Commencement of That...Thing

Mr. Kim Jongin Chronicles: I'm Not Hitting On My Boss

~THE NEXT DAY~

Today, I am early and hopefully he’ll let me keep my job even after annoying him yesterday. I enter his office without a knock, as if it’s my own. He is nowhere to be found in the room, so I think he’s on the way to get here. I look around, reading certificates of recognition he received being an outstanding novice entrepreneur and pictures on his desk. A picture of him with two girls, looking young but I think they are his noonas, his dad and mom, I suppose. They look all pretty, even him and his dad looks very manly; although, he’s wearing a mask of negligence and looks very upsetting. Even a small smile is not escaping his lips and that is what pushes out people. It’s probably bad for him that that doesn’t work for me. He found someone who will measure up to him…because I’m great. I look at the window and draw up the draperies and it reveals a beautiful view of the city of Seoul.

“Oh, you’re here. You’re earlier than I expected,” Kai says. I turn around and see him exit a room from the right. He looked awfully better than yesterday, maybe because he wasn’t annoyed by a female churl. He is fixing his cuff link. I walk away, and then stand back as he passes by me to sit on his chair. I walk and stop just in front of his work table.
“I’m sorry. I looked around, I thought you weren’t here yet,” I say, holding defense. He suddenly looks at me with… calmness? I don’t know. His aura is suddenly light and of comfort.
“Good morning, mommy. I didn’t ask you anything, why be defensive or at least trying to protect yourself,” he says with a smile as he passes me a folder of files over his table.
“You might ask,” I say, trying to be reasonable.
“But I didn’t. So, why?”
“Okay, I’ll be honest. After yesterday, I mean, what I did yesterday was ‘extensively’ stupid,” I say emphasizing ‘extensively.’ “I realize that it can cost my new-found work. I’m sorry, Mr. Kim. If you think my attitude yesterday was irrational, I’m taking consequences.”
“Hmm…irrational,” he says, rubbing his chin with his hand, pondering on the word, “Uhm…yes, it is irrational…in the sense of crazy. After that, I was happy. You probably heard me scream after you close the door.”
“Happy?” I ask shocked, and then I feel a pool of water slowly fill the bottom part of my eyes. Wow, that had an effect on me. Talk about crazy!
“No personal assistant ever did that to me. They were all afraid of me. You, in contrast, were fearless. I like that. I’d like you to keep that part of you. It makes you stand out, someplace.”
“I…ah…uhm…”
“I know, no need to thank me and feel flattered. And, I might forgot to tell you; you forgot to report to me this morning.”
“Forgot to report? I mean, I know nothing much about your business and I thought that I might be of help to you if I know what runs here, you just said yesterday.”
“I said that yesterday? Hmm… you’ve got great memory. But then, there is still something you forgot to report to me. I’ll give you a minute to ponder on that.”

   I dig in my head, trying to find what I forgot. What the heck is that? I chance a glance at him and he regards to me with amusement. What the heck is it? Argh… this is annoying.
“Your minute is up, Ms. Choi. So, do you remember it now?” I shake my head. He looks at me with disbelief and he stands up and walks to me. He holds me at my arm, walks me to the side of his table.
“We-Wait! Are you going to fire me because I can’t remember what that is?” I ask and he sets me free.
“Fire? Who told you? We’re going to re-enact what happened this morning,” he walks to the door where he appeared a while ago, “I enter and got shocked you were here early and you said sorry about looking around which really is not a big deal to me. Well, it used to be, to my former P.A’s, but I changed because I’m great. Then, I walked to my table and …”
“I absolutely can’t remember what I said a while ago or what I forgot.”
“I’m summarizing the scene for you so may focus remembering what you forgot. So, here is the line you forgot to reciprocate to me.”

He walks and stops a meter away from and says, “Good morning, mommy.”

