[IV] The North Wing

KINGDOM OF ASTERIA: Here, where my loyalty lies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The eerie silence of the infirmary envelops Winter's whole being, she was there alone with Ryujin and Yunjin, as the others left them - perhaps, to give her time to understand the situation but it made her feel that they do not, cannot, help her at all. Questions started to swirl in her mind, suffocating her and making her feel useless as she could never find an answer without the magicaes. She could feel the stare of her two friends, waiting for her to talk - giving her enough space.

She could never be much thankful to them, as when Winter failed to function earlier with the sudden revelation, they took the liberty to help her.

"I think it would be best to leave us three alone for now," Ryujin said as she bowed respectfully to the high magicaes, especially to the queen. "She'll need space."

Aeri stepped forward, attempting to help Winter when Yunjin looked at her as if telling her to stop, "It's fine, we got her." She said and held Winter's arms, whispering to her asking her if she can stand up.

"Let us help you, we need to kno - "

"Head councilor," Ryujin cuts Ning off with a small smile, "we appreciate the concern but I think what you did was enough."

"We can take it from here." Yunjin said.

No one ever dared to speak to the heads of the kingdom in that manner ever, and so it came to a surprise to hear it from someone - from nulla magias, nonetheless. And if Ning was surprised, she managed to hide it quite well.

"Then we shall excuse ourselves," It was the queen that spoke, her tone neutral as her eyes stayed on the figure still sitting on the floor. "Please do let us know if any help is needed, and it shall be attended to immediately." She said and bowed slightly before walking away, the other three staying there for a moment before following the queen out.

Winter now quietly sitting on the bed, the unmade sheets glaring at her, she wondered then if she cleaned her room when she left, if she managed to change the sheets of her own bed. But would that even matter now? She's there, in a world that's far from her own, with no idea how to get back, or if she will ever go back home.

"Win, we can maybe look for other ways," Yunjin said and sat beside her, her hand laying softly on Winter's back, "I'm sure we can - "

"How exactly?" Winter asked back, her tone void of any emotion, "they already said it. It's out of their control."

Ryujin frowns, the words quite not sitting well with her as it only brought confusion, and perhaps it was obvious on her face as Yunjin looked at her curiously. "Don't you think it's quite unusual for them to say that?"

"To say what? That they can't bring me back home? It's quite pathetic, to be honest." Winter said as she clenched her jaw, frustrated as she thought about the exchange earlier. She saw her friends wincing at her words, after all, she's talking about the monarchy of their world.

"That, and their words, they said it was out of their control," Ryujin said carefully, waiting for the two to understand what she's trying to imply but she only sighed when she was only met by curious stares, "Then if it's out of their control, then whose control it could be?"

Yunjin's eyes slowly widened as if she understood Ryujin's words, nodding her head in agreement, "Now that you've said that, and the fact that you're here. Is that an accident, planned? If so, why you?"

"I think we should start there, know why you're here," Ryujin said and clicked her tongue, thinking on how they could know more, "We need to change our approach as it isn't as easy as we thought it to be."

Winter smiled at the two girls with her, "We?" she asked with a shake in her voice, as if she couldn't believe that Ryujin and Yunjin are still willing to help her despite risking their lives a night before.

Ryujin lets out a short laugh, sitting beside Winter and nudged her playfully, "You don't expect us to just leave you here, no?"

"You don't have anyone here," Yunjin said and smiled at Winter warmly, the one that she only does whenever she finds something heartwarming, "but you can count on us to be by your side."

Winter couldn't utter a word, as she feels it would never be enough to express how grateful she is to the two of them. They have always tried to ease her loneliness the moment she got there, even before they knew what really happened to Winter, it was like Ryujin and Yunjin saw right through her facade. And right now, they never failed to make her see a little bit better about what happened. "I, you don't know how much I'm thankful for you two."

The three of them started to mentally list down what they could do, the questions that could lead them to the answer that they need. Winter appreciates how Ryujin and Yunjin continued on suggesting cities that may have answers, even willing to travel to those cities. In exchange, Winter told everything that has happened to her before waking up in Asteria, now revealing the fact that she has seen a sculpture of their current queen of Asteria.

"Sorry, what?" Yunjin blinks, surprise etched on her face as was slightly open as if looking for the right words, "There was a sculpture of Queen Karina in your world?"

Winter nodded.

"And it's known as The Mad Queen?" Ryujin asked again which Winter nodded to, "And you told this just now, why?"

Winter sighed and answered truthfully, it's not something that she wanted to conceal, after all she was just being careful. She still couldn't trust anyone that time, afraid as she felt that everyday, her life was on the line. "You did mention a Mad Queen last time, I had an idea it was the same one that I saw in my world but I couldn't just mention it because she is still your queen."

The two nodded their heads in understanding, "Honestly, we're much more surprised that a sculpture of her is in your world, we thought that there was no connection in any of our worlds."

