00. prologue

Chrysalis

 

Living things fascinated her; mammals, fishes, bugs… people. It was fascinating how things so small could suddenly grow up so quick, so strong. If she had to choose, caterpillars were her favourites. The way they prepared themselves every day, going into hiding to turn into a graceful butterfly; it was almost inspiring.
 

She sat beside the glass tank and propped her arm up on the table. She watched the caterpillars crawl around the enclosed space, eating all the vegetation they found. They were cute. A boy kneeled down next to her and took a glance at her focused eyes.
 

“You remind me of a caterpillar,” he said, chuckling a bit.
 

The girl jumped in surprise and snorted, suddenly recognizing the voice. “How so?”
 

“Just because,” he replied, joining in on the bug watch.
 

The truth was he knew why she was reminded him of a caterpillar. It was hard not to make the comparison. It was almost sad.
 

He wanted her to become a butterfly. He wanted her to turn into a beautiful butterfly that she could be proud of; a strong butterfly that he could leave without worrying about. But, inside him, he knew that she was more than capable of doing so. He believed that she could become a butterfly. He had faith.
 

--
 

“Aeri,” the boy smiled, letting out a deep sigh. “You know how you like caterpillars, right? And how you sort of agreed with me that one time?”
 

The girl nodded slowly as a frown spread across her face. She knew this day would come, but why so soon? She didn’t understand how any deity could take him from her. How could someone take her only friend away from her so easily?
 

“What about them?” she muttered with a low voice. She tried her best to keep her voice stable. She was afraid if it cracked, she’d start crying. Despite her last image of him being a sickly boy in a hospital bed, her crying self couldn't be the last image he had of her before he left. It wouldn’t be right.
 

The boy smiled sweetly and pointed at the table beside him. “See that table? Look underneath the lamp, and you’ll find something.”
 

Aeri hesitantly lifted the lamp, and slid whatever was underneath, out into the open. It was a small silver butterfly necklace, shining brightly under the lights. The wings looked almost real. It felt cold on her skin. “What’s this?” Aeri mumbled, holding it in front of the boy’s face.
 

The boy sat propped himself up, leaning his back against the bed frame. He lightly patted the side of his bed and motioned her to sit as Aeri complied. “A butterfly,” he replied cheekily.
 

Even then, he still had the nerve to be sarcastic during a situation like this. Aeri scoffed and lightly pushed his shoulder. “I know that, but why?” she asked, twirling the chain around her fingertips.
 

The boy laughed and untangled the necklace and placed it in the palm of her hand, slowly cupping it closed. “It’s because someday, you won’t remind me of a caterpillar anymore. You’ll be a strong, beautiful butterfly people can look up to,” he answered confidently.
 

“I—”
 

“I’m not finished. For now, while you still acknowledge your caterpillar-like self, I want you to never forget that you will eventually become a better person; things will change. If you keep this with you, it will remind you what I can’t personally.”
 

The tears eventually fell, but she couldn’t tell if it was out of sadness or thanks. Because honestly speaking, she couldn’t feel anymore thankful to him than she already did.
 

“Anyways, in the next life, I’ll reincarnate into a little puppy for you. But, you’ll have to promise now, Miss Lee Aeri,” the boy said, holding out his pinky. “Do you know what you’re promising?”
 

Aeri laughed and nodded, wiping her eyes dry. “To become somebody you can be proud of?”
 

“Not quite, but let’s go with that,” he grinned.
 

“In that case, I promise, Mister Kris Wu,” Aeri mused, linking fingers with him.
 

Kris wanted her to grow up beautifully, but more than that, he wanted her to become somebody who didn’t keep to herself all the time. He wanted her to become somebody who wouldn’t be so alone… somebody who didn’t have to endure everything by herself. She needed to understand that.
 

So, for now, she just had to figure out how to do that.
 

She just had to figure out that she needed to do that, in order to become a butterfly.