산산조각 (Shattered)

Like My Heart

 

It was the last night.

Suwha thought she had fallen into one of her nightmares. The world seemed dark and there was no light to guide her. The cold air pierced her skin. She couldn’t believe what was going on. How could it come to this? She had always felt save in the temple. Her master had been like a father to her and the children had been her friends. It seemed like another life. She couldn’t remember being happy. After they had left their haven, she had felt the warmth of safety slowly fading away. Youngjae and her hadn’t got along but he had always protected her.

She looked down at his pale face. He couldn’t help her now. No one was there in the darkness. Suwha was completely alone.

Hope was gone.

She was dragging him over the rough ground. Almost all her strengths were gone, when she spotted it. Her eyes wandered up the path ahead. It was winding up the little hill. On top she could see the red lights of the front gate, glistening brightly in the darkness. She sighed. “Youngjae, we’re almost there.” She looked down at him. His eyes were closed, but she could still hear him breathing. The cold air made it even harder to carry him. All the wounds she had got during practises were nothing compared to the pain she felt now. Her hands were rubbing sorely against his clothes as she tried to pull him further. After she had gone a few more steps, she stopped.

He had gasped in pain and had opened his eyes. He tried to speak. Even though it was only a slight whisper, she could make out his words. “I..I can’t..go any further..” He looked up to her. His eyes looked sad and tired. “No. No, we’re almost there.” she said looking towards the light at the end of the path. “No..Suwha..no.” he managed to say. Tears welled up in her eyes and she sank to the ground, unable to go any further. Slowly she placed Youngjae’s head on her lap. “I’m so sorry.” she cried. “It’s okay..it’s okay..just..just hold me.” he whispered taking her hand with much strain. She could feel him slipping out of her arms. Roughly she pulled him up against her body.

Then he looked at her. “Suwha..” she bit her lip. “Yes?” she answered quietly. “I..I am so sorry for everything I have put you through. I feel so bad for what I did. I don’t know what I was thinking. I should never have left you.” A tear escaped her eyes. “I..I honestly feel like the happiest person..to have met you and..” Suwha widened her eyes and started crying. “Are you saying goodbye?” she gasped. “No..no goodbyes..not tonight. I just..” he stopped unable to breath. He coughed grabbing his wound. Suwha tightened her grip. “Youngjae.” Then he continued. “I want to thank you.” “For what?” she sobbed. A small smile appeared on his face, even though it was just a little twitch. “Everything. I never knew how it felt like to have a friend. We were friends, right?” Suwha sobbed. “We still are.” Youngjae smiled softly. “The time I’ve spent with you..has been the happiest of my life and..” He closed his eyes in pain. “Youngjae.” she said devastated.

Then he slowly put his hand inside his jacket and held up the red dagger. “I want you to take this.” She pushed his hand down along with the dagger. “I..I can’t. I won’t.” He freed his hand saying “Please, Suwha. Bring it to our master. Tell him..tell him we made it.” Tears poured down his face. She had never seen him so vulnerable. She hesitated, but then she carefully took the dagger. Youngjae softly took her hand. “Suwha..” she looked back at him. They looked at each other for a moment. Then Youngjae closed his eyes. A sudden silence pierced her ears. Youngjae’s hand dropped on the ground and his light faded away.

Suwha let go of the dagger. In shock she watched the silver blade shatter on the ground. Sharp pieces scattered around her. She lifted her head and stared at Youngjae's motionless body.

“No..” her voiced pierced the silence and echoed in the darkness. The cold air choked as she screamed his name. “Please..Jae..no..god no.” She turned towards the lights. “Somebody help!..I..I need help…please..” Her voice died away. She sank her head on his cold body, covering her face in his chest. Her hands rested on the ground with the sharp splinters, carving stinging slashes into her skin. “I’m so sorry. I’m so sorry I couldn’t save you.” She sobbed softly.

Suwha could feel slight drops on her back. It started raining. She looked up. Her tears were washed away by the rain, leaving her soaking wet. She lowered her head down again on his cold body and tried to forget everything that had happened. Only now she wished it was one of her nightmares, but it felt too real. The rain made her shiver and she could feel the warmth slowly escaping her body. It felt so real. So real, that she could sense the dark abyss behind them, the deep gorge ready to devour her. The wounds drove piercing pain through her body. Her trembling hands rested on his cold white skin.

The pain slowly faded away and everything turned numb. She couldn’t feel anything. Her ears stopped listening to the rain sound. stopped breathing in the cold air. And her eyes slowly turned dark. She collapsed over him.

The rain kept pouring down...