Chapter 12

You Drive Me Crazy

Author's note: 

For this chapter, i want to try something new so i've input some songs throughout the story. I tend to repeat my music and i change it when i try to match the mood of the story. Maybe some of you will enjoy this? haha tell me what you think, if i should keep it or not. thanks!

CHAPTER TWELVE

Song #1: Akdong Musician- Idea

Man, I’m so screwed.

That was the first thought that came to my mind. I sat on my bed in plain silence. I didn’t want to move, I was too afraid. What if this person is watching what I’m doing right now?

Okay, hold up. Now I’m just speaking nonsense! How is this person able to see me? Unless, they live in the apartment right across from mine and is looking at me with binoculars! I fled to the balcony and looked at the people walking on the busy street underneath me. They all look like ants, how can they see me? Maybe I’m just going crazy right now. Living across the apartment? I angrily stuck up both my middle fingers and yelled in frustration, “Whoever you are, YOU CAN MY-“

“Whoa, are you alright?”

I turned around to see Seungyoon who had stepped into my apartment. That totally caught me off guard! I quickly hid my inappropriate hand gesture behind my back. “Oh, Seungyoon-ah, what brings you here?”

“Noona, I think it’s best if you lock your front door next time, it’s kind of unsafe to keep it open. Especially in the current situation…” He said, concern written over his face.

I nodded, stepping back into the apartment. “You’re right. Anyways, shouldn’t you guys be heading to the studio? Why are you still here?”

“Actually,” He began speaking in almost an inaudible manner, “I’m wondering if you can do me a favour…” He said, looking a little embarrassed as he stared off into a corner.

I wonder what’s up. “Yes of course. If I can help then I’ll try my best.”

“Well you see, I bumped into Taehyun just now and he seemed a little… Off. He said he’ll go to the studio later on his own. I was a little worried since he’s not usually like this.” He paused and looked at me. “Since you two are close maybe you would know what happened to him?”

“Oh.” Here I am thinking whatever I said doesn’t matter to him. Maybe it did bother him a little then? I honestly didn’t know what to feel about it though. “I wish I can help but I guess it wasn’t a good idea to ask me. I don’t know what happened actually.” It’s for the better not to tell Seungyoon about these things…

Seungyoon seemed displeased. “Hmm, can you maybe talk to him about it? I can tell something is bothering him but he isn’t telling me anything. Besides, Taehyun‘s one of our main vocalists, if he doesn’t come for the recordings then we have to postpone our debut even further.” Oh so Seungyoon is now in leader mode?

“I really don’t know if I can help in any way though...” I trialed off.  

“But Taehyun usually seems to be in a better mood when you’re around.”

Curiosity took over me and I looked up at Seungyoon. “What are you talking about? Ha! Quit joking Seungyoon-ah.”

“I don’t know if I should be telling you this, because you should probably hear it from him instead but I think he likes you. Quite a lot.”

I almost choked at his words. Eh? I highly doubt that. “Are you kidding me? That’s impossible.”

He shrugged it off and waved his hand to dismiss his thought. “I don’t know. I’m just telling you what I think. But I guess a guy’s instinct most likely won’t be as accurate as yours.” He got up from the chair to leave. “I guess I’ll head to the studio now. They’re still waiting for me downstairs. You should probably just stay in today then. Call us if anything happens!” I smiled at him and nodded to his suggestion.

“OH MY! Is that the whole Linkin Park collection?” Seungyoon suddenly pointed at the stack of albums I have sitting on one side of the coffee table.

“Mhmm. You wanna listen to it?” I asked. Seungyoon immediately nodded. I laughed at his behaviour and shoved the albums in his hands. “Yah, don’t break it or I’ll kill you!” He nodded happily and I eventually had to kick him out of my apartment.

A/N: I just randomly put in Linkin Park because it was what popped into my mind first, no other reason here.

Song #2: Perfume- 23:30

After he left, I went back to lounging around in the living room. That voicemail still bothered me, but there was no one that I can talk to. If I told Hyejin, she would definitely tell me to quit my job right away, and I really don’t want to do that. Telling Bom isn’t an option either, because she will tell our boss which will just add fuel to the fire. The worst people to know about it will obviously be the boys next door. They will most likely ignore my protests and move in to keep me company. My apartment isn’t very big in the first place and I really don’t want to create more hassle.

Though, deep inside, I think what’s bothering me most were Seungyoon’s words. He thinks Taehyun likes me? Hyejin said the same thing too. I was very certain that he doesn’t but I am unsure now. He has showed zero affection towards me so far, at least when we were sober… Except for the hug just now which was very weird by the way.

I suddenly missed him a lot, but I’m quite positive that he wouldn’t want to see me right now. Not after what we quarreled about earlier, and especially because he said he wouldn’t care anymore.  

I changed the channel on TV and tried to relax. But I couldn’t. I felt so restless and I wanted to head out. I didn’t want to be trapped in my apartment. Heck, I should probably do something productive with my life. I’m sure the stalker won’t be able to watch my every move anyways. They probably have something better to do with their life too.

After persuading myself to go outside, I quickly changed, applied some make up and got my keys. I suddenly had the very urge to just talk to Taehyun about everything that has been on my mind lately. I wanted to just clear things out with him, once and for all. If he doesn’t like me, I should probably just move on. That will be good for me too, and I really need to hear it from him in person.

When I got to the lobby, I quickly dialed Taehyun’s number. The call, however, went straight to voicemail and I hung up in a frustrated manner. Where could he possibly be? Now I’m getting worked up since Seungyoon told me he left somewhere and won’t be at the studio till later. I figured he won’t be too far off from the neighbourhood so I quickly left the building and walked around the area, searching for the person with 5:5 hair.

It was only in the late morning, but for some odd reason the street was packed with people. Is there some kind of special event happening today? I continued walking down the side walk, searching frantically for Taehyun. He will probably be in disguise though… Damn it! That’s going to be even more difficult for me to spot him.

I spent the next fifteen minutes walking around but still saw no sign of Taehyun. Has he actually gone to the building already? I dialled Seungyoon’s number and he immediately picked up. “Noona?? Are you okay? Did something happen?”

I laughed at his response. “No no. I’m just wondering if Taehyun is at the studio?”

“No… He’s not here yet.” He replied, his voice a little solemn. I suddenly felt very bad for him. It must be hard to be a leader at times.

“I’m looking around in the neighbourhood but I couldn’t find him still. I’ll let you know if I see him though.”

“What? You went outside?” He exclaimed. “Get back in your apartment! What if something happens?”

“Rest assured. There are so many people out here! The person can’t do anything to me even if they see me.” Okay now I definitely can’t let him know about the voicemail I received this morning. It’ll probably scare him less.

“But still…”

“Well, I’m hanging up now. Have fun recording!” I quickly hung up before he was able to object.

I continued walking down the side walk, trying to look closely at anyone wearing a cap. I sighed heavily at the lack of luck by my side today. I tried calling him again. Surprisingly, he did pick up this time.

“What do you want?” He replied.

“Where are you?” I asked eagerly, looking around the busy street that is packed with a gazillion people.

“I think you need to review the rules I made again. Rule number one, don’t call me unless it’s-“

“Oh come on, cut it out! I can’t find you anywhere!”

“You’re outside? Why aren’t you staying home?” Not again. The last thing I want is for someone to lecture me about staying indoor all day.

“Shut up and tell me where you are! I need to talk to you!”

I hear him pause for a while. “Just go home. We have nothing to talk about.”

“Yes we do!” I proclaimed, waiting for him to respond. But he didn’t say anything. Crap, did he hang up on me already? I lifted the phone off my ear and took a look at the screen. The call was still ongoing. I immediately placed it back on my ear. “Yah! Don’t you dare hang up on me, arrasseo!” By this point, I’m just trying to say whatever is on my mind so he won’t end the call yet. I frantically searched around the area. I stopped at a cross walk, waiting for the light to change to the pedestrian logo.

Song #3: Stardust- Music Sounds Better With You (giraffage remix)

That was when I saw him as I looked across the street. There he stood, at the opposite end of the crosswalk. He was looking at me as well. Is that why he’s not speaking on the phone? We both exchanged eye contact and the conversation over the phone has already been forgotten. We stayed like that, as if the world stopped for us as we stare in silence. The crosswalk then changed its light and pedestrians began to cross the street. I wanted to run over to him instantly, but at the same time I was scared. All the words I wanted to say to him earlier have disappeared from my mind. All I can sense within me now is fear. What if… What if that stalker sees me with him? Will they harm Taehyun instead? Should I just run away now that I know he’s safe? The last thing I want is to put him in danger.

