through the night

through the night

 

 

here we goes, another day of jang wonyoung in the practice room; practically losing her mind also her will to move her body even for an inch. 

"wonyoung, you’re going too far from jiwon right now, move a bit to the center” 

there she is, the mighty leader of ive, ahn yujin, looking all serious as she commanded the one year old younger named jang wonyoung—who’s undoubtedly devastated due to her insanely packed schedule this week; also earlier today. still, being the people pleaser she is, the said wonyoung weakly nodded her head, proceed doing things as the leader commanded her to do so.

apparently she just arrived from her another commercial shoot a half and hour ago. not to mention, her packed schedule these days absolutely going her nuts. the certain person she only could rely on is a soft spoken human named kim rei, who’d always willing to stay by her side no matter how tired —and whiny—she was. 

honestly, her packed schedule wouldn’t be that bad if that was not including going overseas here and there through the days. she cannot even tell where she really is whenever she closed or opened her eyes. for example, she’s in paris on the morning but soon after—without even unpacking things or strolling arround for a bit— she’s already in the plane on midnight. ready to go only god knows where.

the worst—also a blessing, soon after she’s landed in korea, her another packed schedule already in line to get accompolished—as if she was on a race or something. 

at this point she’s afwully close to fainted anytime soon.

it was not like the members were rested well after all, currently preparing their comeback, the members barely could getting enough sleep throughout the days—which is quite concerned her; especially the youngest leeseo because she's still high schooler with lot of homework afterall.

even though she's concerned about how the members packed days, hers were insanely out of the league. the members could barely see her in the dorm until kim rei ‘forcefully’ get her into a good rest for a day, cancelled all her schedule and be small for a day. 

“jang wonyoung, what's wrong with you? you’re out of focus again" 

and here we goes, ahn yujin with the ‘jang wonyoung’ things again.

honestly, to wonyoung the ‘jang wonyoung’ thingy were the last straw she had on her ‘kinda’ relationship—whatever they had—with the mighty ahn yujin. she just despise it too much more than she realised.

“im sorry” that’s all wonyoung managed to say, trying to not get affected at how the ‘jang wonyoung’ out from the leaders mouth.

in another hand, kim rei who’d witnessed everything with her own eyes— also knowing something that jang wonyoung doesn’t—slowly approaching her favorite princess to hold the pair of her trembling hands.

oh god, she feels pathetic already.

“princess, are you okay?” rei with her worried face softly the trembling hands of her princess, making the said princess cracked a little smile. 

“it’s okay rei, im okay” 

i guess?

rei leading wonyoung to sit on the nearest couch, still rubbing her palms, trying to ease her trembling hands a little—which makes her wanna break down really bad in the latter's embrace.

right after, all she could heard was ahn yujin's deep sigh, frustatedly massaging her nose bridge while gaeul, who's standing just beside the leader, trying to talk with the—wonyoung assumed—raged leader.

the maknae kinda get uncomfortable seeing the tension between her two of most (secretly) favourite members, slowly making her way to the currently sitting wonyoung who’d still managing to wear her softest smile for the maknae.

"unnie, are you really okay?" leeseo, being the most misterious human being she is—she is 15 after all, her unnies sometimes cannot understand her and her world— innocently (also thankfully quiet) asking the jang wonyoung who’d in verge to breaking down anytime soon.

"im… okay hyunnie" wonyoung trying her best to reassuring the maknae, taking the maknae to sit down beside her. but, before leeseo could even respond, there’s another voice come from the leader.

"okay... we're dismissed for today. thank you for your hard work" ahn yujin, out of the blue dismissed the whole thing. the members just cheering each other up while saying 'you did a good work'.

not so long after, the leader excused herself with kim gaeul tailing behind.

wonyoung didnt even realised when those two growing close to each other; wonyoung trying hard to not noticing the way yujin looking at gaeul to get an advice—which is reasonable because gaeul is the oldest afterall— the way yujin will always managing to annoy gaeul throughout the days, the way yujin looking into gaeul soul—and gaeul maybe not even realised at how deep yujin's affections towards the older, but being the #1 who knows the ahn yujin better than anyone else, she just cannot seeing anything else but yujin’s love towards the older. 

the word love seems too strong to her own liking

and thinking about it makes her sick in the stomach

“let’s go then” 

wonyoung getting up from her seat, kinda startling the maknae beside her; but leeseo fast enough abruptly taking the older’s hands, making the owner of it’s hand having her eyes all over the youngest. 

"i- uh- rei unnie and jiwon unnie can go first, i want to eat cake with wonyoung unnie"

wonyoung, still confused, making eye contact with the maknae.

