Best Friends Forever?

Ever After

 

 

--

“That should be green not pink!” Soochan yelled as her best friend immediately wrapped his hand unto to shut her up.

“Lower your voice! People are staring!” Onew, Soochan’s ever BFF said as he glanced at the surroundings, giving a fake smile at the people staring at the both of you.

“Yeah right, now I don’t want to go to prom.” She blurted, removing the hand of her best friend.

“WHAT?? Just because your dress is pink you won’t go to prom? That’s really immature. I skipped soccer practice just to be with you here, I paid Jonghyun a million won (Korean money) just to be your prom partner and now you’re backing out?”

Showing a face of disappointment, you debated. “Onew, I thought you knew that I hate pink? And I’m kinda scared at Jonghyun. He’s undressing me with his seductive stare. Besides, prom isn’t that important to me.”

“Soochaniieee~ how am I be able to enjoy the prom without you? The prom is tonight and I badly need you.” He said as he sat next to her.

“Onew, it doesn’t matter if I won’t go. Your girlfriend will accompany you all night. Come on, let’s just go. We’re gonna be late for school.” She replied hazily as she walked away. Onew remained dumbfounded as he followed Soochan with his eyes. “Is she jealous?”

--

SCHOOL

SOOCHAN’S POV

“What is he thinking? I won’t go to the stupid prom. I’m not going to wear that stupid dress. And I’m not going out with that stupid Jonghyun. This is all stupid!” I released a heavy sigh as I rubbed my forehead in frustration. Just then, “Soochan!” I heard someone screaming my name at a distance, so I turned to see who it was. I saw a girl waving her hand.

“Soochan!” A girl with a hair tied like a bun called out again.

I knew it. I gave a smirk and waved back at her. She neared me and greeted me a good morning with a gleeful smile pasted on her face.

“Hey Sulli!”

“Hey, what’s up?” She asked me as we made our way to our classroom.

“I’m fine.” I replied in a plain voice.

She knew that something’s going on so she gave me an are-you-sure look. “No, you’re not. Come on, tell me. I knew if something’s bothering you, Soo.” Sulli insisted.

How can I say these to her? I don’t know the right words to explain to her that  I don’t want to go to prom just because I can’t stand seeing Onew with his girlfriend. I sighed and looked at the sturdy road were walking.

“Onew again?” Sulli asked, waiting for my reply.

I give up. Maybe it’s best to tell her the truth. Besides, she’s one of my best friends. I gave a small nod.

Sulli tapped my back to comfort me. “It’s okay Soo. If you love him that much, why don’t you tell him then?”

“It’s not that easy.”

“I know, but are you just going to keep that burden forever?”

“If that’s gonna make him happy then I shall keep it.”

END OF SOOCHAN’S POV

--

LATER THAT AFTERNOON

The bell rang for dismissal. Onew was leaning his head on his desk, sleeping. Disturbed by the bell, he slowly opened his eyes and rubbed his eyes. “Good luck for the prom tonight.” The teacher said bidding goodbye.

Onew immediately shove all the notebooks found on his desk and placed it inside his bag. He went straight to Soochan and approached her, “Hey.”

“Hey.” Soochan replied in a plain tone.

He raised a paper bag and shook it in front of her. “I’m still hoping you would come. That’s the green dress you like.”

“Onew, you don’t have to buy me dress.”

“But I want to.” He insisted.

“I’m not going to prom.”

“Please, please, please.”

‘Arggh. How could someone be so cute like him?’ She thought and took the paper bag from him. “Fine, whatever. Well, I gotta go.”

But before she could take another step, Onew grabbed her arm and gave her a hug. “You’re the best!”

Suddenly, “ONEW!” He heard his name echoed in the hollowed classroom so he pulled his body away from the hugged and turned around and saw Jessica looking at the both of you.

“Let’s go!” Jessica demanded and went out of the room, leaving Onew behind.

“Bye Soo. See you tonight.” He said, catching up with Jessica.

You sighed and became weak all of a sudden. Heh—Jealous?

--

PROM

It has been two hours since the prom started. You seemed to be focusing at the people dancing in the middle of the dance floor. You sighed in exasperation, feeling sorry for yourself. You gazed at Jonghyun eating beside you and looked back again at the individual dancing in the middle of the hall.