I didn’t know how long I stayed put in that spot, but when I snapped back into reality, Taehyun was not within my sight anymore. I panicked. Turning around in all directions, I started scanning for him but he was nowhere to be found. “Yah! Nam Tae-“ I clasped my hand over my mouth before I finished the sentence. Damn it, I can’t even say his name out loud. “Are you still there? I know you’re listening so why aren’t you replying me?” After I crossed to the other side, I still couldn’t find him. Was it just my imagination acting up? “Where the heck are you?”

“Why do you need to see me anyways? Can’t you just tell me over the phone?”

He finally spoke! I was happy to hear his voice again, but at the same time, worried about what to reply him. I stopped walking and kicked a pebble on the side walk. “Um, can’t I see you first then tell you?”

“I’m hanging up if you’re not saying anything in three… Two…”

“Okay. Fine, jeez…” I paused and sat down on a bench when I entered the same park I went with Bom unnie a few days ago. “Aish… Nevermind, I can’t do it.”

“Oh come on, stop wasting my precious time.”

“Precious time? You should be at the studio recording right now, stupid!”

“If you’re not saying anything, I’m seriously going to hang up.” He seemed impatient now.

This is such a bad dilemma. I do want to tell him, but over the phone wasn’t what I expected. I wouldn’t know his reaction and response like this… This is so embarrassing… I’ve never confessed to a guy before but I guess there’s a first to everything? I hesitated but I figured I have to know the answer because the unknown is killing me. I rather ask him now than regret not asking him.

“Well, since you’re not talking I’ll just-“

“Wait!” I practically screamed out. “I… Um. I’m sorry that I fought with you this morning. I really am…”

“You called just to say that?”

“Um… Well I… I also want to say that… uh… I,” Come on, Yunju, just put your pride aside and throw your guts out and say it! “I like you!”

There was a moment of silence and then I heard him talk. “Come again?”

God damn it you jerk, I know you heard it the first time! I faked a cough and repeated myself once again. “I like you? A lot?” I squinted my eyes, not wanting to hear his response anymore. “Do… Do you like me?” I managed to quietly mumble out. This is such a FML situation. I can’t believe this is actually happening to me. Why did I have to ask him? I should’ve just ignored Seungyoon’s comment from this morning!

Then it hit me. Oh my… What if Seungyoon was just trolling me? IS THIS A TRAP ALL ALONG? WHAT IF HYEJIN AND SEUNGYOON TEAMED UP OR SOMETHING?

All of a sudden I hear laughter. Oh gosh this is so embarrassing! He must be laughing his head off at my confession now. Thank goodness he’s not here after all or I really need to dig a hole and hide in it forever! I should probably just pretend I was kidding and hopefully he will forget about it.

“HA.HA.HA. I hope you had a good-“ I was cut off when I felt a presence abruptly sat down beside me on the same bench.  Who the heck sits so close to a stranger? My face turned pale and I gasped once I turned around. Taken aback, I jumped out of my seat and my phone slipped away from my hand at the same time. Luckily, the person caught it before my innocent phone was able to hit the ground. My jaw dropped and I blinked my eyes numerously, for the person in front of me was the one on the phone with me moments ago.

 “Jeez, stop dropping your phones woman!” He said casually, leaning back on the bench.

Crap, I didn’t expect this to happen. A cold sweat is breaking out and I feel my face burning up from redness already.

“Dude! Where were you? You were here all along?” Somehow, I was able to spit out my words coherently.

He shrugged and continued gaping at me. I wish I learnt teleportation, for this is the most uncomfortable and embarrassing moment in my life!

“What! Omo, I can’t believe this!” I said as I paced myself around in a circle. Maybe I should just run for it! I was about to sprint down the street but as if Taehyun has already guessed my next move, he grabbed onto my arm and pulled me back onto the bench.

“You’re not going anywhere.”

I moved myself to the furthest corner on the bench, trying to keep our distance away from each other.

“Well, I’m here now. What is it that you want to tell me then? It seemed important.” I stole a glance at him and he is giving me that signature smirk of his. I instantly looked away, not saying anything because my mind is practically blank at that moment.