"huh?" 

the maknae making eye contact with the couplez duo; pleading just to let her doing "her things" with her favourite unnie.

rei; who's magically knows everything about how leeseo's mind works— they’re not called duo maknaez for nothing apparently—signalling the confused jiwon beside her to just get along with whatever leeseo's up to.

"let them go" 

liz, still confused as ever, staying still while rei taking over the conversation.

"oh, okay we'll see you at the dorm then" 

wonyoung taking rei's hands, stopping rei on her tracks

"rei, wait a minute... why so sudden though?" 

the said hyunnie trying her best to come up with something, something seems rational that makes wonyoung just buy whatever she’s up to—because as everyone know, jang wonyoung is not easy to fool. 

"oh, our leeseo want to eat cake ever since but as you know we're kinda packed these days and still couldn’t make it" rei paused a bit just to looking at the leeseo's eyes "i think this is a right time to go, right leeseo?"

leeseo abruptly (sadly, a little bit too fast) nodded at the rei words.

"we better going together then" wonyoung reasoned out, making the three silenced for a while.

not until the quickwitted maknae come up with another thing

"uh... jiwon unnie wanna have a date with rei unnie!" 

the said jiwon cannot hide her flushed cheeks with the maknae's 'excuse', on another side kim rei just go with the flow, nodded while smiling softly to the flustered liz.

wonyoung; even though deep down knows better that her members just making things up, still cannot stop smiling at rei's effect on jiwon, the soft spoken rei who'd get going with anything maknae’s up to and the maknae who'd trying her best to get a 'date' with her for only god knows why.

how could she said 'no' to all of this cute behavior?

"okay, let’s go then"

wonyoung averted her smile to the couplez

 

"and i need the details of your 'date' after, kim rei" 

 

 

"unnie, what do you want?" the cheerful leeseo cannot stop her little happy jump in front of the dessert case while wonyoung absolutely cannot stop smiling at the maknae cute behavior.

can she be more maknae than she already is?

"hmm... i think strawberry cream will do" 

"okay, have a seat ill get it for us!"  the maknae just left even before wonyoung could answer her. truly maknae behavior.

all wonyoung do is shaking her head, taking a seat beside the glass window—just like when yujin and her used to hanging out here after a long day of practicing on trainee days, also when they’re still with izone.

yujin usually eat her most favourite earl grey cake paired with a bitter iced americano meanwhile wonyoung just go with the basic strawberry fresh cream.

it was kinda routine for them

until it was not

ever since yujin being the leader, she noticed a big change in yujin's behavior, yujin's appearance and mostly yujin herself. its fascinating to see yujin all growing up but sometimes it feels like a torture because—she assumed—they’re growing more distant each day passed.

"wait a bit unnie, they'll get it here" leeseo, out of the blue taking a seat in front of curently zoning out wonyoung; startling the unnie in process.

"you scared me!"

wonyoung, softly slapping maknae's hand on the desk, the maknae just smile sheepishly to the older.

"unnie?" the maknae's voiced seriously all of sudden, making the older taken a back a little.

"hm?"

"are you okay?"

"why? im okay baby"

leeseo hold her unnie's hands tightly, cannot hide her worries all over but still managed to smile

"i mean, your schedule is kinda packed these days, i could barely see you in the dorm. i missed you so baaad" 

wonyoung laughing softly to the adorable maknae in front of her.

"i missed you too babyy" 

the maknae squeezed the older's hands lightly, still smiling

"i think yujin unnie would understand why you're kinda out of focus a couple times today" leeseo voiced out "don’t worry about it unnie" 

wonyoung smile flattened a bit, leeseo's hands to ease the anxious? the anger? just whatever she feel when the 'yujin’s mentioned; she just hate how yujin could affect her THIS bad.

"i dont know..." that's all wonyoung managed to say.

leeseo sensing the uneasiness in wonyoung's voice but still trying to smile brightly to the older.

"i know she will" the youngest trying to reasurring the older.

"i hope so" wonyoung let out a soft smile to the trying-not-looking worried leeseo.

"she's leader afterall. it's already a burdensome to take a responsibility for the group" she continued "and i don’t think i should make another mess to taken care of." 

the youngest looking all sympathic to the older's word, slightly caressing the olders palm in process.

"i don’t think yujin unnie will ever thought about that" 

"i don’t know, leeseo" wonyoung no longer cannot hide her sadness; she faced leeseo with a sad smile on her face

"as much as i want her to understand me it's better to not make her standing on my shoes." 

wonyoung paused a bit, taking her hand away from leeseo, heaving a deep sigh. there's a long silence until the maknae looking up to met the watery eyes of the beautiful unnie in front of her.

"wonyoung unnie..."

the said unnie, forcefully smiling to the-now-obviously-worried leeseo.

