If happy ever afters did exist

Payphone

'The number you dialed is not available ple--' He sighed the nth time before shutting the telephone. He took his coin purse from his pocket, taking all of the coins left in it before dialing the familiar number that he has been dialing for almost a day already.

Sunggyu wasted his day trying to call Minjee. It's been almost an hour since he went inside the payphone just to give her a call. And the machine says the same thing.

He sighed. "Please, pick up. Please." he whispered to the phone, hoping that she'd pick up, hoping she'd hear him out.

'The number you dialed is not available ple--' he put the phone back before looking down.

It's been two weeks since they last meet up. He noticed that she has been distant to him after that day.

They were happy, they're best friends and they just fool around together, not caring about what people thinks about them.

She's the one who usually approach him first. Calling him good morning or good night, calling him when she's bored so she has someone to talk to, coming over to his house and cook food for him, lots of things that in the view of someone's eye, it was obvious the she cares about him. But he didn't notice it.

Until she told him something and he unknowingly hurt her feelings. That's when she started distancing himself. They started falling apart. She stopped her calls and her visits.

Then he woke up one day, realizing that they've gone to the point that they're back to being strangers.

He misses her. So much.

'I'm at a payphone trying to call home
All of my change, I spent on you
Where have the times gone?
Baby, it's all wrong, where are the plans we made for two?

Yeah, I know it's hard to remember
The people we used to be
It's even harder to picture
That you're not here next to me
You say it's too late to make it
But is it too late to try?
And in that time that you wasted
All of our bridges burnt down'

*5 weeks ago*

It was a good day so Sunggyu and Minjee decided to hang around the park, eating ice cream while sitting at the bench.

She looked up and sighed before she said something out of the blue.

"Oppa, I like you." She blushed. Butterflies in her stomach and cold sweats in her fore head.

Sunggyu looked at her and smiled.

"I like you too, you're the best best friend out there!" He ruffled her hair while she whined.

'Best Friends? Did I just got rejected?'

"It's not like that!" She slapped his arms playfully before going back to blushing and playing with her fingers.

He looked at her, confused. It's the first time that she has acted like this. He noticed.

"Uh..." he trailed off.

"D-do you want to be m-my b-boyfriend?" She stuttered, her cheeks in.

He was shocked, he didn't expect her to confess. He's not even sure about his feelings for her.

"Uhm...I don't know, Minjee-ah. I mean, we're be--"

'Yeah, I did.'

"Ani. It's okay, I just wanted to let my feelings out." She forced out her smile, preventing her tears to fall down.

"Ah. It's such a good day!" She looked up and closed her eyes, pretending that she's okay when she's already on the verge of crying.

Sunggyu didn't utter a word and just sat there. The atmosphere was quiet.

Minjee looked at her watch and stood up almost immediately.

"Ah, I just remembered that my parents are coming over tonight! I need to get ready. I'll get going now Sunggyu-ssi!" She bowed at him.

Before he could even ask her if she wants to walk with him, she ran without him. He then, noticed the way she addressed him before leaving. 'Sunggyu-ssi?' 

That's when he realized that it's not gonna be the same anymore.

And he was right.

----------

He looked up, the sky doesn't really look good. But he wants to talk to her after realizing that he also feels the same way. He just couldn't live without her. He loves her.

So he decided to go to her house to tell her everything. To have her back in his side.

It has been five minutes since Sunggyu arrived in front of her house. The sun was already gone. But he's just standing there. Deciding if he should knock or he should just leave. But he eventually decided to give it a shot.

He walked at her front door and knocked. "Minjee-ah..." he called out her name while knocking.

one knocks...two knocks...three knocks...

He kept on knocking until his hands felt numb and his knuckles turned red. But no one answered.

He took a peek at the window, to see if there's anyone inside.

It was quiet, and dark, the lights were off. No one's home.

'I've wasted my nights
You turned out the lights
Now I'm paralyzed
Still stuck in the time when we called it love
But even the sun sets in paradise'

 

He let out a long sigh before turning his back. His stomach grumbled, he didn't eat the whole day because he was too busy occupying himself with his feelings.

He checked his wallet if he had any money left and he found $10. "What kind of food could you buy with ten dollars?" he frowned.

Then he remembered Minjee.

