First Meeting

My Number One Fan

It was not magic the first time they met. It was just mere coincidence. CL was on the peak of her career when she met Seungri, a barista, at a small cafe in Seoul.

 

"I can still remember your facial expression the first time you saw me in that cafe where you worked," CL said.

 

"Oh really? How did I look like?" Seungri asked.

 

"You looked as babo as this," CL said as she slightly opened , as if about to drool, imitating Seungri on their first meeting.

 

"Hey, I did not look like that! I looked like this," Seungri bit his lips as if he just saw a y woman passing by.

 

"No, you're not! You wouldn't even show how attracted you are to me because you were too shy back then. How come you changed babe?" She joked.

 

"Because you're the baddest female. I should show my bad side, too," he said.

 

CL jokingly slapped his shoulder upon mentioning it. "Ya! Don't bring that up. I know where this conversation is heading if you continue that."

 

"If you're not getting comfortable, do you want to go to the bedroom and talk there? It's okay if..."

 

And another slap on his shoulder. For the two of them, it was always fun to reminisce their first meeting.

 

---------------

 

It was autumn of 2011 when Chaerin first stepped at a newly built cafe at Hongdae. She was wearing a black turtle neck top, black jeans and boots, a red coat and sunglasses. It has already been her trademark to wear sunglasses even if it is not that sunny outside.

 

"One tall cup of hot Americano, please. To-go," she said at the barista wearing a black cap that has 2NE1's logo in it.

 

"Okay. Your name, Miss?" The barista asked while preparing himself to write something on the cup.

 

"Chae."

 

"Jae?"

 

"It is Chae. Ts-ae. Not Dy-ae," she corrected him, but he still wrote Jae on the cup instead of Chae.

 

Chaerin sat on a tall chair while waiting for her order. She wondered, "If not for the 2NE1 cap he's wearing, I will not forgive him for spelling my name wrong. Is it that hard to spell Chae? Well yeah, CL is easier to spell, but it will be harder if YG-nim will cast a spell on me, or worse, curse me, once he knew that I came here alone. Ugh. Never mind."

 

"Here's one tall cup of Americano for Miss..."

 

The barista felt short for words after realizing that his customer was Chae--as in Lee Chaerin aka CL from his favorite K-Pop girl group of all time, 2NE1. His mouth slightly opened because of shock and embarrassment combined as he recognized her even with her sunglasses on.

 

"Chae..."

 

He was about to place the order at her table until he decided to go back to the counter.

 

"Wait a moment, Miss Chae. I will... just... uhm... wait, please."

 

He took a new cup, this time a Grande one, and wrote her name correctly. As a fan, it was embarrassing for him if he would spell the name of his idol wrong, especially when he admittedly heard her correct him earlier. He made a new order to make up for what he did which, he was sure, Chae would like.

 

He returned to her table and said, "Here's your Grande cup of Americano, Miss Chae." He bowed and then said, "I am sorry if I spelled your name wrong. I swear I won't do it again. Come again next time." He was just staring at the floor the whole time he said those words.

 

"But I ordered a Tall one, not..."

 

"No worries, Miss Chae. It is part of our rules that if we make a mistake in our customer's orders, we are entitled to upsize the order." Although the truth is, it wasn't. He was just making an excuse.

 

"So how much should I pay for it?"

 

In a serious tone, he said, "Since I am a certified Blackjack since your debut in 2009, I will let you have it for free."

 

"Really?" She asked, delighted.

 

"Yes, but only for now, Miss Chae. Nice meeting you," he bowed again.

 

"You are a silly barista," she giggled. "Thank you for the upsize then. What's your name again?"

 

"Me?" He said, shocked. He suddenly lifted up his head and looked sideways just to make sure that he was the one that Chae was referring to. Chae was just looking at him, smirking because of his goofiness.

 

"I am Seungri. Nice to meet you, Miss Chae," he said and bowed for the third time.

 

"Soongi? Okay, nice to meet you, Soongi. Thanks again." She stood up and left.

 

When Seungri heard the door closed, he lifted his head up again, looked at the leaving Chae from a distance and whispered, "It is not Soongi. It is... Seungri." His mouth was left opened, as if about to drool.