A New Path

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 75 A New Path

 

Yuri was lying down on his bed. He was alone as Ainosuke did not return from Ryosuke’s chamber. That kid probably decided to be with his parents, he thought. He sighed. There was another matter he had to think about: Umika’s confession several days ago.

“I think I’ve fallen in love with you, Yuri.”

He could not form an immediate respond, but after a time eventually he came to his senses. “If it’s a joke, it’s not funny, Umika.”

Her gaze was soft but at the same time unyielding, “I’m not joking.”

Another silence stretched between them. They held each other gaze before he eventually turned his gaze away.

“Umika… I…”

“You don’t feel the same, I know. You just told me that you never thought about having family. Don’t feel obligated to return my sentiment. I just want to let it out. You know, lately I was distracted because I wondered about how you will react if I confess. Now that I have known the answer… I think I’ll be able to be back as myself,” she smiled at him. “Thank you for listening to me, Yuri. I’m off first.”

She jumped down the roof and dashed in while he could only stare at her retreating figure.

How could she leave just like that? Shouldn’t she wait until he gave her his answer? Well, but what he would answer back then? Rejecting her, of course. But would it make her sad? Or she did not want to hear it so she ran? But she kept her promise. She had been back to herself after that. But why he should be bothered then?

Women are so complicated!

**********

In the grandness of royal chamber, in the heart of Seiryoku Royal Palace, maids were busy helping the young king Kamiki Ryunosuke to dress for travelling while the butlers and soldiers prepared the mounts and logistic to be brought in the trip. Golden threads sewed on the royal cloak of the king glittered under the bright light of the room which came from the crystal lamps hanged on the ceiling. Some maids came in bringing trays of food and drink for the king’s dinner. Golden plates and goblets soon were arranged on the table while the king finished dressing.

Placing his sword on the table in his reach, Ryunosuke beckoned one of his guards to do his bid. The guard left the chamber and returned not long after, walking behind another regal figure of a prince came into his chamber.

“You really won’t reconsider it, Ryuu?” the new presence sat down across him once he invited him to. “Why do you not wait until morning?”

He took a spoon after his meal was served, “The sooner the better, Onii-san.”

“You don’t have to go by yourself. How if you send me instead?”

“We have ever talked about it. And my decision is not to be questioned,” he replied. “Let’s eat.”

His older brother, Prince Shinsuke , did not argue further and followed him to eat. He knew their conversation had not ended yet, but he knew his brother would not oppose him in front of their minions.

Under his eyelashes, he observed his brother, one of the reasons he returned to this kingdom. Prince Shinsuke was ten years older than him, and was the first born of King Kamiki Arata and Queen Omiya Misaki, sharing the same blood and flesh with him. His brother should be the crown prince instead of him, but because his brother’s body was frail, their father chose him.

After the dinner, Ryunosuke called one of his guards to bring a certain box, a beautifully craved box in which usually a gift of sword was presented. He dismissed all his maids and guards, leaving him and his older brother alone, before opening the box and observing the content.

“Ryuu, do you really believe that it will be safe for you to go there by yourself?”

He eyed the sword in the box while answering, “Don’t be such worrywart, Onii-san. I had gone there and returned safely, hadn’t I?”

“Yes, but you may not have the same luck as before.”

“I know, and I’m not wishing for any luck. I just want to pay my debt, that’s all.” He traced his fingers over the scabbard. It was ornamented with golden, black, and red color; the mixture which reminded him a lot to the owner of the sword.

“But he has died, Ryuu,” his brother insisted. “Then to whom you will return that sword?”

“To him, of course. It’s not necessary to hand it back to the person, but I have to return this to the country he cherished so much, to the people that he had protected with his life.”

“Ryuu, how if I stand against you in this matter? You’re the hope of Seiryoku. If something happen to you, Seiryoku will be thrown into another chaos.”

