The Collaboration

Night Sky

The seven ladies were rehearsing for their stages in the upcoming performances at the three Gayo festivals. They were having a short water break when their CEO comes in the practice room and gives them the news: they will have a special stage for SBS Gayo Daejun and it will be with a boy group.

Sera was excited with the news. “Who’s it going to be with?”

“The group is to be announced yet, but you will be working with your previous composer, Sweetune, for this stage as well. I’ll tell you as soon as the group is confirmed,” the CEO said.

“Thank you, CEO,” the muses chorused as the CEO left the practice room.

“Who is it going to be?” Kyungri asked as she sat down beside Hyuna.

“It could be anyone,” Minha who was passing by said with her cute smirk.

“I hope they’re cute,” Hyuna said with a playful grin to Kyungri.

Kyungri just grinned back, but it was just as playful.

“Okay, from the top,” Sera, still acting as the leader, announced.

***

A few days later, and the muses were as usual singing and dancing in their practice room when their manager disrupted their rehearsal.

“The CEO wants to see you girls,” he simply said.

Hyemin, better known as Euaerin or Erine, turned off the music as the other girls hastily wiped their sweat and filed out of the room, following their manager.

As they entered the CEO’s office, Hyuna nudged Kyungri’s side. “I think we’ll know who we’re working with now,” she said with the smile not unlike the one she gave her earlier that week.

“Hello, ladies,” the CEO greeted them as they took their seats on the sofas in his office.

“Hello, CEO,” the girls greeted back.

“I have mentioned to you earlier this week about your special stage for SBS Gayo Daejun. I called you here because the boy group you’ll be working with has been confirmed.”

“Who is it?” Hyemi asked, rather too eagerly.

“Do you know the Last Romeos?” the CEO paused. "Infinite," the CEO said with a smile. “You will be rehearsing here as two groups soon, as their practice room is rather small for your number.”

The girls looked at one another, of disbelief or excitement or a bit of both.

“They are cute. Charming, too,” Hyuna whispered to Kyungri with that playful smile on both of their faces.

***

It was a Tuesday, and the song is to be introduced to the ladies of Nine Muses and the gentlemen of Infinite. They will begin rehearsing their parts, to determine whose voices will match the part. It was going to be a long day, but as idols, they are used to it. However, it is the first time for these two groups to collaborate, so there is the air of excitement as they enter the vocal training room.

When the two groups were finally present inside the training room, they introduced themselves. Nine Muses being two months junior to Infinite, greeted first.

“Hello, we are Nine Muses,” said the girls in unison as they bowed down.

“Hello, we are Infinite,” the boys introduced themselves, bowing in a similar fashion.

Sweetune then started business as they introduced the song to the groups. They will be performing a song called Night Sky. Sweetune composed the hit songs that won both Nine Muses and Infinite awards in music shows that year. And like their songs, Night Sky features the electric guitar that Sweetune’s music is known for, and is composed especially for Nine Muses and Infinite for their special stage. The song is about the love that was formed under the beauty of the moon and the stars in the night sky.

After hearing a demo recording of the song, the two groups agreed that it was a wonderful song. It has this distinct Sweetune sound the two groups are accustomed to from working previously with the composer, but it also sounds special as it was a sort of duet, but with two groups.

It was obvious who was going to get the rapping parts - Nine Muses’ rapping queen Erine and Infinite’s rapping duo Hoya and Dongwoo will rap alternately in a somewhat answering each other manner. The vocal lines of each group, Nine Muses’ Sera, Hyuna, Hyemi and Kyungri, and Infinite’s Sunggyu, Woohyun, and L, will do the main vocals of the song, while the remaining members, Infinite’s Sungyeol and Sungjong and Nine Muses’ Sungah and Minha will provide additional vocals.

It took them a while to match the voices of the two groups. It was a relief that there were seven members each as this made things easier. The song was composed of three verses, a chorus, two rap verses, and a bridge. Sweetune made sure that each member from both groups have at least two lines, as the composer knows that everyone in the group can sing and needs their spotlight as well.

After two days, the pairings were finalized, as well as most of the parts of the song. The members with the finalized parts were already rehearsing, while the muses Sera, Hyuna, and Kyungri, and the Romeos Sunggyu, Woohyun, and L are still in the recording room. They are still deciding who will do the first two choruses and the bridge. They all tried the parts, but Kyungri thought the bridge was not for her and L.

“How about L and I do the first chorus?” Kyungri suggested.

L looked at Kyungri as she looked back. L said, “Yeah, and Sunggyu hyung and Woohyun hyung can do either the second chorus or the bridge.”

Han Jaeho, part of the Sweetune duo, considered this for a moment and then agreed, “Okay then. I was actually considering that you two take care of one of the choruses, but I wasn’t sure which. Yes, the transition from Sungjong and Minha to the two of you would be good.” He gave them two thumbs up.

Kyungri and L looked at each other and beamed. Kyungri then gave Hyuna a smile.

“Okay, so for the second chorus and the bridge. Why don’t the pairs try singing those parts and let’s see.”

As Kyungri and L got their parts finalized, they headed to the vocal training room to rehearse. The other members were left in the recording studio. Sera and Sunggyu first did the second chorus and Woohyun and Hyuna did the bridge. For the second try, Woohyun and Hyuna sang the first chorus and Sera and Sunggyu the bridge. Sweetune recorded the two trials, and they all listened to the two versions.

Woohyun looked at Hyuna as she was listening intently to the playing recording of the first trial. He was looking just as intently.

Kyungri was passing by the recording room when she saw Woohyun staring at Hyuna. She stopped to look at that sight and smiled. She then walked past the recording room and back to the vocal training room where she and L are practicing for the first chorus.

***

It was late in the afternoon, but the decision was not yet made. Infinite has to go back to their own studio to rehearse for their solo stage, and Nine Muses also has to rehearse for their own.

Kyungri was about to enter the practice room when Hyuna saw her and quickly caught up to her. “Hey,” Hyuna said as she reached Kyungri.

The five other members were already in the middle of the room when they entered, so they quickly left whatever things they have on the floor by the door and joined the rest of the group and started dancing to their first winning song.

After three rounds, the muses took a break. Hyuna came to Kyungri who was drinking water and said, “Looks like you and L are getting along well.” She smiled and playfully nudged her.

Almost spitting the water she drank, Kyungri retorted, “Look who’s talking. I think someone’s got a huge crush on you.” She poked Hyuna on the side.

“Huh, what?” Hyuna was apparently oblivious to Woohyun staring at her earlier.

“Woohyun was staring at you at the recording room,” Kyungri teased.

“Huh, what?” There was still doubt in her voice. She is not believing what Kyungri is saying.

“I said Woohyun was staring at you at the recording room. I think I saw him look at you earlier multiple times, but I think those were just quick glances. But when I was passing by the recording room, I’m sure he was staring at you. He might have even drooled.”

Hyuna laughed at Kyungri’s drool joke. Then they heard Sera calling them for another round.

“I’m telling you, he likes you,” Kyungri said as they walked back to the center of the room.