I feel my jaw drop open in shock. I forgot to say good morning and it’s a big deal to him. No one even say good morning to me, ever, not unless they really want to, but still, I don’t really care if they do or don’t.
“Mommy, do you now know what you forgot?”
“Ne, sorry. Argh… sorry again,” I stop and smile at him “Good morning Baby Kai. I was focusing on apologizing about my interference with your things and focusing in thinking of what runs in your business-to-be.”
“Business-to –be … No one said it to me that way. But you’re right. I’m still an heir. Say, you’re work here as a P.A will be different from the others. I’m making an exception for you. You will work for me as my P.A. but in the sense of other kinds of responsibility. Let’s say, you’re my advisor and you’re not going to do any paperwork. What you’ll do is to be present every time I ask you to be.” He starts walking around the room.
“So, does it mean that I’ll be like your ‘nanny’ or anything in that sense.”
“No, not a nanny. Remember that I’m addressing you ‘mommy’ and I’ll keep on calling you that because you act like one. So, I think my exception for you is reasonable. It reaches your standards. Don’t think I’m belittling you. I’m just making your job easier.”
“Okay, when do I start being your ‘mommy’?”I ask him. It feels awfully weird being called like one.
“You are now,” he says.
“But remember I’m younger than you. People might think I’m an ahjumma trying to look young. It’ll be unnerving if that happens.”
“Don’t worry. No one will be able to hear me call you that. I’m on a week-long business contribution for development at Seongjon-ri at Gyeonggi Province and I’ll bring you with me. Actually that’s the work offered to you, not being a P.A. but it is in that sense. My father asked help from Mr. Park Jung-soo from Magnum Opus Company, if you remember. And then you came. I think you’ll survive what’ll be laid out at the development of the place. It’ll be a pretty dirty work with soil and all.”
“Jeez, piece of cake. Don’t you know, I’m manlier than my brother or anyone here in Korea,” I whisper to him. He looks at me with questioning. “Oh, except you. You’re manlier than me. It’s obvious.”
“It’s good you know that. At least I know that I’m unsurpassable.”
“I’m sorry to interrupt your self-appreciation but I have a question. If I am going with you, who is going to take care of my nephews and my niece?”

 

I stand before our rented house together with Mr. Kim and two maids dressed how they should be.
“I got this all covered yesterday. I remember you saying about your nephews and your niece and your drunkard brother, so here… I already hired them last night and told them to be here at your house the time they should be.”
“Bu..but, how did you? How did you do all these? I mean, it’s too fast, like too quick. I don’t … I don’t understand.”
“You don’t have to. Remember what business I am in. I belong to society of high people and I’ve got connections.”
“Mr. Kim, you don’t really have to brag about that. I clearly know that,” I say as I enter our house.

 My nephews and my niece are all sitting beside the dining table eating bibimbap from I don’t know where.
“Aunt Joo-yeon! You’re home!” Hye-ri exclaims, standing up, runs to me and kisses me on the cheek.
“She’s the eldest and obviously the only girl,” I tell him.
“Okay. Don’t they go to school?”
“Well, she only does. And the other two, they’re …, no, I can’t make them all study. I’m making her study first so she can at least help me make her brothers study. They skipped school just this year. They are to be first graders. That’s why I’m desperate about this work. I was always fired before because of being fearless and stuff. I don’t why you said you liked that. That can actually cost my work. You should warn me if I am near the limit.”

He only looks at me, probably processing my speech. Thinking of it, what I said was really long that I can’t remember my actual words, just a summary of it.
“You’re a martyr, aren’t you? Well, that proves why you’d risk your life on the road yesterday and when you answered Sungyeol who can sue you for swearing.”
“Thank you and I think there’s no such thing as being sued for swearing,” I say with a smile. “The … maids, would they be here every day?”
“Change of topic, hm? Anyway, yes. I am hoping you’d say yes.”
“Say yes to what?”
“If they can stay here. I mean, the children will be safeguarded more if they’re here all throughout.”
“Well, yeah. I was actually going to suggest that,” I say, observing the two maids who are starting to clean and look after the three.
“Will you excuse me? I’m just going to pack some things I would need for the week.” Mr. Kim nods and I go to my room and gather anything from my closet, not caring if the mix and match will really match. I went out and got a pair of flats on the shoe rack, put it in a plastic bag and into my bag.
“Say, I think we should go. It will be a pretty long drive to Seongjon-ri and I don’t like traffic.”
“Okay, I’ll just say goodbye to them,” I say and walk away from him.

“Hye-ri, Ji-young, Jeongmin! Come here!” I shout to them. They come running and gather around me; Ji-young bumping unto Jeongmin and then they laugh. I squat down to their level so they won’t break their necks looking up at me.
“Hey, babies! Aunt Joo-yeon’s going on a trip and I’ll be gone for a week. Can you handle yourselves?” I ask them.
  The three of them nods in sync. Hye-ri looks away into Kai’s direction and smiles. She looks up at me and smiles. I know what she’s thinking. Of course, she’s raised up by me; she would either way be like me or be some part of me. She’ll say that I finally stop being judgmental about rich people.
“Aunt Joo-yeon, are you going with him? Good pick,” she says, her eyes forming a smile. Okay, that’s different from what I thought. She’s just ten! I thought she would say that maybe I stopped despising rich people. I hope he didn’t hear that.
“Hye-ri,” I say, covering . I look back at him and he has that expression, that expression of “I-will-pretend-I-didn’t-hear-that-even-if-I-did.” I shake my head in shame.
“Hye-ri, he’s my new boss. He might think I’m hitting on him; er …my language is not suited for you. He might think I like him. Don’t do that again, okay? He might think of me as a creepy person,” I whisper to her, trying to find balance after Hye-ri uttered her sentence.
“Ne. Aunt Joo-yeon, shouldn’t you go now?”
“Of course I do. Okay, you should follow your noona’s or unnie’s so they won’t get mad at you. You have to sleep early, especially you, Hye-ri. And you, my baby boys, “I say, pinching Ji-young and Jeongmin’s cheeks and they shove my hand away, “The two of you should learn to read and write longer and harder words, because when I get my money, you will all go to school, okay? Your noona’s will help you do that, won’t they?” I say and turn to the two maids who nod to me in agreement.
“Okay, that’s all. Bye-bye! I’ll see you all in a week,” I kiss the three of them before standing up.