'There's this restaurant that I like, it's cheap and has yummy foods in it! It's my favorite! I'm always there when I'm bored. Oppa, let's go there!'

He chuckled, remembering her. But his smile soon faded, realizing that they're still not in good terms yet.

The sky grumbled and soon, raindrops are coming in contact with Sunggyu's skin. But he didn't care. His instincs are telling him to go there. He didn't know why but he just kept on walking. He didn't care if his leg hurts, he wanted to go there. He needs to.

By the time he got there, the rain got harder and Sunggyu was soaking wet. But he didn't care.

The smell of delicious lingers around the place and it was mouth watering. He was about to go inside until something- no, someone caught his sight.

There goes Minjee, sitting on the chair inside the restaurant, beside the window. 'My favorite spot!' He remembered her again when they ate there.

She's smiling, laughing, enjoying her food. The complete opposite of his state.

Oh how he misses those smile. He misses being the reason of her smiles too. He misses making her smile or laugh or just simply being beside her.

His heart broke after seeing the reason behind her smiles right now.

A guy, sitting across her. His hand sitting on top of her's while talking and eating comfortably with her. Both their eyes sparkle as they look at each other.

They look so happy.

Sunggyu was just stood there, watching them from outside and letting him self get soaked in the rain. Other people might think he looked pathetic right now but he doesn't care. He just kept on watching while his heart kept on breaking into pieces.

The guy leaned closer to Minjee and pecked her lips, cleaning the whipped cream that trailed on her lips. Minjee sat there in shock but soon smiled and slapped him playfully before going back to eating and talking happily with him.

Sunggyu, who witnessed everything with his two eyes, felt like someone stepped on his already crushed heart a hundred times.

Someone bumped on him accidentally, interrupting his thoughts and making him come back to his senses. He turned his back to the couple and walked away. The rain poured harder while Sunggyu kept on walking away. Away from that restaurant.

"Eating? Screw that, I'd rather starve my self than to let myself die from heart break." He said to himself quietly, scoffing.

"Ah, the weather knows how I feel." He looked up and closed his eyes, letting the water drop on his face. His tears mixing with the raindrops so it wouldn't be obvious to the people around him.

He kept on walking with heavy steps, not caring where his feet is bringing him. The speaker that blasts 'Love U Like U' Ioudly maked him roll his eyes in disgust.

He found himself stopping at the park where him and Minjee first met. It was empty, dark and quiet. The sound of rain hitting the ground is the only thing that you could hear.

He sat at the wet bench and scoffed to himself. If he has the chance to turn back the time, he'd go to that day and re-do everything. "Ts. Sunggyu love made you look really stupid." He laughed bitterly before sighing really loud and long.

He kept crying quietly in the rain. Sitting there, alone and broken.

'If happy ever afters did exist
I would still be holding you like this
And all those fairytales are full of
One more ing love song, I'll be sick'


❝Because when you’re in love, you give out your heart to the point you become stupid.❞ - Infinite's Nam Woohyun


(Author's Corner)

/sobs/ I finally finished it after writing the similar thing last night. I still hate the backspace button. :|

hehe~ The guy who cream kissed You is Woohyun XDD that's why Sunggyu was broken XD (WooGyu~ ;A;)

hehe jokes. you can think of any other guy who cream kissed you.

anyway, so this fic is inspired by so many songs. 

1.Payphone- Obviously. that's the whole point.
2.눈물만 (Only Tears)- you need to see it's translation to understand why this was inspired to the song.
3.추격자 (The Chaser)- you know the rain scene? Gyu's just walking there like he doesn't care. yeah. that.
4. 너 때문에 (Because of You)- Kahi's rap line 'Why am I hurting alone?/왜 이렇게 나 혼자 아파?' that one.
5. 좋은 날 (Good Day)- '눈물이 차올라서 고갤 들어 흐르지 못하게 또 살짝 웃어/My eyes fill with tears, so I lift my head up I smile a little so they won’t fall' I wrote it somewhere when she got rejected, she looked up and closed her eyes
.6.Amazing- The part where Sungyeol/Sungjong goes '어째 저째 남이 된거야?/How did we become strangers?' yeah.

there's probably lots more but I forgot.

But anyway, thank you for reading and don't forget to comment ^^

Have a good day/ night. :D