He closed the box, and looked up to his brother, “No, I’ve made sure no one will dare to break our peaceful life. Besides, I trust you, Onii-san, just like you trusted me back then. You can manage the government during my leave, and if anything should happen to me, you know who will be the next light of our kingdom, no?”

“Are you serious to make my son as your successor?”

He slightly narrowed his eyes, “Do you need to repeat the question in every chance? Or do you think a king’s order is a joke?”

His brother bowed immediately, “Pardon me, Your Majesty. I didn’t mean it that way.”

He smiled subtly before patting his brother’s shoulder, “No need to be that stiff. Let’s just head out. I’m going to be late if not hurry.”

His brother returned with a bigger smile, “Alright, then.”

He opened the door and instructed his guards to bring the sword box, and while they walked outside the palace, his brother suddenly said, “You know, I wished I have a chance to meet him and thanked him personally, because he had returned my little brother to me.”

He did not respond to that, yet he gave an instruction instead, “I have put a tight security around Kyuu. Make sure nothing will harm our crown prince during my absence.”

His brother answered politely as he mounted his white stallion. Biding his brother and the other officers good bye, he left the palace soon after that with his caravan.

During his ride, he mulled over his brother words before.

“He is not dead, Onii-san. He can’t be killed that easily.” He muttered to no one.

His gaze stared at the distant, as though replaying the past.

One certain day, three guards came into his cell, and after scuffing his hands and blindfolding his eyes, they ushered him to somewhere. He remembered being pushed into a carriage and they rode for hours. He could not move as he was squeezed between strong men. He remembered someone forced him to eat. He refused, but then he heard a familiar voice. Ryosuke’s voice, telling him to eat. He was not sure why, but he ate eventually. It might be about three or four days before the journey halted. When they opened his blindfold, the first thing he saw was Ryosuke’s back. Yuto stood slightly beside Ryosuke, gazing at him while giving order to free him from all binds.

“What are you trying to do this time?” he asked when Ryosuke turned around to face him.

“Granting your wish.”

He widened his eyes slightly. He could not help but feel surprised. “You release me? Are you crazy?” he could not believe it.

“Maybe I am. I’ve contacted one of your retainers. I believe you know where you should find him, no?” At this a guard brought a sword to Ryosuke and Ryosuke held it out to him. “You’ll need something to defend yourself before you reach your destination.”

He took the sword and observed it carefully. The sword was beautiful and strong. He was sure of it.

“I’m not giving that to you. That’s one of my best collections after all. Return it when you’ve found your answer.” Ryosuke smiled at him, the first genuine smile directed at him.

Ryosuke did not say anything after that and proceeded to leave. He could only stare at them, especially the young king of Hakumei. How could someone be as crazy as Ryosuke? And just when Ryosuke about to mount his stallion, Ryosuke turned around and said.

“Anyway, take care of that stallion and good luck.”

After this, they left him alone for good, with a black stallion and a sword. He stood still at his place before he eventually regained his senses and sprang to the horse and galloped away towards his own kingdom. And after days of riding, he found his older brother waiting in the rendezvous only he and a few of his minions knew about.

“Until I find my answer…,” he repeated RYosuke’s words to himself. “Now that I’ve found it, you disappear, huh.”

**********

Ryosuke the top of Ainosuke’s head when Mirai adjusted the blanket over their son’s sleeping form. They sat on either side of the bed. Ainosuke had fallen asleep in their chamber after being exhausted from playing with him.

“You climb in, too, Mirai,” he gestured Mirai to sleep beside Ainosuke.

She shook her head, rising to her feet then walking around the bed to his side. She stood up before him, holding out her hands, which he took in his immediately, and saying, “Where will you sleep tonight, then?”

“The couch will do.”

She frowned, showing her disagreement. “That’ll be uncomfortable.”

She seemed thinking about another solution, and true, as she said, “Why not sleeping on the floor mattress like we did before?”

He pulled her hands gently to come closer to him before eventually he made her sat down on his lap, her b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter