Orders and Decisions

Vengeful Romance
Please log in to read the full chapter

Her little brother began to rub his eyes again. He blinked really hard then roughly rubbed them. “Maru,” Mani called and the boy looked at her, “Are you okay?”

“My eye’s irritating me again.” He stopped rubbing it then pulled on his eyelid. “It’s beginning to get dark again like last time.” Maru looked at his older sister, “Will I lose my eyesight in my right eye too?” he asked as he plopped his shades on the bridge of his nose.

Mani walked to her little brother and hugged him. When he was just two years old, his vision in his left eye was gradually going away. By the time he was six, he had completely lost his sight in the same eye. Now the boy was fifteen and it seems like time was going to repeat itself again. “Never. I will never let you lose your vision. You haven’t even seen a quarter of the world yet, I refuse to have your vision be taken from you.” She held him out then looked at him in the eyes, “Okay?”

Maru nodded his head, “Okay.”

She nodded, “Good, now go wake up Yongguk and Yongnam-sshi. It’s time for school.” The younger nodded then went in the direction of their rooms.

She walked down the hall then knocked on the door. “Young miss, it’s time to wake up for school,” she called. A groan could be heard followed by a loud, “No!” Mani twisted the knob and entered, “Nayong-sshi, it’s time to wake up. We’ve got exams today.”

“!” the woman exclaimed vulgariously. She lifted up her head from the pillow and looked at the young girl, “What time is it?”

“It is 6:45 AM, Nayong-sshi.”

The girl plopped her head back in her bed, “I told you to call me Natasha,” she loudly said in the pillow. She held her arm up and Mani took it and helped her up. “I hate that name so much. , I want to kill it.” Natasha grumbled as she tied her hair up.

Mani lightly laughed at her master’s behavior. “Breakfast will be served downstairs. Don’t be late before Madam chastises you again.”

Natasha narrowed her eyes at the younger, “How old are you again, Mani?”

“I will be turning nineteen on the 12 of July, young miss.”

Natasha scoffed in amazement, “You’re only a few months younger than my brothers yet you speak like you’ve been working with the king for ages.” She stretched out her arms and Mani couldn’t help but notice the permanent ink running across her shoulders.

“Did you get a tattoo, young miss?” she asked.

“Drop the young miss and insert Natasha, sheesh. And yes but it’s not done yet. My boyfriend is still working on it.” She turned her back to Mani and opened out her arms, “Do you like it?”

Mani carefully inspected the ink, “The roses and the texture of everything is flawless, Natasha-sshi. But now you should be getting ready before Madam comes and tells you herself.” She bowed then exited the room.


 

Boryun looked at the servants around the dining area then at her sons. “Im Mani,” she called at the young girl.

“Yes, Madam.”

“How are my sons doing in their academics?”

Mani glanced at the twins then at the woman. “Yongguk-sshi is doing excellent. He is currently ranking top of his economics class and is a superb student of the professor. And as for Yongnam-sshi,” she received a threatening glare from the man, “He’s...He’s failing but I am sure he can bring himself back up.”

Boryun raised her brow, “Is that so? Well, we better see some improvement from him before all of his luxurious items will be confiscated from him.” She looked at her son, “You got that, mister?”

Yongnam sipped his black coffee, “Yes, ma’am.”
 

“And where is Nayong?” Mani lowered her head. The woman loudly put her utensils down in frustration. “I asked you to wake her up yet she’s not up.” She slammed her hand on the table loudly, catching everyone’s attention. “Gosh darn it, Mani can you not do this simple, daily task?”

“I’m here, I’m here. Stop yelling at the poor girl.” Natasha ran down the stairs as she put on her blazer. She grabbed a piece of toast and winked at Maru, something she always did, “Thanks, kid.” He bowed his head in acceptance.

“Are you not going to eat breakfast? Don’t you all have exams today?” she said to her kids and her kids only. “You need all the brain food you can get.”

“Please,” she snobbishly scoffed, crumbs of toast spraying in the air, “with all this yelling it’ll be a miracle if either of us passes; including Mani.” She waved at Mani, “See ya, kiddo.”

Mani smiled until she saw her Madam’s unpleasant face. She cleared , “Yongguk and Yongnam-sshi, you two should be heading out now. I will clean up.”

Yongnam rowdily stood up and pushed the breakfast table with his leg. He glowered at Mani and grabbed his bag, swinging it over his shoulder. He left the house with a loud slam and drove off. Yongguk helped Mani gather the plates but was stopped by his mother.

“Go to school, she can do this on her own. The university awaits you, not some servant.”

He looked at Mani but she gave him an assuring grin. “Just go,” she whispered and he nodded. Everyone left the kitchen shortly after. Madam order for everything to be cleaned before Mani and Maru could head to school.

“Madam really scares me,” her younger brother confessed as they were cleaning up the dishes. “I know I should get used to it since we practically grew up with them, but she still scares me.”

“Shush with your words,” his mother chastised, “You should be grateful of the Bangs. Without them, we wouldn’t have food to eat, a home to live in, and an education for you two.”

“Where’s dad?” Mani asked as she wiped her hands on her apron. “Did he already head to work?” she asked as she took the clothing off her.

“Yes, he and Mr. Bang are having very special guests at the country club today.” The maid wiped the counters then looked at her children, “Go before you’re late. I can take care of the rest.”

Mani nodded then kissed her mom on the cheek, “Bye, don’t overwork yourself, okay? I love you, have a nice day.”

She smiled, “Love you too sweetheart.” Monae looked at her son then kissed him on the forehead, “Don’t stress your eyes too much today okay? Rest your head if you need to.”

The boy nodded, “I will, mom. Bye, I love you.”

“Good luck on your exams.” Monae handed each of her children a roll of kimbap. “If you get hungry, eat this before so you won’t struggle while testing.” They thanked their mother before leaving. Mani grabbed hers and Maru’s backpacks and walked out the door.

“Im Mani.”

She looked back and saw her Madam standing by the door with her arms crossed. Mani slipped the kimbap in the side of her backpack and ordered Maru to go ahead first. She briskly walked to the woman. “Yes, Madam?”

Boryun looked at her from head to toe, inspecting every part of the girl. From her soft, youthful face to her long, slender legs it was no doubt that Mani had definitely blossomed into a beautiful young woman. Unfortunately, her poor status was a shameful flaw of hers that tarnished everything. “Keep the distance between you and my son especially far. I don’t need anything more than a servant-boss relationship between you two, understand?”

Mani looked down, “Yes, Madam, I shall.” She bowed then walked to reach Maru. Once she exited the gate, she saw him standing by a glossy, black Bentley and the owner leaning on it. Mani sighed then walked towards them. “Why haven’t you gone yet?”

Yongguk shrugged, “I thought why not carpool together? Save time, right?” He shifted his head to his car, beckoning for them to get in.

Mani pulled her brother by the backpack. “Noona,” the younger groaned. She blinked for her brother to stop the complaining then turned to Yongguk. “Why did you wait for us? Now you’re going to be late.”

He grimaced, “The bus is too crowded and class starts late today. I thought it’d be nice since it’s been a while.”

“Thank you for your generous offer, Yongguk-sshi, but taking the bus will be just fine.” She pat her brother to walk towards the bus stop. “Why didn’t you listen to me and walk to the bus first? You know how upset Madam will be if we’re seen with Bang Yongguk-sshi.”

“I tried,” the younger said, trying to defend himself. “But he was so persistent I couldn’t. Plus he’s my boss; I can’t go against his words.”

“Im Mani, Im Maru.” Yongguk called then jogged to them. The two turned back. “Get in my car,” he slid their backpacks off their arms, “I’m taking you to school.”

“We can’t,” Mani protested, “Madam’s orders.” She tried to snatch their bags back but he was too fast for her to get.

Yongguk held their backpacks behind his back. “Get in the car–my orders,” he commanded then walked back to his car. He sat in then honked his horn, “Hurry up or Maru’s going to be late!”

Maru looked at his sister with a shrug then gladly walked in the backseat. Mani shut her eyes then walked to the car in defeat. Yongguk held the passenger door for her. She got in, “What if Madam sees?”

Yongguk walked to his side then got in, “So what if she finds out, I’ll deal with her.”

“But you and I are different. We suffer two type of consequences.”

“Well, she can’t do anything to you as long as I’m here.” He fixed his mirrors then turned to Maru, “All buckled up?”

The teen saluted to him, “Yes, sir.”

Yongguk grinned, “Let’s go then.”

Mani sighed then pulled down the seatbelt and clicked herself in. Trying to get Bang Yongguk to understand anything was completely useless.


 

After dropping her brother off, it was just them two together in the car. Yongguk noticed how she was more tense than usual. “Hey,” Yongguk asked poking her thigh, “What’s wrong? What was up with you today?”

“I think Madam is suspecting something,” she said with a worried tone. “She thinks there’s something between us.”

“What’s going on between us?” he asked seriously wanting to know. Perhaps this was her way of confessing to him.

“Before I came out, she pulled me aside to remind me to keep our relationship strictly servant-boss only.” She fumbled with her fingers, “I hope she doesn’t get the impression that we’re dating or anything.”

“What would be so bad about that?” He stopped the car, as they reached the university.

“What do you mean ‘what would be so bad about that’?”

“Im Mani, are you really that dense?” Yongguk scoffed. He unbuckled himself and grabbed his backpack from the back. He got out of the car and shut the door.

Mani followed him, “Yongguk, tell me.”

He turned around, “Are you really that oblivious to not know that I like you?” The girl stopped walking in her tracks. “Or are you just so stuck on following my mother’s orders that you forgot you have emotions as well?”

“Yongguk,” she softly called.

“You know Mani, we’ve known each other since we were seven. It’s kind of inevitable for one of us to like another.” She was still letting the information sink in. “I like you, Im Mani. I’ve liked you since–I don’t know–a very long time.” Mani remained silent and shame quickly overcame him. “Never mind everything I said. It was stupid.”

“Wait,” she stopped him before he could leave. “You’re not really good at lying–I’ve always known you liked me,” she admitted with a small smile. Her smile slowly faltered, “But we’ve reached the age where it’s dangerous for either one of us to fall in love, let alone date. I am merely just a worker for your family, Yongguk. Please remember that.”

He took her hand and held it, “But I don’t think of you as a worker, Mani. I think of you as a woman that I want to be with.”

She grinned in gratitude and placed her other hand on top of his. “Thank you. It means a lot to me that you think of me like that.” She removed her hands from his and reached for her backpack. She pulled out the roll of kimbap from and put it in his hands. “Do well and make your parents proud.” She tippy toed and kissed him on his forehead, “I believe in you.”

Yongguk stood there and watched her walk to her class. Letting everything process in his head from the kimbap to the kiss on the forehead, Yongguk felt that little spark in the core of his soul starts to rumble. He pressed his lips, trying to conceal his happiness. He opened the wrapping of the kimbap roll and popped one in his mouth as he walked to his class.

Meanwhile, Mani walked away with a heavy chest. She was feeling uneasy and anxious. She squeezed her eyes shut and hissed at herself. Instead of following orders, she let her heart impulsively decide for her.

Please log in to read the full chapter