"Yeah, the Mad Queen is her title after all." Yunjin whispered, shrugging her shoulders slightly.

"It's in an exhibit that I just went to, and I met Ning there as an old woman." She shared and was staring at Yunjin, her interest was piqued with the latter's words, "What do you mean that Mad Queen is her title?"

Winter saw how the two exchanged worried glances, the hesitation evident on their faces as if they did not know how they could answer her question. For them to say that the current queen is called the Mad Queen, there must be history in there, and so, Winter shared another thing. "The sculpture, it was not painted with anything except for red, specifically on her hands and dress as if to show it as blood." she said carefully, observing the way the two avoided her eyes.

No one answered her, and Winter's curiosity is slowly turning into fear as there was obviously a history that she's not aware of. A history that must have been so traumatic that even her two friends coud not give her a straight answer. But if she is to stay there in a world that was not of her own, she'd rather have this piece of information be known to her - especially if it concerns the monarchy that basically runs the whole world of Asteria.

"Are you going to tell me?" She prodded with a tilt of her head.

Yunjin clears , sitting up as she looks around as if there are any other people there, "I don't know how to tell this but it's kind of obvious that the current queen is quite young, right?" she said and nudged Ryujin who sighed.

"We're not sure but it was a sudden event, it may be a rumor or not but we've heard that - "

Then the huge door opened revealing Chaewon and Minju, entering the infirmary and walking towards them in a manner that seems to be in command. "Good evening, I hope everything is quite to your comfort?" Chaewon asked and bowed, watching as the three of them nodded.

The head mistress nodded as well, "Minju, can you please give them their potion?"

Winter watched Minju approaching them with three vials, all with the same color. She saw how Ryujin and Yunjin took the vial without looking directly at the two magicaes, while Winter managed to look directly at the head nurse who was giving her a warm smile.

"The potion may be a bit sour for your taste, but no potion will work if we change it." Minju explained, "please drink up."

Winter opened the vial, seeing that it was a light green liquid, she looked at her two friends who had the same expression as hers, "What is this for exactly?" she asked.

"For the wounds, to ensure that it has been healed completely," Minju softly said and tilted her head at Winter, "I promise it won't be something bad, please drink up to take advantage of its effect."

Winter sighed as she silently grumbled, she may have felt like a child at that moment but she knew she needed it. She may have hated that world, but she would take advantage if it meant that she would survive. The three of them nodded their heads, taking a deep breath before drinking the vial in one gulp.

Sour was an understatement for its taste. Winter felt like she drank a newborn's vomit as her face contorted, the feeling of puking spreading throughout her body as she shook her head to compose herself. "Do you have water?" she gasped.

Chaewon rolled her eyes, and with a slight glow of her eyes and a lift of a finger, three glasses of water appeared on the table. The three of them did not have any time to be speechless on what happened as they quickly drank the water to remove the taste of the potion in their mouths. A chuckle was heard from Minju, who simply waved her hand and the vials vanished from the three girls' hands.

"Are we good to go now?" Winter asked, putting the glass down, "can we get out of here now?"

Winter saw the way Minju quickly looked at Chaewon, making her look at the latter curiously as well.

"You may want to have dinner first," Chaewon said calmly.

Winter frowns but nodded her head, "Okay," she checked Ryujin and Yunjin who nodded their heads as well, after all, this may be the first time that they'll have a proper meal in days. "Where is it?"

For the first time, Winter saw the way Chaewon, the head mistress of the Kingdom, hesitated.

"In the dining hall," Chaewon said shortly, pursing her lips before continuing, "the queen has requested your presence to join her for dinner."

Winter felt like something bad would happen, she quickly looked at Ryujin and Yunjin, the three of them having the same sentiments - but Winter was still blind person in this world, but she knows that the queen is the Mad Queen, why? That's something she has yet to know, and that very same queen has requested their presence.

Suddenly, her eyes flashed inside Winter's mind, the way it glowed slightly of purple and yet what has always caught her attention is the gold specks swirling around it. The way it would look at anyone, no hint of emotion - as if she's looking at something not worth her attention, and yet Winter felt being seen, as if her darkest and deepest desire was written in her face.

If there's one thing that she knows, and perhaps no difference in the way her own world works - when your presence is requested by the people of high status, it must be followed through with no questions.

That's how Winter and her friends found themselves walking out of the infirmary for the first time, seeing the long hall that has been adorned with such pieces that must have cost millions. But Winter doesn't have time to be mesmerized by everything, as she feels her heart drumming quickly and loudly, not knowing what to expect.

One thing running in her mind, what does the Mad Queen want with her?

 

**

 

The dining hall was as grand as Winter expected from the castle, a large window to the side, overlooking what seems to be a huge garden, with huge curtains properly hanging. The walls are painted in muted colors, as if a watercolor was used, all blending and pleasing to the eyes, everything seems to be changing as she walks, just like the ceiling in the infirmary. The large paintings of probably the previous royals, all hung up on the wall, and it would have been like the paintings in the Harry Potter movies, moving and alive, but the difference is that these paintings did not talk or even move, but there was an illusion to it the longer she stares - as if the glow in their eyes never left.

