19: Cake? Take? Jake?!

By Your Side: Adventures in I-LAND
Please log in to read the full chapter

Three things:

 

Cake

The next morning: our dorm room was as quiet as it should be. And then I go to our living room and blast out the song BOOMBAYAH by BlackPink and dance around like a crazy kid, as if I was already in concert.

Then, as always, the girls wake up and join in with me. And there we are, dancing to K-Pop in pajamas.

But right at the end of the song, there was loud banging at our door. I had a feeling it was Jake, grumpy by the fact we were blasting K-Pop music at six in the morning and didn’t let them get their beauty rest. And although it was already November, we didn’t feel like Autumn. More like Summer.

I opened the door and there was Jake, crossing his arms and his face all scrunched up like an angry puppy over his “non-stop” hiccups. At least that’s what I think he was trying to replicate.

“It’s six in the morning!” he scolded, pretty much unwillingly, “And you’re right here blasting BlackPink in a private area!”

“Is that bad?”

“You’d wake up the neighbors!!”

“Okay, okay! Alright! We’ll stop dancing and singing drunkenly just to make you happy!”

We then went to our meeting room in HYBE Building a little after breakfast, only to be told that we were having our very first debut photo shoot in Jeju-do, close to the famed Jeju Island. I heard that their beaches were so beautiful there, so I felt that it would be a good trip this week. But then I remembered…that Jake’s birthday was next week! And mine was in the following week! Luckily, it was only planned for tomorrow. We were staying only two nights.

When we went to BTS’s practice room (without letting the boys know), there was a cake that was just for Galway Londoners and another one for AO3. However, it got me thinking. I was watching a TikTok about a compilation of idols dropping their cakes constantly, and sometimes without reason. I was asking myself: Why is this? And then I realized that a lot of times, mostly female idols, are doing this on purpose for dietary reasons. If I had a birthday cake just for me, I would eat it all up. Not purposely drop it just for social media views or just because they want us on a so-called “strict” diet. There are laws about that, I hope you know.

I thought of making a video message, just to say how grateful we are to be given gifts that actually have meaning to something for every one of us. And no, I am not going to say that ENHYPEN was jealous of us for being spoiled by the company…and not them. Because they actually were.

I didn’t think about it much. I thought of it as a way for them to get their way. But of course, we are girls. And in my opinion, I feel as if we were treated better…just because we were foreigners.

After making our video message, we didn’t even try to “purposely” drop our cake. If it was an accident, then we make it like it was an accident. I don’t know how agencies make it seem so real, even though it’s fake, however, they should know that we will find out the real reason for things we see and hear about today.

Jake banged at our door.

“Jake?” I asked, opening the door.

“Y/N,” he said, stuttering, “There’s something that I’ve been waiting to tell you.”

“And that is…”

Jake stood still, frozen. He looked as though he was going to confess something. I believed that he was going to say that he was jealous that we were spoiled with the nicest things and that they were only getting the small stuff. But I got a totally different answer.

“The truth is…I really like you.”

 

.

.

.

 

Take

We were on our way to Gimpo Airport, where our flight to Jeju-do was going to airline us. Since we couldn’t take our Tour Bus, we had to go in separate vehicles. There were vans that seat six people, including, of course, the driver.

But me, on the other hand, I had to sit with Jake, Jay, Jungwon, and Ni-Ki. I was seated next to Jake, of course, my best friend. However, the moment we started driving, they drifted off to dreamland. And I stayed wide awake.

At that time, I was calling Holly, my best friend from the girl groups.

“I swear!” I said over the phone, “The moment we started driving, they all dozed off! It’s so weird!”

And Jake gently tugged my hair. I looked over and he flashed his annoyed puppy eyes. But he looked more like he was interrupted by his sleep. So I’ll say that he was being more of a kitten, rather than being a puppy.

“Y/N,” he said, possibly in the most adorable way in K-Pop history, “Can you lower your phone call down? I’m trying to sleep.”

I then turned back to the phone to finish my phone call. When I hung up, I looked down at the sleepy Jake. I held him in my arms. Although he was a bit heavy, both of us sitting down and buckled up actually helped. I nuzzled my face on the top of his head and gave it a tiny smooch. But a very tiny one.

 

.

.

.

 

An hour later, and we were already in Jeju-do, ready to shoot for our very first album. But we haven’t made a song yet. Of course, we are going to make a special appearance for some of them…I hope.

Our first album shoot with the boys, I thought, This is so nerve-wracking! I never got to do anything like this. Of course, since I wasn’t an idol back then.

Please log in to read the full chapter