflexively around her, without even stirring.

Her eyes fluttered shut.

 

For two hours and fifty-three minutes, Yongsun slept.