Taehyun readjusted his posture on his seat. “So, did you actually mean what you said over the phone just now?”

“Oh, that. HA HA. Well you see, it was just a joke!” I tried saying it as indifferently as I can. However, a few strangers began staring at us. Why doesn’t Taehyun wear disguise when he’s out?? Does he want to earn attention from fan girls or what?

Taehyun gave me a disapproving look and screamed out, “Are you serious? I thought you were speaking the truth!” Suddenly, a few girls recognized him and suddenly walked up to us, well to Taehyun more specifically, and began fan girling all over him.

“Taehyun oppa!!!” This one girl began bawling her eyes out on the side walk while her friend jumped up and down, clapping her hands and covering her face at the same time. Is she in a bad hallucination or something?

Taehyun seemed surprised. “How do they know it’s me?”

“Duh.” I replied. “You’re not even in disguise lame .”

The girls attracted even more people to huddle around us. Crap, I’ve never been in a situation like this before! Taehyun looked lost too. Sajangnim is going to be pissed if he found out Taehyun is out here in the public when he’s supposed to be recording in the studio! Even worse, what if they snap another photo of us together?!

I stealthily looked over at Taehyun when I realize he returned the same look. We nodded at each other. Wow, are we communicating through our minds right now? I tilted my head to my right and he nodded. With my fingers, I signaled one, two, three and right on cue, we both got out of our seat and ran for our dear life down the street and into numerous alleyways, trying to lose the fangirls who were chasing right behind us.

Song #4: Coldplay- Strawberry Swing *repeat this song till end of chapter*

“Stupid Tae-jerk, why aren’t you wearing a cap or something?!” I complained, trying to run as fast as I can.

“I didn’t know people would recognize me!” He screamed out, running few feet in front of me.

Oh God, I think I’m losing it. My legs are almost giving up on me but I clenched my teeth and rushed through another corner with Taehyun’s lead.

“Slow… Down… I’m so tired!” I managed to spit out. Taehyun looked back at me to grab my hand and pulled me inside a small coffee shop. Once we entered, the cashier greeted us warmly while we ducked underneath a long table and tried to hide there. I’m crossing my fingers that those girls won’t come in.

“Hey you two, what are you doing??” The shop owner asked agitatedly. “Get out if you’re not buying anything!”

Look who’s talking! This coffee shop looks old and moldy, shouldn’t he treat his customers a little nicer? I tried to signal to him to stay quiet with a finger to my lips making a ‘shhh’ sound. I hear the owner’s footsteps coming closer towards our table. I quickly took my wallet out and flicked out a bill over to him. He bent down, gave us a look, and picked up the bill. “Fine, you two can only stay here for one minute though then you must leave.”

“Five minutes!” I began to bargain.

“No can do.” Angrily, I took out another bill and Taehyun also emptied all the change in his pockets. We gave it to the greedy owner. “Fine, five minutes.” He finally gave us the approval.

Taehyun and I sighed in relief. We sat cross legged beside each other. It was then when I took a good look at him today and he looked just as amazing as always. I automatically lifted his hood up from his hoodie and pulled it over his head. “I think you gotta wear it like this, Jinwoo style.” I said, zipping up the knot.

He grinned. “I guess I should.” I smiled at him and we shared a light hearted laugh.

As our laughter died down though, the awkwardness from earlier started to hit me again. I began playing with my fingers. I bit my lips and used my courage to look up at him. Taehyun stared back at my orbs innocently.

Dang it, why does he have to do that? The last thing I want is for him to look at me that way, as if our proximity wasn’t close enough already. “Why do I always get in trouble when I’m with you?” Although he didn’t reply me, he had an expression on his face that I have never seen before. What is he thinking? Did he already guess that I wasn’t kidding about my confession? I wasn’t sure. I just continued looking at him and he did the same. Why is his stare so intense…

Just then, the door of the coffee shop opened and I immediately recognized the voices of the girls earlier.  Taehyun and I stared at each other in disbelief. We didn’t know they would actually come in here!

“EH!! I swear I saw them come in!!” One of them spoke up.

The other girl marched up to the cashier area. “Ajusshi, did you see anyone come in just now?”

