Waiting

Waiting

He sat at the edge of his bed, playing with the ends of the lapels of his suit, taking in a deep breath.


Nervously, he brought his hands together and started wringing them, intertwining his fingers, one hand’s gripping the fingers of the other, then letting go and grabbing them again. He looked up, then to the left, anticipating, but seeing nothing. He fidgeted in his seat, his heart pounding so hard he swore he could hear each and every beat. Butterflies appeared and fluttered in his stomach, a warm tension crept up his chest travelling all the way up to the base of his throat. He took a long deep breath, willing himself to stay calm, willing those jitters to go away. Slowly, he let out the breath, feeling just that slight little bit of tension going away with it. Yet, he was still far too anxious.

Sick of his restlessness, he got up and began pacing the length of the room, each hand buried in the pockets of his suit jacket, opening and closing it. Every few steps, he would look towards the door, hoping, only to be disappointed again. He sighed. He was perplexed as to why he was feeling this way. It was not as though he had never seen her in a long time. It was not as though he was not certain of her feelings for him. It was not as though she was going to do something drastic. All she was going to do was to wear a dress, even if, said dress would be the most important she would wear in her lifetime.

Then, a click captured his attention as he whirled around, quick as lighting, his heart soaring and he waited, expectantly. The door opened and a tuft of white material peeked through, and unknowingly, he held his breath. The door opened more, revealing her in the finest gown ever.

“Oppa!”

As she smiled, the brightest, enamouring smile that he’d ever seen, he gaped, lost for words.



He folded his legs and rested his head against his bed post, waiting for her. Twiddling his thumbs, he pouted slightly, periodically looking up at a wooden door, expecting her to come out any time soon. He bit the bottom of his lip and let out a puff when he didn’t see her, checking his watch frequently to make sure that they were not going to be late. He frowned a little, impatient.

Then a single click sliced through the silence and immediately, he looked up. A flash of purple and a dainty foot peeked through the gap and he smiled as he got up and starting making his way to her.
The door opened wider, revealing her full self, clothed in a purple silk gown, fitted perfectly and only for her. His heart skipped a beat, just like that time so many years ago, as he took in her beautiful self, her, who had since aged but still remained equally charming.

“Yeobo,” she smiled, that same smile from long ago but now with lines that bore evidence of their journey together.

“Shall we go?” He asked as he offered her a hand. She nodded, her eyes twinkling in happiness, and took his hand. As her smaller hand slipped into his larger one, fitting perfectly, he tucked her elbow under his. Together, they walked towards the door to the ballroom.

With a hand on the doorknob, he brushed his lips against her fingers that were intertwined with his and looked at her, the same way he did in the past.

“Happy 25th anniversary darling,” he whispered, his eyes full of love.

She looked back at him, replying without a word, a reply he revelled in and understood, as he turned the knob and opened the door.