# 3 (Innkeeper)

Innkeeper
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"Welcome! What would you like today?"

Donghae's suddenly all butterflies. Here he is again.

"Um..."

He gets the menu. His eyes fly all over. Not seeing much. Reading much.

Donghae came two days ago. Four days ago. Both times... Hyukjae wasn't here. Someone named Sungmin greeted him. A chipper lady named Lily. Through them... Donghae learned his name.

Hyukjae. This is an inn. He's the innkeeper.

"I'm not sure if you've been told, but you can actually ask for whatever you like, even if it's not on the menu. We can make it, if we have what we need. If not today, then next time."

Oh, why does he feel red? Why's his heart beating so fast? Why isn't his mouth working?

Donghae ends up nodding. Smiling. He points randomly. Hyukjae leans over. Blinks. Donghae looks down, too. It's a blank space.

Why's there a blank space?

"You do have a special request for something?" Hyukjae says.

Donghae feels redder. He shakes his head. Grabs his phone now. His previous note is there. He shows it to him.

"Oh, same as last time?" Hyukjae says. "Sure thing. It'll be around fifteen minutes."

Donghae nods again. Gulps. Watches him leave. Slumps in the chair.

What the hell?

 

 

Donghae had wanted to come again. Often. He couldn't. It just felt like...

He shouldn't.

This man's face stayed ever present. In his mind. The warm gaze. The radiant smile. The flash of endearing pink gums. He'd seemed a friendly person. From that first encounter. Someone kind. Patient.

So Donghae did end up coming. The past two times.

Only to be slightly disappointed.

"Hyukjae was doing a night shift, so he's getting some sleep!"

That was Lily. She wore a nametag.

"Are you open twenty-four-seven?"

"Of course!"

Donghae had nodded. Smiled. Given his order.

His voice is usually fine. In the morning. It diminishes by noon. If he uses it. So he lets it rest. For a few hours. Then he's good for a while.

But that first time....

And now....

He never gets to say much. To this... Hyukjae. He knows his voice is fine. It's just..

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter