Chapter 1. Snuggling with her cubs

The Lion's Pride

 

Melody collapsed on the bed exhausted. All she wanted to do at this moment was sleep but the unfamiliar and mostly barren room was making it difficult for her to relax.

Sighing she stood and crossed over to her suitcases that were against one wall. ping them she let the lids fall against the floor and reached into one to gently take out a wrapped package.

Opening it she felt the sting of tears as she smoothed her hand over the photo of her and Kati, and the rest of her friends from her hometown.

After placing it on the small desk next to a photo of her parents, she went to the closet to get hangers to start putting away her clothes. It didn’t take long to put them away and to tuck away the rest of them into the single dresser in the room.

Setting two of her favorite books written by her favorite author on the desk she looked around the room.  Although the walls were bare at the moment she and the girls would be going shopping tomorrow for household items.

The apartment had been furnished with the bare necessities until they could go get what they needed.

While she waited for her laptop to boot up she reached into her purse and from the zippered compartment took out a small framed photo of her and Leo.

Leo was standing behind her with his arms wrapped around her waist; he was leaning down to rest his chin on her shoulder and had a small grin on his lips. Her heart ached with the desire to feel those arms around her again.

Realizing her computer was ready she went over to put on her sleep playlist. The songs on the list were soothing and chosen to help her relax.

The internet was not yet hooked up in the apartment so she was unable to go online like she usually did when she could not sleep.

As the gentle voice of Leo filled the air she crossed back over to her bed and sat down.

Picking up the picture she lightly traced her fingers over Leo.

“I already miss you so much.”

Drawing the rough feeling blanket over her she made a mental note to find a nice soft one tomorrow. Her biggest weakness was for soft and fluffy things and she had a ridiculous amout of blankets and throws back home that she had been unable to resist buying because of their softness.

Turning off the light she closed her eyes and tried to will herself to sleep yet it would not come.

Tossing and turning she bit back a groan of frustration over half an hour later as she pulled her pillow over her face.

She froze as a quiet knock came from the door and she instantly felt bad, wondering if her sleeplessness was keeping the others awake.

Crossing to open it she saw Summer standing there hesitantly.

“What’s wrong Sweetling?”

“I can’t sleep Unni…Can I stay with you?” Summer chewed on her lip while she spoke and Melody smiled gently. So she wasn’t the only one who was feeling a little homesick.

“Of course you can.”

The two of them crawled back into bed and Summer snuggled close to her, within moments the girl had drifted off to sleep.

It wasn’t long after another knock came on the door and Melody called for them to come in. Trina crept in quietly.

“Unni…” she said questioningly.

Melody smiled and patted the space next to Summer. Quickly Trina hurried over and dived under the blankets.

Listening to Trina’s breathing become steady as she fell asleep Melody waited for Yhinny, knowing she would be coming also.

Her predictions were right when another soft knock was heard.

“Come in Yhinny.”

Yhinny closed the door behind her before walking towards the bed. “I couldn’t find the others and…and…”

“It’s alright Yhinny, get in the bed.” Melody's voice was filled with tenderness as she spoke.

With Yhinny tucked against her other side Melody finally felt more at ease and as she smoothed Yhinny hair back she realized that she would need to be more careful about feeling lost when they were here.

The girls were already nervous enough as it was and they didn’t need to know that their leader was feeling overwhelmed.

“Good night Sweetlings.” She whispered softly as she snuggled further under the blankets.

“Good night Leo. I miss you.”…