훈련 (Training)

Like My Heart

 

Suwha’s face bashed upon the ground. She had tried to stop herself from falling, stretching out her hands. Now her skin was scraped. Sudden pain went through her. Suwha tried to stand but her body collapsed under her. She turned her head on the ground facing a pair of boots. Jonghung had stopped right in front of her. As she tried to speak, some gravels got into . “I’m sorry, master.” She didn’t even want to look up. He was surely very disappointed in her.

This was the third time she had failed the training. Suwha felt her body aching from all the blows she had taken in. “Stand up.” Her master said deeply. Quickly she gathered all her strengths to lift up her body. She kept her eyes down, because she felt too ashamed of her failure. She wondered if she would get another chance at all. No one who had failed that often would still become a skilful fighter. Suwha didn’t know why she always lost. Her fighting techniques were still fresh, yes, but she was a quick learner. She had managed to pass all the training phases. But now that she had to face the other trainees. She just couldn’t concentrate. Master Jonghung had always looked after her and he had never given up on her. But today he seemed rather disappointed. His arms were folded behind his back and his face was as unreadable as ever. She could scarcely imagine what he was thinking now. “Suwha, come with me.” he said deeply. This couldn’t mean anything good. She looked at her opponent, he was laughing carelessly. Anger filled up her body. She cleaned herself from the dirt, wiping over her clothes. Then after hesitation she limped after him.

After she had followed him inside the temple, he suddenly stopped and turned around. Before he could say anything she tried to explain her actions. “I’m sorry master. I know I should have done better. It’s just…” he lifted an eyebrow. “Your nightmares?”

Suwha’s eyes widened. How could he possibly know that? She hadn’t told anyone about them. It was quite embarrassing. No one at her age had trouble sleeping. But how, how did her master find out? “I’m sorry?” she asked completely taken aback. Slowly he answered “I know Suwha. Sometimes at night I walk through the sleeping dorms to watch over you. Then I would hear you scream in fright.” She lowered her head. Now he had to be really disappointed in her. “Don’t be sad. It’s nothing to be ashamed of. I will help you if I can.” Her face brightened. She had always wanted to tell her master, but it had been very hard for her to face her fears. Now she felt like it was the right moment to tell him. They sat down in a corner at the back. Master Jonghung dimmed the lights and crossed his legs. Then he simply said “Tell me about them.” Suwha didn’t know where to begin. Her dreams seemed blurred at day, but when she was sleeping it felt too real. She concentrated trying to remember. “It’s the same dream every night. I’m standing at an abyss facing a deep gorge. No matter how hard I try I can never stop myself from falling. I fall into utter darkness. No light. No warmth. Then sudden blows strike me hard. My body collapses and I fall to the ground. I can’t see who attacks me. I can neither make out any shapes nor faces. All I see is..” her voice cracked. A sudden shiver went down her back. “Go on.” He said coolly. “All I see is red eyes staring at me from afar.” Suwha sank her head into her hands sobbing softly. Telling her master those things made her experience the dream once more.

For a while it was silent. Suwha looked up. Her master had closed his eyes. He was probably thinking about what she had said. Then, it felt like hours, he opened his eyes again and began to speak with a calm voice. “It is not unusual to experience our greatest fears subconsciously. Dreams show us what we need to overcome to gain full strength. But your dream..” She looked at him eagerly. What? What was wrong with her dream? Suwha had always been afraid of the dark. The master had always looked after her when she had been very young, telling her comforting things. But those dark shadows. Those scary red eyes. She couldn’t explain them. Never before had she gone through such frightening moments. Jonghung went on “Your dream could mean something of great importance. The legends tell us that some warriors have the power to see things that have not yet come to pass.” She gasped. “You mean, this will happen to me someday?” Her hands, which she had placed on her lap, became sweaty. “Perhaps.” He answered eyeing her closely. Suwha’s heart stopped for a second. “We cannot know for sure.”

Those had been comforting words, she thought. She began to regret this talk. She could have happily lived on without this piece of information. Now she knew that one day, she would die in the cruellest way she could have ever imagined. Great…

Surprisingly she woke up the next day without having dreamt anything atall. She sighed in relief. Maybe the talking had been helpful after all. She got up and went outside. Master Jonghung had given her another chance to prove her skills. Thankfully she had bowed in front of him. As she reached the court, her new opponent was already waiting. She stopped in front of him and they both bowed. Master Jonghung was standing not far away. He would always watch the training separated from the others. “Get ready.” He said with a deep voice. Suwha stretched her muscles. The early morning sun was shining warmly on her face. She felt ready to fight, to prove them she could also win. It was a slight tickle in her tummy that gave her hope. Then after the master had given his signal, Suwha made a swipe at her opponent. She hit him hard in the chest, but he immediately responded, pushing her hand down. He lifted his right leg to kick her, but she blocked his attack. Everyone was watching closely and no one was speaking. In the corner of her eye she saw master Jonghung folding his arms in front of his chest. He looked indifferent. She had to prove him that she had improved. After the boy had punched her arm, she gathered all her strength and swung her leg up. With much effort she kicked him directly in the stomach. He gasped and landed on the ground with a thud. Suwha was prepared if he would stand up again, but he didn’t. He rolled over on the ground grabbing his stomach in pain.

She had fallen as well because of the impact. Slowly she raised in front of her opponent, who was now motionlessly lying face down on the ground. She felt very relieved and proud at the same time. The first thing she could think of was the reaction of her master. She turned towards him. The master stepped out onto the fighting place, she quickly stood up straight and bowed. Master Jonghung was looking at her without an expression. She couldn’t make out what he was thinking. Yet she thought that he had to be satisfied. It had been her best fight ever since she had started her training. For a short time everyone became silent. Master Jonghung was still eyeing her mercilessly. 

Then he said clearly “You’re ready.”

 


I hope you enjoyed reading this chapter. I know, it's not really exciting yet. It's more of an introduction. I will do my best to post the next chapters as soon as possible! :) Cheers!