Unbeknownst Advances

28 Steps

“This place is beautiful, Suho,” Minji said while looking out at the vast city. Suho had taken her out to the balcony of the penthouse. She could hear the horns from the cars down below blasting at each other and the lights shining through the treetops.

“If you think this is nice, you should see my beachfront in the Bahamas. You can see the pristine blue waters of the ocean for miles. It’s gorgeous.”

Minji had a hot flash when she heard “beachfront.” He was too rich.

When they were sitting on the couch, Suho explained how he met Kai and Kris. Apparently they were in some sort of group when they were younger, he didn’t specify why or what they were doing.

“They called me the mother,” Suho explained, watching the flamenco dancers he’d hired for the party, “but I don’t think I was that was mothering to them. They were all just really stupid and I kept them from hurting themselves. I still deal with the fools today. I guess I love them too much to let them go.”

Now they stood out in the cold, watching the tiny cars pass by.

“What happened to Kai? I haven’t seen him since the party began,” Minji asked.

“The poor thing passed out on my bed thirty minutes into the party. They’re overworking him at that wretched company of his.”

“They are wretched. Kai works so hard for such little pay. I see it every day.”

Suho raised his eyebrows. “Are you his girlfriend?”

Minji shook her head. “No, I just work with him.”

“Ah. He was talking about some girl who he liked while he was halfway asleep. Said he gave her his chicken. He must have been dreaming; he would never give up chicken.”

Minji smiled at the mention of their encounter. She never knew that fried chicken meant that someone adored another. Minji became flustered at the thought that Kai liked her, but she tried not get too excited over a man’s musings while he dreamed.

“Are you in a relationship?”

Minji on a cube of ice. “y, free, and single.”

Suho smiled and took Minji’s hand into his own and kissed it. “Well, I sure am glad to know that you’re not taken. I would love to get to know you a little more.”

Minji grinned and placed her hand by her side and continued to look out into the sky. She had always been completely oblivious to a man’s advances.

 


The next morning Minji woke up at Hyoyeon’s house, lying on her couch. Her back was stiff and sore from sleeping on the hard foam. The night before, Minji drove Hyoyeon home since she was too drunk to operate anything. Luckily Hyoyeon weighed only a couple of pounds and was easy to carry into the house. Minji stayed to make sure she didn’t do anything to hurt herself or anyone else since the night before she tried to attack some poor party goer with a katana Suho had on his wall.

Minji sat up and reached towards her toes, trying to stretch her back. Eventually she got up and went to Hyoyeon’s kitchen to eat all her food.

“Why did I drink so much?” Hyoyeon moaned from her bedroom. Minji sighed and unwrapped a pop tart and walked to Hyoyeon’s room.

Hyoyeon laid halfway on her bed, with her head hanging off the side. She wore pink boy shorts with sequined, red hearts on each cheek and a shirt that read, “Tell me your wish,” in large bubble letters on the back.

“Bread, I need bread,” Hyoyeon mumbled.

Minji offered her half eaten pop tart. “Will a pop tart suffice?”

Hyoyeon groaned and slid out of her bed and onto the floor. She begged for a loaf of bread and a bottle of beer. Minji came back with the bread.

“It’s like killing fire with fire,” Hyoyeon pleaded.

“You can’t drink more alcohol to combat the alcohol currently in your system.”

Minji and Hyoyeon fought about the effectiveness of drinking more alcohol when you’re hungover when the doorbell rang. Hyoyeon didn’t move from the floor and demanded that Minji open the door. She silently consented and dragged herself to the door. She looked out the peephole to see a tall figure standing outside.

“Seriously?” Minji moaned quietly to herself. She ran to Hyoyeon’s bedroom, “Why is Kai here?”

“He lives next door to me,” Hyoyeon sighed. “He probably locked himself out of his house again.”

“How does he lock himself out?”

“I don’t know; he’s kind of dumb, but the spare key is in my dresser.”

She quickly found an extra toothbrush and brushed her teeth while washing her face, and putting on eyeliner and moisturizer. Minji used to dance professionally; she was skilled in the art of preparing herself in less than a minute.

Minji walked to the front door and threw the hairbrush she had been using down on the couch. She opened the door to see Kai’s face of puzzlement then amusement. “Minji, you’re everywhere.”

“Yeah, it’s really convenient that we are always in the same place at the same time,” Minji noted. “It’s like we’re in a story or something.”

Minji explained Hyoyeon's current state. Kai understood and, as expected, asked for the extra key. Minji went back into the room and gave it to him. Kai clutched it in his hands and seemed to be thinking about something.

“Minji? Can I ask you something?”

“Yeah, what’s the matter?”

Kai looked up at the ceiling and sighed. “It’s nothing. Just tell Hyoyeon that beer won’t help her case.” Kai pointed at Hyoyeon sneaking in fridge, beer in hand.

Kai excused himself while Minji went to tend to Hyoyeon. She wondered what Kai wanted to ask her as she snatched the beer out of Hyoyeon’s hand.