  I walk to Mr. Kim and apologized. We both walk out the gate.
“Sir, I’m sorry it took that long. I think they still don’t get what I told them.”
“That’s okay. I understand your stand in your family.”   I just nod, thankful he understands me.
I walk around the car and open his door to the back seat. Before closing it, I just had the urge to apologize for Hye-ri.
“And Mr. Kim, I don’t know if you heard what my niece said, but if you do, I am saying sorry in behalf of her. She likes… uhm… pretty boys and all those who are in Boy Groups. I probably think she likes them all.”
“Well, if I were you, I’d agree with her. You’re probably lucky you have me. I’m a good pick, don’t you know?” I just nod as a response. Okay, his words just make butterflies swarm my stomach. I close his door and go to my place in front. Mr. Lau is looking at me with a big question mark covering his face. I guess he is wondering what it has to do with me what Mr. Kim just said.
“Back to Beau Monde, Mr. Lau,” he says as Mr. Lau hits the engine and turns up the corner.
“Yes, Sir Kim,” he says and drives the way there.

   It is about 1 and a half kilometer that I come to question why are we going to return to Beau Monde.
“Mr. Kim, I thought we’re heading to Seongjon-ri?” I ask, turning on my seat.
“Well, we have to drop off Mr. Lau at the building so he may have his paid vacation,” he says professionally. Paid vacation, eh? Well, I’m not regretting my job!
“So, that clearly means that you will accompany me at Seongjon-ri. The building to be interiorly decorated is set up. As the chief sponsor of the project, my company will spearhead its design and all and I will be my father’s representative,” he says, further explaining this without me asking or even thinking of the question.
“So, we’re there to design?”
“Not literally design. Well, it actually is, but I rather call it to inspire.”
“Oh, then we are to inspire them. Wait, what building are we going to design to inspire?”
“It’ll be a school for children whose parents can’t pay for private schools.”   Mr. Kim has a heart for someone below their means. Well, he totally erased my thought of a belittling rich person.

Sitting back, I ponder in Mr. Kim’s words. So, that clearly means that you will accompany to Seongjon-ri, he says a while ago. So that means I’ll be the only person with him…. Or will there be anyone else with us? I ask him all my questions.
“Well, yes. You’re the only who will accompany me to the project. There will be at most three other personnel who will be our bodyguards. Do you have any problem with that?”
“None, sir!” and I keep quiet. I am going with him alone …with three bodyguards who would, I don’t know, try to keep us safe.

Mr. Lau stops in front of Beau Monde, he passes the key to Mr. Kim and he goes out of the car. I go out of the car, open Mr. Kim’s door and he steps out. He opens the door to the driver’s seat and sits down. I remain standing outside the door of the backseat.
“Mommy, are you willing to walk to Seongjon-ri, because if you are, I am going to leave you and head first to the site?”
“ Sorry. I’m going to get in, sir.” I enter the backseat and he shoves me off by spanking my right arm.
“Not there! Stay here in front, with me,” he orders, obviously pissed off with my lack of common sense. Why the heck do I lack that? Isn’t that supposed to be common?

   I hurriedly get out and clumsily walk and enter the front seat beside Mr. Kim. As I am, I unintentionally hit his face with my bag as I enter the car.
“Mr. Kim, oh my god, I’m sorry! How the heck do I …?” I reach out and he pushes my hand away.
“Ms. Choi, I’m okay. There’s no need to be over-acting. And if you’re going to end up clumsy, I’d advise that you stay a meter away from me.” He starts the car and drives.
“Yes, sir. I’m sorry again,” I say, bowing down repeatedly.
“Joo-yeon, stop it. You’re going to get dizzy if you keep doing that. I don’t want anyone vomiting in my car,” he says, touching my head using his wrist, putting pressure on it. It is as if a taekwondo formation that no one knows except him. I move away the moment I realize that I’m staring at him again. I sit back, properly this time.
“When you said that if I am to end up clumsy and to stay a meter away from you, then why didn’t you order me back to the backseat?”
“It feels empty beside me,” he says.
“But you’re always alone at the back,” I point out to him.
“The reason I can get cranky easily.”
“So, why won’t you let anyone accompany you and sit by you? Or why won’t you sit in front beside Mr. Lau?”
“They’re not authorized to do so.”