"they have our cakes" wonyoung pointing the waitress near them. the waitress smiling to the duos, placed their cakes on the table neatly. 

"thank you" leeseo cheerfully greeted the waitress, while wonyoung smiling at the younger antics but felt miserable upon seeing the cakes on the table.

it wasn’t earl grey and strawberry cream.

sure, having a new cake buddies will always great. but sometimes she cannot help to missing certain someone named ahn yujin by her side for no job related; like eating a sliced cakes in the caffe for example? or just spending their time doing nothing but breathing in the same room. 

god, nothing else but she just missed ahn yujin by her side.

"it’s pretty, isn’t it?" leeseo's bright eyes met wonyoung's watery one; the maknae trying hard to just let wonyoung be.

"yeah, let's dig—" wonyoung flustered at her own word choices, abruptly stopped just to see leeseo with eyes large open.

"unnie?" all wonyoung know is, leeseo's hand on her cheeks, wiping the wetness on her cheek.

"unnie..."

 

wonyoung barely could feel anything rather than a sudden sting on her guts, eyes wet with her own tears. while the youngest; being the most reliable maknae than anyone, hugging wonyoung tightly, lightly the older's hair, not forcing the older to met her eyes, whispering "its okay unnie, its okay" until wonyoung cannot feeling herself any longer.

 

 

 

"lets dig in!”

wonyoung cheerfully stated with her hands ready to digging her cakes; her favorite strawberry cream.

"heyy, i want to say 'dig in' too" yujin hold her hand in place, whining like a maknae to the real maknae in front of her. 

"just say it, silly" wonyoung let out her tongue, yujin puffing an air as the respond.

"you ungrateful maknae, i wouldn’t take you here ever again!" 

"heyyy ahn yujin!! okay, okay let’s do it together you childish" 

"what??"

"say no more, let’s?”

"dig in!!" 

with that, the couple cheerfully digging their own cakes, smiling widely at their own silliness.

"you should take me here everyday"

"everyday with all means whenever were stop dieting" 

"no, it’s whenever we want to" 

 

yujin smiled at the youngest words "okay, whenever we want it is"

 

 

"you're doing just great yujin"

yujin scoffed at the oldest word. 

"great? with insulting wonyoung in front all of you?" the leader cannot stop raging to the poor kim gaeul. gaeul let out a deep sigh.

"hey, it was not like im not upset at how you’ve handled the situation earlier but still ahn, i know much better that you didn’t mean any of it” kim gaeul paused a bit just to take a bit look of ahn yujin—who didnt bother to spare a glance to the oldest, gaeul taking a deep breath “and with all means, eventhough i said she might understand you, it doesn’t mean that ‘it doesn’t hurt her’” the older continued.

“but still, it’s better to acknowledged what youre feeling first than the other”

yujin silenced for a while.

“try to reconcile after you’re done with yourself, ahn” gaeul stepping ahead on to yujin’s. tapping the leader’s shoulder softly. 

“it wont lead you anywhere if you still cannot understand what’s going on with you, try to deal with yourself first and talk to her after” 

 

 

 

 

after a few attempts to sleep

sadly, wonyoung cannot even close her eyes

what happened today surely all over her mind; starting of the ahn yujin event, the yujin-gaeul, also the devastating one, the leeseo event.

being a burden, being flawed is the least thing she wanted to do for her team mates. it’s like, there's no use of jang wonyoung debuting first than anyone else on her team mates if she would end up to be another burden for her team, especially for certain person named ahn yujin. 

full of thoughts, wonyoung closed her eyes tightly, massaging her aching nose bridge, already giving up on her badly needed nap. 

her minds going elsewhere until she reached their dorms balcony, her current most favorite place, slowly shutting her eyes, feeling the night breeze on her bareface.

for once, her world paused at the moment. there’s only a young lady named jang wonyoung, currently in deep thoughts, eyes closed, wasted.

still, it was peaceful night at least until it was not. suddenly feeling a heavy weight on her shoulder, she found herself wrapped with a thick blanket arround her shoulders.

"it’s a little bit cold" said the owner of it’s voice softly.

it’s voice alone almost made the wonyoung fainted on the spot; suprised as ever, cannot stop herself to gawk her eyes out. 

"hey… you were acting as if im a ghost or something" 

the owner of it’s voice chuckles at wonyoung reaction, the said wonyoung composed herself out. 

"i just suprised to see you here, unnie" 

wonyoung going back on to her position, the only difference is right beside her, there's a certain someone who’d peacefully joining her, wrapped herself into the blanket, with a soft-endearing- smile on her face, named ahn yujin. 

"you should’ve sleep"

yujin breaking a peaceful silence between them. 

wonyoung, almost forgetting how to not smile at the moment. at this exact moment. 

honestly, it’s been way a long time since they casually standing beside each other, doing nothing but breathe on the same air, wrapped in one blanket together and speaking-kinda-casually in the middle of the night. 

and hate to mention, wonyoung missed this so badly.