“What are you talking about?” He said.  

“It was a guy and a girl!” The girl continued to urge the owner.

“Look missy, if you’re not buying anything then shoo!!” He angrily replied.

WHEW!! I guess the money did the trick!

The girls looked disheartened and walked over to her friend. “Fine, let’s go. Maybe I’m just seeing things. Let’s check out the stores next door.” After that, they walked out of the store.

I finally let out the breath that I was holding in after the two left. Taehyun also looked relieved as he finally relaxed his posture. We eventually got up to leave, bowing down at the owner before we exited the shop.

We aimlessly walked around the neighbourhood in silence. I sneaked a peek at him but he simply had his hands in his pockets and his head faced downwards. Hmm, what’s he up to? He’s not usually THIS quiet. Taehyun then suddenly covered my head with the hood of my jacket. “Yah! Why did you do that? I don’t need to be in disguise!”

Without replying, he pulled me into an empty alleyway. My back bumped against the wall and I hissed in pain. “There, why don’t you continue what you needed to tell me?” He crossed his arms over his chest and stared at me.

Oh no. I didn’t know he’s going to do this! He must be having so fun teasing me now. “I uh…”

“Were you actually joking?” He asked calmly.

I shook my head with my eyes facing down. I didn’t dare to look up at him. I hear him sigh and my heart dropped. Man, I should have known it was a bad idea. Maybe I should just explain everything. “I-“

All of a sudden, he gave me a hug. Shocked, I stood there, trying not to make any sounds. Is he simply trying to console me? I pouted. Here I am, confessing to this jerk that I don’t even know why I like so much and here he is trying to act nice so he’s giving me a hug? I began tearing up and I’m starting to pity myself. Why is my life so miserable after I met him? I stayed put and I began to hate myself a little more. I can’t say I’m not enjoying this. But it really isn’t helping if he doesn’t like me yet he’s hugging me right now!

He eventually pulled apart and began wiping away the tears that are shamelessly rolling down my face.

“Why are you crying?” He gave me the most confusing expression ever.

“I don’t know!” I blurted out truthfully. “Oh my God, don’t even give me that look. Okay, go ahead, laugh all you want! You can tell everyone that I like you and now you actually have a legitimate reason to tease me-“ I looked at Taehyun who is laughing at me. “You’re so mean, at least be a gentleman and not laugh right in front of me!”

My outburst was interrupted when Taehyun brought both his hands up and caressed my face. Then he proceeded to lean in and pecked my lips ever so softly. I blinked. What the heck is happening? It felt so good and seemed like it would go on for eternity. So… Is this some kind of goodbye kiss then?

Taehyun pulled away and locked his gaze with mine. A shy smile appeared across his face. “I’ve always wanted to do that.”

I tilted my head to one side. “What? Teasing me? Oh you’ve done that multiple times.”

“No.” He rolled his eyes and flicked his fingers on my forehead. “I meant kissing you, silly.”

My eyes widened and I gasped. “OH. YOU! YOU…” Does that mean our feelings are mutual? Does he like me too?

He nodded. “I like you too.” It almost seemed like he knew what I was thinking..

“Oh my…” I almost choked on my own breath. “You… YAH!” Why was I so stupid? Maybe if I waited longer then he would’ve confessed first!  I was pouting but it somehow turned into a smile. He returned an equally bright grin. Is this actually happening? Is this real life? I couldn’t help myself but to tackle his lips again. HELL YEAH! HE’S MINE NOW! I pulled away though and put him into a headlock. “Yah, Nam Taehyun, if you ever tease or bully me again, don’t be complaining if I hurt you!”

“A- Arrasseo!” He spit out and I released him. I guess we didn’t know what to do afterwards but we simply snickered shyly at each other. Finally, Taehyun held out his hand and grabbed mine before we walked away from the empty alley and into the busy streets again.

Thank goodness for our hoodie disguise because I don’t plan on releasing his grip any time soon.

 

---

Author's Note:

HELL YEAH FOR THE NEW COUPLE! WOOT WOOT! *throws confetti around* 

but yeah... no one knows who that mysterious stalker is yet... hehehe... 

and yes... i knowi listen to the most random music ever, from kpop to jpop to edm and then english... haha its all over the place! anyways, how'd you all like the chapter with songs?