    My mind went blank and I’m aware I’m looking at him with disbelief. After all this time, it was only his authorization that he didn’t give to his employees for him to be accompanied.
“Well? You’re the only one I authorized. Won’t you feel honored with that?”
“Keep it, Mr. Kim. You’ve been flattering yourself too much today.”
“Mommy,” he says with a sneer.
“Baby, watch your temper. You’re not getting younger, I think. Maybe I should stop you calling ‘Baby Kai’. It’s weird and awkward, I say so myself.”
“No, don’t stop it. I like that, actually. I don’t really know why, but I do. It is weird and awkward, but hey, we’re enjoying each other’s discomfort.  That’s what is great in it.”
“If you say so, Mr. Kim.”
“And … enough with the Mr. Kim honorific blah, blah… Baby Kai or simply Kai is better. Mr. Kim is making me look old. That’s who my father is, so never call me that again. This is a direct order so you can’t do anything about it.”
“Bossy, eh?”
“I’m your boss anyway. I have the right to be bossy.”
“No, you’re not. I will only accompany you to your outreach project and after that I’ll find another work. I’m not exactly your P.A., right? You say so yourself.”
“Well,” he stops the car beside the road in a fast break.
“Watch it! I don’t want to die young!”
“Don’t worry, you won’t die young. Anyway, I’m your boss in that length of time …how long it may be.”
“How long it may be? But you said it’ll be one week and that’s definite.”
“I know. But you can’t actually rush things and we don’t know what’ll happen there that’ll delay us from going home or what. So, that one week is actually just an estimation of how long we’ll be staying there.”
“Okay. And why did you stop the car? This will be one of the reasons that will get us delayed.”

   He shrugs and starts to drive again. We both fall into silence that I got asleep. When I wake up, we are driving along a highway bordered with trees and a view that’s just stunning. I can’t help but smile. This is too pretty to be real. If I can only reach out and prove to myself that it’s real.
“It’s beautiful, isn’t it? The school’s development will make this place progress more, so it’ll be a really great project.”

I turn to look at him. His side view is as stunning as the view. Oh, what the heck was that? I am joking myself and Kai about me liking him and everything else, but why am I ….admiring him?
“Yes, it’s beautiful. It’s simply impressive and I … doubt it’s real.”

    He stops the car again. I throw him another of those don’t-get-me-killed look. He walks down the car and open my door, revealing a cold breeze that send chills through my arms then down my back.
“Step out from your sit and reach out to see that it’s real,” he says, his arm on the door.
“I didn’t mean to… I know it’s real. I mean, we can’t be driving along some tarpaulin having scenic …” I gesture around and he holds my hand and pulls me out, sending me to the ground. I shrieked with the fast movement and all.
“You’re lucky I’m wearing pants or else, grr… I would’ve got you killed.” I stand up, brushing off dust particles; he burst in fits of laughter that is brimmed. “What’s so funny, Baby Kai?”
“You. I didn’t know you were that light to send you to the ground. And … yes, if you weren’t wearing pants, I would take the blame. I will uhm…dare myself to change into whatever you are wearing.”
“What?”
“We’ll change clothes if that happen. I know it’s weird, but I’m betting myself into it. It won’t happen at all.”
“I’m currently seeing how Seongjon-ri,” I regard to him with question; he nods, “is really magnificent, but this is going to get us delayed.”
“Nah, we’re here anyway. We just need to drive at least four more towns in Seongjon-ri and we will be there. I intend to actually show you the view first. So, enjoy it while we’re not yet hustling around the site.”

   He walks first, into the field, beside the trees. I stare at him for a while, as he won’t see me. He walks pass the trees and stops, putting his hands in his pockets.
“The view is better here, if you would walk,” he says, turning around and shouting at me. So, I did. Well, he’s not joking when he said that the view is better.
“I never had a chance to witness anything like this. This is all too pretty for my eyes. I’m all imprisoned in a world where I am facing challenges that I always go through alone so I’m blinded by its darkness that I created my own happy world. I had the least of everything,” I say, as I stop beside him. It is the truth. I had the least in the world.

He breathes in beside me and then exhales.
“Why do you think you had the least of everything in this world? Just because you have a family that you’re the only one who’s striving or that your brother is drunkard or you don’t have a firm work? Despite all that, you’re happy, aren’t you?”

   I look at him, not believing what he said. I thought he’s all snooty, all mean and everything else that’s annoying and that he’s just making some adjustments for me, but this. . .
“Well?” he asks.
“Yes, I am happy. But, a very big but, I’m not complete.”
“I think none of us is. We need to feel incomplete to find that thing or that person who fill up that gap. I am one of those who are lacking lots of things. That’s why I’m not happy, that’s why I am always known as the guy who won’t smile. I don’t really know how they keep on telling me I have such a handsome face when in fact I am all ugly without a smile. I don’t have reasons to.”
“But I saw you smile, before.”
“I did? When?”
“Yesterday, before you enter the café and when you got to your office when you realize why your P.A’s are ditching you.”
He looks at me, he’s probably thinking if he really did smile.
“Oh, that,” suddenly snapping his fingers in front of my face. “Yes, I did smile yesterday. That was a first, ever since I got in this industry. Maybe it is because of you.”
“Ne?”
“Yeah, I think it’s because of you. You’re the reason I’m smiling.”
“How can that be happening? I mean,” I breathe in as he lands a finger on my lips; it’s sending those butterflies in my stomach again. How am I able to make him smile?
“Shhh… Don’t think why. You’re company is blithe, in terms. I probably like to keep you for myself.”
“Mohaeyo?” I suddenly exclaim, sending his finger away from my lips.
“Mommy, there’s no need to shout. Don’t think I’m asking you to be my …,” he pauses as he realizes what I was thinking about, “What I mean is keeping you as my P.A., officially, so that you’ll have a firm work after accompanying me to this project.”
“Well, that’s actually a good …uhm, deal. I’ll take it then.”
“Good choice,” he says, running his hand over my head. Why the heck is that mainstream? Guys holding a girl’s head and it will send those sweet butterflies again…

   He moves away and walks to the car.
“Mommy! I thought you were in a hurry to get there? Why are you holding me back?”
“You’re the one who forced me down the car and you dare tell me that,” I say as I walk to him. He opens the car door to the passenger seat.
“Don’t P.A.’s do that to their boss?” He shrugs his shoulder with a pout on his lips. Darn it, that’s just cute. I push his hand away from the car door, hold his wrist, aware that this is what I can hold for now, I pull him to the other side of the car and open his door.
“There, this is what should’ve happened a few seconds ago,” I say madly, releasing his ‘wrist.’
“Yes, mommy,” he says, throwing those deathly smile again. He sits on his seat and asked me to go in now.

“Mommy, see that? I smiled again. And it’s because of you,” he tells me as I sit down. He starts the car and drives again, for the third time.
“So are you telling me to feel honored that you smiled because of me?”
“I can say that. But you just said a while ago that I’m flattering myself too much today. So, I’ll save some for later, when you won’t be able to hear me.”
“But you’ll still be flattering yourself.”
“Yes, but not in front of you, so it’ll be a different scenario,” he says, with an impish smile on his face, and his eyebrows shooting up to his forehead. I shake my head and look away. He pats my arm and when I turn to him, he is pouting then turn his look to the road and back to me again.

“Will you just go look at our way? We’re gonna die with what you are doing,” I say, pushing his face so that he is looking at the road.
“You really sound like my mom. Those were the exact words she said when I toured her around our new place in Seoul, back then. Uhm… will you add something to what you said?”
“Add something to what I said? No, why?”
“Well, except for the same words you said, there was also one thing she told me,” a small smile escapes his lips.
“What?” I ask, turning to him. He smiles again, as if something is funny.
“She says ‘I don’t like to lose you, baby. I don’t know what losing you will entail’.”

  Bile reaches my throat and I am only able to gape at him.
“Thought so,” he says with laughter, putting his hand below my chin and pushes it up to meet the upper part of my jaw.
I shake my head, looking elsewhere but him.
“You are feeling uncomfortable, aren’t you?”
“You said it’ll be about four towns to reach that place? Why are we taking so long?”
“Are you trying to fish out yourself this situation?”
“What? No way! I never choose the easy way out.”
“Then why weren’t able to nag me about what my mom says to me. Mommy, I’m your baby, right? Will it be okay with you if I’m gone?”
“That’s not for me to answer now. We just need to get there, okay?”
“Okay, mommy. Stop nagging about my driving. Don’t worry; I’ll get you there safely.”