“i’d like to say the same thing" wonyoung smiles but still cannot meet the leader's eyes.

the leader move extremely closer to the younger, not even leaving a tiny space for wonyoung to breath. not to say that clingy ahn yujin is another level of yujin; wonyoung truly down THAT bad for this. 

"its been a packed days, isn’t it?"

yujin, eyes still on the nightscape, softly asked the younger.

"it is" wonyoung peacefully answered the kinda looked nervous ahn yujin

"how's work?" yujin awkwardly asked, the younger chuckles a bit.

"suffocating, honestly. but, bet yours were terrifying" 

yujin chuckles on the younger's remarks

"honestly... yes. but, bet yours more terrifying" wonyoung smiling endearingly to the older

"are we competed in who’s have the most terrifying job or something right now?" 

"kind of" yujin answered lightly, slowly facing the younger.

wonyoung tighten her blanket, suddenly feeling colder than before. 

"are you tired, jjin?" being comfortable, wonyoung accidently let out the 'jjin' nickname, making the owner suprised a bit.

"honestly, yes" yujin paused only to looking the younger on her eyes

"how about you?" 

"might as well" wonyoung cracking a soft smile, eyes don’t want to met the most prettiest eyes she's ever seen—the ahn yujin's; still hating the fact that it caused her losing sanity.

"sometimes i want to have a decent life, just going to school, probably stressing about studying, about the universities or maybe thinking about hanging out with my bestfriend to the newest caffe in town" the younger stated peacefully 

"but, this is life ive choose for a long time ago" 

wonyoung taking a deep breath

"i should be grateful, aren’t i?"

she faced the older, who's listening attentively to her every each words. on another hand, yujin heaved a sigh. 

“im sorry” the older stated, eyes fixed on the younger’s. there’s a long pause before the older continued

"my life stopped at 15" yujin taking a deep breath

“and sometimes i don’t realised im already in the twenties when in fact im still stucked thinking about going to school, my friends, hanging out with them, even just having a small talk like this." yujin smiled sadly

"wonnie" yujin taking a deep breathe

"you probably don’t have any idea at how much i missed this moment; just me and you, talking about life and not something related to work. talking as if we're not ive, just a fool early twenties ahn yujin and jang wonyoung." yujin faced the younger completely, gazed never leaving the younger's.

“im sorry for everyhing i do earlier, i should know much better that we need a break from everything

wonyoung smiling a bit, still not expecting this kind of moment, especially with yujin. frankly, they’re never having this kind of conversation after all. all over this time it just ahn yujin making fun of the younger, so does the younger.

but tonight feels different,

"and suddenly im thinking of the ahn yujin you met for the first time in the practice room. just stupid teenager ahn yujin who'd wearing thick glasses, handed you a couple of jellies and getting you into trouble afterwards" yujin smiled at the thought, eyes turning back to the nightscapes.

"i don’t know what’s bring me into that moment again, but looking at how much you sacrifice everything just to becoming the jang wonyoung today makes my heart aching not in a good way" 

wonyoung frowned a bit

"and it was not because im jealous or something"

yujin calmly stated, her trembling hands reaching the younger's cold and little one.

"it just because i feel like im losing my dear friend, the little bunny named jang wonyoung" 

there's a long pause before the older's met the younger's eye.

"i miss you. wonnie"

wonyoung smiled at the ahn's words, eyes glistening with her own tears. 

"i miss you too, jjin. you fool"

the younger stated between a chuckles and sob, making the older's panic.

"why you’re crying" yujin, ive #2 crybaby not so long after joining the tears party.

"im touched, you fool unnie"

"stop cryingg"

"im trying to" wonyoung chuckles between a sob.

yujin not having a single thought before leaned in to bring the younger into her embrace.

"im sorry and thank you for everything."

wonyoung closed her eyes, tears flowing down to her cheeks. 

 

 

"theres no need, im sorry also thank you, jjinie"

 

 

 

 

“let's?” wonyoung teased the older, hand already occupied with dessert fork.

silly” yujin shyly grabbing her fork, right just in front of her earl grey cake. in another hand, wonyoung pouted. 

“i’ll finished the line by myself if you do not want to” 

yujin chuckles at the younger’s reaction, yujin trying to get the younger’s attention by the younger’s palm.

“im not saying i don’t want to” 

wonyoung chuckles

“so, lets?”

“dig in!!” 

 

 

 

 

 

—fin—

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

a/n

 

hello, this is li

another one shot that i do not really know what to do with it but here we goes.

 hope you all enjoying this as much as i do, thank you.