The high ceiling of the room was adorned with a huge chandelier, a long table - huge enough to probably cater to at least 20 people was in the middle. Winter could bet that it was made of hardwood, the ones that would have cost thousands in her world, the chairs were almost the same, except for the one at the very far end. The biggest one in the room, and as expected, the door to the other side of the hall opened to reveal Karina, almost everyone curtsied and bowed as she entered.

Minju and Chaewon curtsied for a second, along with Ryujin and Yunjin. Winter just followed with a bow, not quite used to the curtsy that they always do. She glanced at the huge window, the garden being lit up and she saw some objects flying, frowning at it curiously as she took a small step to get a closer look.

"Those are faes."

Minju said quietly, surprising Winter as she quickly looked in front of the latter who only turned her head slightly at her with a smile. "Oh, okay." she answered and was about to ask another question when the door opened once more, now followed by Aeri and Ning.

Then that's when Winter noticed the presence of other people in there, they were dressed similarly, bowing to the three. There was something different about them, she glanced at Minju and Chaewon then to the people in the hall standing just against the wall. The two girls beside her were quiet the whole time, and she wanted to nudge them to get their attention when Karina called their attention.

"I think this is everyone," Karina said with a stoic face and nodded her head. Just like that, the people started to walk, pulling Karina's chair for her, as well as Ning and Aeri's. They did it as well for Winter, Ryujin, and Yunjin.

That's how Winter got a closer look on them, realizing that they are not the same as Minju and Chaewon. There was no glow in their eyes, all normal and bland - human. Nulla magia.

Winter frowns at this, checking each and everyone that was serving them. She couldn't be mistaken, for the days she has stayed there, she couldn't deny that there was a stark difference from magicaes and nulla magias. The former exuding dominance and confidence from the way they walk, just the air in them just screams pride and high status. As for nulla magias, they just blend in - as simple as a human.

Just then she saw Minju and Chaewon leaving the hall, and it perplexed her, making her turn her body to them and calling them out before she could even stop herself.

"Hey."

Everyone looked at her, Ryujin and Yunjin on curiosity and worry, Ning and Aeri tilting their head, and lastly, Karina, who simply raised an eyebrow at her. "Is there something you would like to ask them?" the latter asked.

"Aren't they going to join us?" Winter voiced out, glancing and seeing that Minju and Chaewon looked at her in surprise.

Karina took a moment before she nodded her head, "They can join us," she said and gestured to the two vacant seats. Minju and Chaewon quickly nodded their heads, and the nulla magias obediently attended to them.

In a second, food started to be brought to the table - fortunately for Winter, their food was much the same in her world. She just doesn't know if it would taste the same or its name, but what matters is that she and her friends can properly eat, even for tonight. She glanced at her two friends who were already salivating at the sight - Winter could bet that their stomachs are already growling.

The nulla magias then started putting food on her plate which confused for a bit, and she couldn't take it anymore, reaching out to her own fork and stopping the girl that was tending to her. This seemed to surprise the latter but Winter managed to smile reassuringly, "I can do it, you can take your break."

The girl could only blink but nodded her head. Winter saw the girl, expecting her to leave the room only to see her stand against the wall again. Facing the hall, as if waiting for something. She saw the others doing the same and she clenched her jaw, her face troubled at what she was seeing and thinking.

"Hey, you okay?" Ryujin whispered, noticing the way Winter was clenching her fist.

"Are they going to stand there," she asked quietly, subtly nodding her head to the servants - the nulla magias. That much she understood, "they're nulla magias, if you didn't notice."

Ryujin looked at them which caught the attention of Aeri, who followed their gaze. "Is there any problem?"

Winter wanted to scoff, it's the way everyone - except for her and her friends, started with their meal, without any problem. As if it wasn't obvious enough. "Are they just going to stand there?" she asked back, her question directed to Karina who slowly stopped cutting some kind of meat.

"They are there to help us when needed." She answered as a matter of fact.

Winter sighed, straightening herself as she looked at everyone, four pairs of eyes staring at her. "I don't think we need much help," she said and returned her look at Karina, "we're perfectly capable of feeding ourselves."

It was like everyone was holding their breath, waiting for the queen's answer or reaction while Winter's stare never wavered even for a split second. If there was one thing she hated, it is how social status and titles have managed to control the world - and it seems like Asteria is no different at all.

"Then they are dismissed," Karina said and waved her hand.

"And their food?" Winter suddenly asked, a pinch on her thigh making her glanced at Ryujin who was looking at her with wide eyes, as if she's telling Winter to stop. She simply brushed it off and turned to Karina, "This is a large f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter