Misfit

No More Stupid Love
Please log in to read the full chapter

Friday, Haechan was too lazy to attend school after what happened but there’s nothing better to do so he still dragged his demotivated body to the premises.

Throughout the day, he’s in low spirits, Mark’s cruelty still fresh from his mind. He’s still watching the said boy from afar but he’s not following him everywhere he goes, afraid that he’d notice and humiliate him again.

Mark wasn’t like this when they were together. Before, he was like a breath of fresh air, different than the harsh world Haechan grew up with. Mark Lee who’s always smiling and patient, he wonders what caused him to change.

“Lee Haechan.” From staring outside the window, he almost jolted up from surprise with his professor’s call.

Professor Kim Taeyeon was considered a terror and she’s the last teacher a student would want to piss off. The woman crossed her arms and stared down at him.

“M-Miss Kim.”

“You seemed too absorbed with your thoughts. My class is over yet you’re still sitting there.”

True to her words, the boy roamed his eyes around and there was really no other students left!

“This just proves that you aren’t listening to the lecture.”

“S-Sorry Miss Kim.” He quickly rose up and bowed to apologize. “P-Please excuse me. I need to go to my next class with Professor Park.”

Professor Kim remains quiet as she watches the boy scurries away from the room.

“Meet me at my office after class.” Was her additional remark just when he was about to open the door. He quickly turns to her, eyes were confused. “You haven’t passed your research paper yet, Mr. Lee.” She shook a head. “Now, off you go. We’ll talk after class.”

--

Mark relaxes on the bleachers by the turf field, knowing that no kid will bother him today. Although he can still feel the younger’s eyes everywhere he goes. That oddball’s watching him from afar and it sends shiver down his spine.

“Your 4 o’clock, on the third floor building.” Jeno notified and Mark immediately complied. He lifted his gaze and saw the kid staring at their direction. He quickly hides when he noticed Mark had caught him.

“He has classes, why is he watching you from afar?”

Mark shrugs. “Haechan is in a scholarship and he’s not a slacker. His professor must be late. I bet it’s Mr. Park.”

To his annoyance, Jeno eyed him suggestively because of his answer.

“Don’t look at me like that.”

“He’s not a slacker. His professor must be late.” Instead of backing off Jeno taunts by imitating him. “You know him so well.”

“What’s so shocking?” They were once the closest in the whole wide world, it’s more surprising if he doesn’t know a single thing about the kid when they were ex-boyfriends.

“I’m beginning to wonder why you broke up with him.”

Mark just rolled his eyes, not wanting to answer. He has friends; parents; family; a big set of acquaintances – a social circle.

“We aren’t in high school anymore. The world is big Jeno, there are many things to consider, it doesn’t revolve around me and Haechan.”

“But for him, it does.”

He was taken aback for a while. Yeah, for Haechan, the world does revolves only for the two of them. He was the center of the younger’s universe. But being in that position is a burden.

“It shouldn’t be like that. My parents are eager on finding a suitable match for me. Tomorrow in the party, they’ll introduce me to a new girl.”

“And if you won’t be interested in this new girl?”

Mark huffed. “That’s easy, they’ll match me with someone else, until I become interested… Until I get to meet the right one.”

“Oh, that’s cute.” But Mark could hear the sarcasm in his friend’s voice. “But what if the right one is right there?!”

Jeno pointed at the building where Haechan was, why is he to stubborn?

“How many times should I tell you that we’re over?” Mark literally sounded as if he’s soooo done. “He’s just—He’s no longer in my world, Jeno. I can’t—I don’t love him anymore.”

“And how do you plan on sending him away?”

There was a long sigh as he fell into deep thinking.

“Maybe I should just throw him a beehive.” He was randomly reminded how Haechan was afraid of bees above all things.

“Huh?”

“To make him stay away.” He shook a head, unaware of the smile that crept up his face. “Haechan hates bees.”

“I’m on the same page.”

Mark just nodded. Jeno hates bees as well, something about vacation and his little brother.

--

After class, Haechan showed up in Miss Kim’s Faculty room, he was sweating under the professor’s scrutinizing gaze.

“Do I need to remind you that you’re in a scholarship and one failed subject is all it takes to lose it? Many kids wanted to attend this school but annually, only one kid kid is lucky enough to be granted scholarship. Do not waste that chance Mr. Lee.”

Haechan’s eyes remained darted on the floor.

“I will give you one last chance. I expect that research paper be submitted by tomorrow… with a minus point of course.”

“Th-Thank you Miss Kim.” He bowed. “I will do my best.”

“Okay, you can go now. And don’t you dare show face in my class without submitting what are needed.”

Haechan bowed once again before leaving the faculty room with a flushed face. He just got scolded by their terror professor.

Since he’s still in first year, the research paper is only until chapter three. There’s no experiment or oral defense that’ll happen, just a few papers to submit. Yet, he wasn’t able to finish it in time as he was feeling demotivated.

Not just that, he was also busy with both Ahjumma’s business and his school activities. Haechan is only human, and humans get tired, more so when he can’t see the point of whatever he’s doing.

Why does he need to try his best anyway? He isn’t interested in achievements and goals, he hasn’t got anyone to share the joys of life with anyway. No one loves him. No one cares for him. The only reason why he holds onto with life is because of the flickering hope that Mark would take him back; and because ahjumma needs him.

Haechan feels like the most vital part of his existence is knowing that he’s needed. When he’s needed, he feels like he has to survive. But no one needs him in school. Maybe he should just leave the college and focus on helping the old woman?

“Aiya, Lee Haechan. Just try your best.” He muttered to himself. “Try your best and everything’s gonna fall into their respective places.” He sighed and pouted. It was what he often tells himself… Because it was what Mark used to tell him.

Try your best Haechannie, you may not see the fruits of what you do today but someday, everything will fall into their place and you’ll be happy that you didn’t give up.

--

“Prepare yourself, young man, we’d go to the Kang mansion tomorrow. I want you to look presentable.”

Jeno pouts and lifted his gaze from the Nintendo Switch he was playing. His mom just barged in from the house and th

Please log in to read the full chapter