Chapter 2: The Flame

Le Cirque des Reves

 

An hour later, the crowd outside Ukwon's tent began to fade. Dusk was close and the circus had to go on with or without Ukwon. The healer himself exited the tent a few minutes after, looking extremely tired. He didn't answer any questions but walked briskly away to his tent, clutching his black medical bag. 
 
Minhyuk closed his eyes and opened them, finding himself sitting on the plush chair in Ukwon's tent. He stood up abruptly, ignoring his father's disapproving scowl. He swept Ukwon's wet bangs away from the latter's pale face. The kid seemed to be in pain, his breathing was labored and he was slightly, despite being unconscious.  
 
"You really should not be here, Minhyuk. The circus is about to commence. You should be getting ready," his father said coldly. 
 
"What happened to him? Is he going to be ok?" Minhyuk asked frantically as Ukwon whimpered. 
 
His father's disapproving frown deepened. "The boy will live, but that should not be your concern," his father muttered coldly. 
 
"How could you say that?" Minhyuk raised his voice, drawing himself up to his fullest height. "Ukwon is my friend and family, more than you would ever be!"
 
His father scoffed as he rolled down the sleeves of his shirt, attaching the cuff links smoothly. "You forget, Minhyuk, that the fate of this circus rests in your hands."
 
Minhyuk stayed silent, fuming. His father snarled distastefully, "It is unnatural-"
 
"Get out."
 
His father narrowed his eyes at his dishonoured son. "I do not wish to repeat myself, father. Get. Out."
 
"Fine," his father said curtly and in the next second, the tent was nothing but black and smoke. 
 
Anger burned throughout Minhyuk. How dare he, he fumed. The walls of the tent began to turn a fiery red, the temperature rising a few degrees before Ukwon moaned again. Minhyuk took a deep breath, the walls morphing back to their onyx decor, the tent chilling slightly.
 
Minhyuk tucked the blanket tighter around Ukwon and leaned his forehead against the younger's sweaty one. "I'm sorry," he whispered.
 
And then Ukwon was left to sweat his fever out alone.