We reach the site in silence. The place is surrounded by a large empty field waiting to be filling in with crops and a plane at the farther right with an orchard and eight lone houses probably made from wood.
“So, we’re here,” he says, stopping his car at the roadside, near a building. He walks out the car and when I put my hand on the handle that opens the door, my door opens and Kai stands before me, with glasses on his eyes.
“I thought I offended you when I think you’ll say what my mother said,” he says, walking pass me heading the building.
“Uhm, not really. It’s just that, you’re question is out of the blue. I mean, I can’t answer you now, not unless that I like you, maybe like blah.”

   He regards me with a big question.
“So, do you?”
“Uhm… I… uhm… That’s something that I… Uhm...,” I’m stuttering. Oh, no. ‘Ms. Choi Joo-yeon, you stutter when you do’, Baekhyun, my former classmate said after asking me if I was never kissed.
“Joo-yeon, you’re stuttering. Maybe you do.”
“What!? No… I… Uhm… Why would I like you?”
“There are plenty of reasons why.”
“But none that I see.”
“Maybe I’ll hold on the fact that you do,” he says and walks away.

I didn’t just have that conversation.
“Kai! I mean, Mr. Kim, I don’t. So don’t push,” I shout as I run after him.
“Are you ordering me again, Joo-yeon?”
“Uhm, no.”
“So, you’re suggesting?”
“Well, yeah,” he knows my lines already it makes me want to smile.
      He nods, looks away and smiles. Darn! I want to see how his eye-smile will look if he just remove that glasses of his.

“It’s not so sunny, so what’s the purpose of this?” he says, removing his glasses as he heard what I just thought about.
“Mommy,” he looks at me making me suddenly conscious of thinking about anything.
“Ne?”
“You’re agreeing that I call you mommy?”
“Well,”
“But you’re not calling me Baby Kai.”
“That’s uhm…” I scratch my head. Will I find an answer to that?
“Then just call me Baby if Baby Kai is too long,” he says, walking ahead, entering the building.

 It’s an empty place, wallpapered with plain beige. I find this a bit boring for learning.
“Here, this where we will paint a mural to ‘inspire’ the children,” he holds my arm and runs, dragging me to the wall.
“So, what are your ideas?” he asks.
“Me? I thought I’ll only accompany you.”
“Well, what are you going to do while you do? Nothing right?”
“I thought there are other people who’ll be here. The bodyguards, they’re supposed to accompany us, right?”
“Well, about that, I was able to persuade my dad that we can handle ourselves and we don’t need them. And there are countrymen who’ll be with us, assisting us in everything we’ll do.”

As I am to comment on what he said, a knock at the door allows us to turn to the door. A guy enters, dressed in normal clothes, not so shabby and not so classy.
“Mr. Kim?”
“Yes, I am him.”
“Oh, sir. I am Jung Joo-chan. Welcome to Seongjon-ri,” the man says, bowing his head.
“Thank you, Joo-chan. I expect you are older than me so, am I allowed to address you hyung?”
“Well, sir, you’re at a higher stand compared to me so it’s not necessary.”
“I don’t think so. I completely contradict what you said. Someone made me realize that we are not on a ladder so no one’s higher or lower than us,” he says that line looking at me. Okay, you’re welcome, “And I bet that I can call you ‘hyung’ then?”
“If you prefer it, sir.”
“ And you may stop using sir. It’s making me older than I look,” he says, looking at me.

“Kai,” I say slowly. He shakes his head and mouths me ‘Baby.’
“Ba-Ba, Ba- Ba,” I stutter.
“Are you going to sing Baba Black Sheep? That’s a good nursery to teach the children.”
“Anniyeo!”
“Then, please continue with what you’ll say. Starting with addressing me ‘Baby,’” he says too happily.
“Why are you pushing me to say that?”
“I am pushing you to say that because you can’t call a mother a mother if she doesn’t have a baby. Am I right, hyung?”
“Point made well, sir,” he said to Kai. He looks rather embarrassed to answer him.
“Okay, I don’t have a reason to feel embarrassed to address you that. So, Baby,” I stop. It feels weird. “I’m not completely lost with the irony you uttered. I’m not older than you so don’t dare regard me with how you do a while ago.”
“Mommy, are you mad?”
“No, I’m suggesting,” I say sarcastically.
“Joo-yeon, I do know that. Mr. Jung, when we reach your area, please inform the people there that even though I’m calling Ms. Choi ‘mommy’, she is not my mother.”
“Definitely, sir. I mean, Kai.”

“Baby, where will we stay?” I suddenly ask. It feels better now, the butterflies are caught in the net and this will keep them from igniting my flattering feeling. Kai smiles at me and he is surely agreeing that I call him that.
“Mr. Jung, the head of this place, was able to set up a place for us.”

