Prologue: Genie in Action

Be My Pet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


 

THE whole restaurant cheered at the arrival of their favourite senior. Bae Joohyun made her way to the end of semester party while giving high-fives to everyone that’s waiting for her. A junior came and guided her to the seat in the middle that was specially allotted to her. 

More juniors came and helped her in removing her coat and securing her bag. A cup of mixed soju and beer was already served to her.

“We’re really glad that you made it, Joohyun-unnie!” One of her juniors said before placing grilled meat on her plate. “We were actually already thinking of going to your workplace to beg your boss to let you out early.”

Joohyun wasn’t able to finish her glass in one shot after bursting out into laughter because of that ridiculous idea of her junior. “You better be kidding me!”

“We are not kidding!” Another junior said. “We actually prepared banners earlier!”

“What?” Joohyun asked in disbelief.

“They are not kidding.” Their department representative suddenly entered the scene, giving Joohyun’s table grilled shrimps from their table. “The kids were gnashing their teeth while waiting for you to pop out of that door. I am really glad that you finally came and we can all have fun in peace. For a moment I was afraid that they would do something embarrassing.”

“What’s embarrassing with that, Oppa!?” One junior said while sobbing. “Joohyun-unnie will be taking a break! We won’t be able to graduate with her!”

With her current financial situation, Joohyun decided to take another rest from school and focus on work. Being an orphan with no other immediate family reachable, Joohyun had to work for herself. She had a little bit of support from the government until she graduated from highschool. After that, every financial responsibility fell into her hands. 

It was indeed hard since highschool was free but university wasn't. She had to earn her tuition and everything. She might have gotten help from scholarships but it’s still hard doing it all alone. She has to pay for her rent, phone bills, electric, water and gas bills. She had to buy books and spend money on school projects. 

Everything is being carried on her shoulders. 

With that, just like what she did after she finished her first year in university, Joohyun would be taking another break to earn more money to be able to continue her education. She has one more academic year left anyway. Just a bit more and she would be able to get her diploma.

The last year would be full of on the job training and thesis writing. At the very least, she should have some sort of allowance when it comes to money because she’s sure there might be days that she won’t be able to work part time.

“Oh, my babies! You’re sad that Unnie won’t be graduating with you?” Joohyun opened her arms and her juniors rushed to hug her. The girl couldn’t help but to laugh at their cuteness.

“We’re really, really sad but we can’t help it! We need to support you with this!” 

“We’re also really disappointed that you won’t be in our graduation photo album! You’re like the goddess of our department!”

Joohyun gave her juniors ruffles in their heads. “Just think that the goddess will be back in the heavens to take a rest. I will make sure to go to your graduation so make sure that you’re all going to graduate, okay? Don’t you all dare waste your parents’ money and fail!”

“Can’t we just wait for you, Unnie?” 

“No!” Joohyun answered quickly before smiling widely again. She grabbed a bottle of soju and glasses were already put in front of her. She just chuckled and poured drinks to her juniors. Their department representative even received alcohol from her. “We all have our own time schedule. I may be a bit slow but I will also be there so don’t worry a lot about Unnie. Just do your best in your own time~”

The party went on with all the students enjoying the end of another semester and the start of vacation. It might be a little bit sad for Joohyun but she enjoyed the party nevertheless. Her juniors paid for her share, thanking her for all the help that she had given them for the two years that she was with them. 

A little more later, cheers filled the restaurant again when another popular figure arrived. Some students even stood from their seats to have a clearer look of the one who just came. 

“Oh? Kang Seulgi!” One of Joohyun’s juniors exclaimed. “Oh my! She really came!”

“The girl who never participated in parties like this?” Another one said while shaking her head. “I guess she just came to say goodbye.”

“Goodbye?” Joohyun repeated while munching some grilled meat. “What do you mean?”

“Haven’t you heard, Unnie? Kang Seulgi is also taking a break from school.”

“She’s also taking a break?” Joohyun took another look at the girl in an expensive leather jacket before turning back to her juniors. “What? Why? I believe she can afford all of the expenses though?”

The juniors chuckled at how cute their Unnie looked with her stuffed cheek. 

“She just wanted to take a break. I heard she will be going around the world.”

“Around the world? I thought she decided to live in Jeju for a year then come back?”

“Was that Jeju? I heard it was Busan…”

Joohyun swallowed whatever was in . “Is there no one of you that’s close with her? Why is everyone confused?”

“Unnie, you know Kang Seulgi. She rarely even talked in class.”

“That’s right. There were a lot of times that she was caught sleeping though.”

“Yeah, she sleeps in class but still aces all of her exams. I don’t know if she’s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter