/ writing style: mood & tone [dialogue]

☆ Hallucinated Dreams Reviews + Writing Advice ☆ Closed ☆
 

Are you unsure about how you can express certain feelings through dialogue?

Well, look no further. Here's the guide to writing unique and emotive dialogue!


// CONTENTS PAGE:
1.1 Unique Speaking Manners
1.2 Emotive Dialogue

// 1.1 UNIQUE SPEAKING MANNERS:

There are several ways to make your characters 'unique'. One way is to actually give them their own speaking manners. E.g.:

Loud, boisterous and friendly people are more informal in tone. They also tend to be humourous, although their sense of humour may vary from person to person.

Calm, mature and sophisticated people are more formal in tone. They may not make weird jokes as much as loud, boisterous and friendly people do.

Giving quirks to the characters will also help the readers to differentiate between them. For instance, there may be a cheerful and adorable girl named A. Every time something awful has happened, she may have the tendency to express her upsetness through a small 'aw'. It's just a single expression, but if A is the only character in the story who uses it, it can have a huge relation to her character.


// 1.2 EMOTIVE DIALOGUE:
Other than describing the expressions and actions, dialogue is another way to express the emotions of a character. That's why the words that the character used should have a special impact. Formatting and punctuation are also play a very significant part. Here are examples how you can write emotive dialogue:

Scenario A: A and B were a couple. However, it is later discovered that B is cheating on A with C, A's best friend.

A: "H-How can you do this to me, C?" - Conveys a sense of betrayal, disappointment and anger. Note: Effective dialogue can convey more than one emotion. Also, this dialogue makes use of stuttering as well as italics tgo convey emphasis.

C: "Well, it's not like you've been a great girlfriend yourself, haven't you?" - Conveys a sense of self-righteousness.

Scenario B: D's mom is dying.

D: "Don't leave me yet, Mom! I still want to go on a holiday with you. I still want to listen to your nagging. I still want to eat the meals you've always prepared for me..." - Conveys a sense of desperation and regret. Exclamation mark and ellipsis is used to signify desperation.

D: "M-Mom? Are you still there?" - Conveys a sense of hope.

Scenario C: E has been caught fighting in school. E's mom is enraged.

E's mom: "Why must you always make me worry like this, huh? Why can't you stop those itchy hands of yours? Why must you always cause trouble for your old mother? Tell me, E, why?" - Conveys a sense of exasperation through incessant questions.

E's mom: "I give up on you! From now on, you're no longer my son!" - The peak when the anger finally accummulates and explodes.

Scenario D: F has gotten first in class. 

F: "I can't believe it! For the first time in my whole life, I've actually gotten first! Can you believe it, man?" - Conveys a sense of disbelief as well as joy.

As seen from the above examples, formatting is important to place emphasis on certain words and punctuation is significant to make the readers feel certain emotions. Accompanied with just the right words, you'll get a perfect piece of effective dialogue.

 


ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Woo! This chapter took me some time to complete because I had a dilemma of how I would go about dialogue. Anyway, that's it for Writing Style: Part I! Next up is Part II where we'll go down to the more nitty-gritty part of things.