“Shall I show you the way, Kai and Ms. Choi?”
Kai nods and we all went out. Kai locks the door and at least three men who could be younger than me and two girls my age wait outside. The girls stare at Kai, as if it’s the first time they’ll see someone handsome. Well, they have these three men who aren’t so bad. Why am I suddenly protective? As if I own him.

“Aneonghaseo,” the two girls says in sync. They are all smiles, like seriously. I know how people react when they see me, so it’s normal. His line yesterday echoes in my head. I walk behind the two girls. At first, Kai just look at them then he flashes that freaking smile. I narrow my eyes at him and he shot me that you’re-dead look.
He excuses himself as he is going to pass between the two girls. They look back at me, looking at me with scorn before they let him through. He grabs my arm and walks me about a meter and a half from them.
“Wae? Is there anything wrong, Mr. Ladies’ Man?” shooting him a look that says I’m not affected with whatever he’s going to do or say to me.
“Well, something is wrong with how you regard to me. Wait, no, nothing’s wrong. You narrowed your eyes at me after I smile at them.”
“Don’t push,” I say, putting my head in front of his face.
“No,” he pushes it down, rather forcefully. “You’re being uhm… protective. You do like me, don’t you? You’re being possessive. I like that better than your fearless attitude.”
“I said don’t push,” I say being cranky. Because I don’t.
“Shhh… I’ll find a way to like you, anyway,” he puts his finger in front of my lips again. Did he just say that he’ll find a way to like me? This totally halted me and everything inside me. I touch his hand. Darn! This is real.

He put his hand down and looks at me in the eyes. Is he trying to gauge me or what I’m trying to think?
“Did I startle you? Well, that’s how things work for me. If someone likes me, I’ll find ways to like them back so they don’t regret having to like me,” he walks away. “You may close your mouth; flies may fly in, even if you just brushed your teeth.”

What? I don’t need permission to close my mouth. What is wrong with him? That completely caught me off guard. And no, I still don’t like him.

“Mr., I mean Kai, there’s no other way across the rice field but to walk through the paddies,” Mr. Jung tells Kai as I approach them.
“I guess we have to walk through the soil, am I not right Mr. Jung?” I ask, removing my sneakers and socks at the same time.
“Well, Ms. Choi, I may suggest that we make a plank bridge across the rice paddies.”
“But Mr. Jung, that’ll take too much time and effort. We’re not too conscious with getting dirty, aren’t we Baby? You said it’ll be dirty work and we’re officially starting now, aren’t we?”
“I’m taking the challenge,” he says, not feeling inferior with my threat of filth.
“It’s no challenge. You’ll have to this for how long we are to stay here, can you take that?”
“Of course, I’m manlier than anyone here, right?”
“In that case,” I hold his hand.
“Oh? You want support while we cross? Okay, I’ll be that person for you,” he says, pulling both his hand and mine near his chest.
“Heck, no,” I say, bringing his hand to my mouth and bite him hard, letting go right after it, walking straight to the soil. He screams out, shaking his hand in pain. I drop in to the rice paddies.
“What was that about?” he shouts as I am about a meter away from him. Gosh, these paddies sure are slippery.
“That? Because of what you said a while ago. I said don’t push but you didn’t stop. So, there; you received your karma.”
“I’ll come and get you.”
“If you can. I think you’ll freak out the moment you set foot on the paddy. I don’t think you’ll get half-way there, so I have to ready myself in carrying you.”
“Mommy, are you mocking your boss? And don’t tell me that you’re suggesting,” he says, removing his shoes. Oh, so he won’t back down.
“Okay. I’m just bringing that up to mind or proposing.
“That’s the same as suggesting.”
“Well, yes. But it’s not actually the word suggesting. And yes, I’m mocking you.”

His look at me constricts. He does not like what I just said. He descends to the soil, he flinch at first then starts to walk.
“I’m going to get you, Joo-yeon. And there is no mommy for now. I’m going to take you to the ground.”
Suddenly, I’m inferior again to him. That’s just mad. He’s going to take me to the ground and what? Let me eat soil? I walk away, trying to be fast. And the more I try to walk fast, the more I feel sinking deeper into the soil. I thought these aren’t that deep? I look back and when I look back, my feet suddenly go deeper.
“Must remove my feet from here,” I utter while trying to pull myself from being stuck. The mud is getting heavy above my feet and being stuck here is not an option.
“I see that you are stuck,” Kai says and he’s only a few centimeters away from me. “Come on, give me your hand, you’ll sink in if you don’t,” he says, stopping a laugh.
“Baby, are you imagining me sinking and looking like a “mud woman?”
“Hardly, no. Here, let me help you.”
“No way,” I say gesturing my hand to just splashing mud at him. “Oh my god, Mr. Kim, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to.”
“Pfft… Joo-yeon,” he smiles forcefully, I can say.
“You can push me to the mud. I won’t get mad. I mean seriously. I am willing to do it.”
“Are you sure?”
“Well,” Of course I don’t want to end up mud-faced! What the heck!
“I guess you are not. Come; just take my hand, we… I mean, I can’t go anywhere without you,” he says, stretching out his hand in front of me. He can’t go anywhere without me… Where the heck did that come from?

