The Hybrid

One Heart

FLASHBACK

Year 1524

Kris cannot sleep that night thinking about the girl he meet at the ball that night. 

“She was the same girl. I know it!” Kris was smiling.

[One Morning]

The girls were giggling as they walked by the river bank plucking flowers and wild berries. Amber was 

satisfied with her findings that day. 

“Vic, I want to find some wild mushroom! Do you want to join?” Amber shouted.

“No! You take care of yourself in the forest, OK? We’ll meet here after an hour!” replied Vic.

Amber nodded. With a basket full of flowers and berries, She walked into the forest. She always went 

into the forest alone so, she was not afraid even though she was alone. It was like walking in a 

beautiful scene in poster and movies she saw in the cinema. Amber started to fantasy of she becoming the heroin in a romantic love story. 

As she walked toward a big tall tree where big and wild enable mushroom always grow, she tripped 

with one of the tree trunks. That was what she thought at first when she realized that it was actually a human leg. 

Amber screamed as she saw a man, bleeding. Kris was awake when he heard the scream. 

“Hey girl. I am not dead yet. But, I feel like dying already. This wound is killing me!!” Kris groaned as he tried to stand up.

“ No! Stop straining your leg. Let it rest. I thought you was a corpse. Sorry…” Amber knelt before Kris. She patted her chest in relieved.

“What have happen to you? You are bleeding out too much blood!” Amber tried to touched the 

wounded area when Kris reacted in pain.

“I was traveling from my village when an arrow hit me. I have pulled out the arrow but I lost a lot of

 blood and fainted. Today could be my second day here.” Kris coughed painfully. His face was pale. 

Then, loud growling sound came out from his stomach, asked for refill. Kris and Amber’s eyes widen 

and both laughed.

“First, eat up. You are so lucky I had some wild berries.” 

“Yeah! Too lucky. I thought I could have been dead by now if nobody found me. Here, a coin. Token of honor. I’ve made it myself.” Kris gave her a small golden handmade token. 

“Well, thanks. It’s pretty beautiful for a man like you to made it himself.” Amber muttered to herself as she observed she observed the coin.

Kris heard, “And that should be a compliment, I guessed?

”Of course it is!” Amber smiled awkwardly. She was caught!

“ And, ouch! That wound looks pretty serious. Let me helped you. I know it will be hard but can you try to walk?” Amber asked in worries.

“There’s no other way, I guessed. Where do you want to take me?” Kris tried to get up with Amber’s 

help.

“There’s a stream near here. I want to clean your wound first before I put ointment.” 

30 minutes of small operation performed by Amber had opened Kris heart to know the girl in front of 

him. As Amber busy cleaning the wound, Kris canvassed the girl in front of him. Perfect! Amber was a 

very pretty girl with a light skin tone, curved nose, oval face and pouted red lips. Her eyes captured his attention the most. The amber pupil shone beautifully and sometimes when Amber flicked her eyes,

 the long and black lashes from each side hit each other. Perfect!   

“There. All perfect! Safe and sound.” Amber laugh, satisfied with her work.

“I feel much better now. Thanks to you.”

“Welcome. Do you want me to send you home? Where do you live?” Amber asked politely. She did not want to left a sick people all by themselves.

“It is alright but instead, can you accompany me just a little bit more. Just until my pain eased away.” Kris begged Amber.

“Maybe, I can wait for just a little bit.” Amber took a seat beside Kris.

They chatted for a while when Amber fallen asleep on Kris shoulder. 

Kris sighed, “We are from two different world. How is my love is ever going to reach out your heart. As if we can ever be together.”

When Amber woke up, she discovered, she was already at home. Henry said he found her sleeping at 

the couch in front of the house.

[End of POV]

Kris opened his eyes. It was wet. 

“I was crying?” Kris thought. He now convinced how much He missed Amber, until he dreamed of the 

first time he met her. He wiped his face several times, sighing. Amber!

Henry sighed in relieved as he spotted Amber, under the apple tree at their house. 

“Amber? What’s wrong?” Henry asked as he saw the dying expression on Amber’s face.

“He knows I’m here. And now, he came to get me!” Amber eyes widen in fear. 

“What?! When?” Henry was surprised with that statement. He is one person that should not be taking lightly.

Amber stared right through Henry’s face. “Now, should we find father and ask him about our situation?”.

“What situation?” Henry asked, pretended that he did not know about the whole family thing.

“What? Um, I mean, Kris knows I’m here. So, shouldn’t it be a big enough problem for him to help us?” Amber stuttered. Henry does not know about the letters she found. If he knows, he might get hurt. 

That was what she thought. 

“No worry sister. He can’t do anything to you now.” 

“What do you mean? Why not?” Amber asked.

“I mean, he can’t do anything to you if I’m here. I’ll protect you, sister.” Henry smiled.

“As if. I think, I would be the one who need to protect you” Amber scoffed.

“You’re stronger Amber. I know he cannot do anything to a HYBRID like you.” He muttered to himself 

as he walk away. And now, I understand why father let me be the prey…

 

#Hybrid- Term use describing a creature of species with both vampire and werewolf genes.