   He stretches his hand in front of me again and I reach for it. He pulls really hard and I think my arm is going to break.
“I guess you’re really stuck. You must remove your weight from your legs and transfer force into your arms so I can pull you out.” What? Is he now a scientist calculating weight and force?
“Wait, my arms hurt already. Can we stop for a while?”
“No, you are not going to be stuck like this if you just thought of Mr. Jung’s suggestion of putting up plank bridges for us to cross over, well, at most, you. Come, just to do what I said, okay? Now, you have to do just that when I am on three.”
“Will it work?”
“We’ll try. Now, just do it! One, two, three!” He pulls at my arm hard and I feel that my feet are off the mud. Letting out a shriek with my eyes closed, I am free from it, finally. He unexpectedly releases me and the moment I open my eyes, I thought I’m safe.
    Dear, no. I’m going to land … and there it is; cold, slimy and smelling earthy on my face. This is disgusting, I regret saying we don’t need plank bridges.
“What the? Mommy, are you okay? I didn’t mean to,” he says, helping me stand up while I struggle not to slip again. I use my arm to rub off the mud, forgetting it has mud as well. I am seriously crying, how can this be? I’m miserable right now.
“Come on, mommy, help yourself. ! You’re stuck again! Why do you keep on getting stuck?”
“I don’t know. Maybe because I’m stuck with you,” I scream, now annoyed with everything, and he even manages a giggle. Why is he so mean? Still a sadist.
“Sorry. We have to do that again,” he says, holding my arms again.
“No, I can handle myself, you go your way.”
“Mommy, come on, please. I can’t go there, safe on land, getting clean while you are stuck here and covered with mud,” he says, emphasizing words that I just want to be clean and off here and not stuck like this. “Come on, you can do it.”
“Fine. I’ll count. You’re going too fast the last time.”
“Sure, go when you’re ready.” Please don’t land on mud. Please don’t land on mud. Please don’t land on mud. I’ve created a mantra.
“One …two …three!” He pulls me, with much force this time. I close my eyes, not wanting to know where I land.


“Come on, get off me! I take what I said a while ago about you being light. You’re heavier than I thought!” I open my eyes and I am on top of him… Him, Mr. Kim! I carelessly stand up, holding his hand to help him up.
“Oh, my gosh, I am so sorry. I didn’t mean to. Mr. Kim, I’m really sorry. Chincha mianhae,” I repeatedly say as I pull him up to his feet. He lets out a laugh which is seriously unexpected.
“Now, this is what you call fun. I didn’t know that mud is really this cool on the skin. You know, they can have a mud spa business here.” I shake my head. Did he bonk his coconut on a rock?
“Mr. Kim, are you okay?”
“Of course I am. Now, let’s walk slowly so that may not happen again. But it’s fun.”
“Yes, sir. But Mr. Jung and his companions are way ahead of us.”
“Never mind them. We know our direction now. It is pretty obvious. It’ll be just four meters away, so we don’t need their directions again. And when we have to cross these mud paddies, we may ask them to take us to the shallower ones. This path we took is deep. If you didn’t notice, they took another path,” he says, holding my hand and starts to walk. I don’t mind, because it doesn’t have any meaning. We are nearing land when he stops.
“Come here,” he says, pointing to space to his left. I go to it, carefully, trying not to slip.
“Before we get out of these paddies, here is something for you to remember,” he says. What does he mean?
“Oh, I have a lot to remember,” I look at the paddies. The boundaries are destroyed; there are parts with shallow mud than it used to be. We seriously have to pay Mr. Jung for that. I turn back to look at him, only to see him shake his head.
             

He reaches out in front of me, holding his hands at both sides of my face. He touches my cheek and I seriously don’t know what to do, so I close my eyes. I feel close breathing that I pull back and he giggles. He holds my cheeks tighter and he asks me to open my eyes. I slowly open them and he is all smiles. Oh my god, this is not happening! He’s going to kiss me! He moves forward, closer to me. No! He’s going to be my first kiss. No way, no way. Too mean, too mean. This isn’t happenin’! Will Kai be my first kiss?