“Do you think I’m cool?” Jonghyun asked out of the blue.

“Honestly?”

Jonghyun nodded as he took a bite from his chocolate cake.

“No.”

“Good. Now I know I’m hot.” Jonghyun laughed at his own joke.

Soochan chuckled sarcastically. “Oh God, shoot me.” You grumbled at your mind as you rolled your eyes.

Just then you saw a teacher went up the stage. She cleared and grabbed the mic. “May I have your attention please?” The music stopped and the spotlight turned to the teacher in front. “We have a unanimous decision.  The prom queen is, Jung Jessica.” All the students clapped their hands as Jessica made her way to the stage to retrieve her crown. “The prom king is, Lee Onew.” The claps gradually became louder and the music started to play. “May we request the prom queen and king to have their formal dance.”

The students cleared the hall as Onew and Jessica made their way in the middle of the dance floor.

“You look good tonight.” Onew complimented while dancing with his girlfriend.

“Thank you.” Jessica blushed, flattered by the words she heard.

“Have you seen Soochan? She looks good too right? The dress suits her well.” Onew blurted, stealing glances at Soochan.

Jessica’s smile faded away as she heard Soochan’s name. “Her again?” Are there times that you don’t think or mention her when were together?” Jessica asked, feeling angry and sad at the same time. “Everytime you see her, tell me, did your heart skipped a beat?”

Onew remained silent, lowering in shame.

“I don’t want to see you talking to her or even seeing her.” Jessica demanded.

“Please don’t make me choose between the two of you.”

--

SOOCHAN’S POV

I can see Key is really happy with her. I should stop loving him. Should I smile coz’ were friends? Or should I cry coz’ that’s all we’ll ever be? (hihi. Diri ku nga quote naka kwa idea sa story.) I shouldn’t have come.

END OF POV

--

Tears started to form from her eyes and decided to leave.  Onew noticed Soochan leaving the hall and paused from dancing.

“Wait, I’ll be back.” Onew said, leaving Jessica on the dance floor and followed Soochan outside.

But before he could take another step, Jessica exclaimed, “Now I know who your choice is.”

Hearing this, Onew hesitated to go, but still he followed Soochan outside. He dashed out of the sliding door and yelled, “SOOCHAN! WAIT!”

Soochan looked at him for the last time before entering the taxi cab. “Ahjussi (mister), let’s get out of here.” She said at the driver with tears forming in her eyes. She slammed the door of the taxi and started crying. She can see her best friend at the side mirror, running, hoping to the catch the taxi.

“Soochan!!” screamed Onew.

Jessica followed Onew and saw him standing in the middle of the road. “I can be ecstatic—together with you. I can have that happy ending I’m wishing for, but all I get was your heart beating for her. It’s damn painful.”

Onew turned around to face Jessica.

“But if I let you go—I will end up in endless despair and sadness.”

“What are you talking about?” he asked.

“Do you know what date tomorrow is, Onew?” Jessica asked. Onew shook his head in disagreement. Jessica laughed in between tears. “It’s our first anniversary Onew.” Onew was shocked that he forgot the most important date of all.

“I’m not a good boyfriend to you. I’m sorry. I guess…

…I love her, Jessica.”

“I know, and I’m going to give you the gift that I’m sure you won’t regret.” Jessica told him as he looked at her with curiosity. “I’m letting you go.” Jessica started to cry again.

“Can I—can I have a hug?” Onew requested. Jessica leaned over him and gave him a tight hug. “Thank you.” He whispered.

Jessica smiled and said after pulling away, “No go and find her.”

Onew nodded. “But I don’t know where she goes.”

“Where do you think she could possibly go?’

Onew just shrugged.

“What does your heart say?”

--

FLASHBACK

“This is the most beautiful spot in town. I always come here if I’m feeling sad or angry. Lovely, isn’t it?” Onew asked, staring at the pond below the bridge they’re standing as Soochan continued staring at him. Soochan was speechless of what she saw. It’s beyond perfect. “If you’re sad, just in this exact place and surely, you’ll forget all your problems.”

END OF FLASHBACK

--

“I know where she is. I gotta go.” Onew said, departing from Jessica.

“Good luck.”

--

PARK (I’ll leave your imagination what the park looks like to you)

SOOCHAN’S POV

“Why am I crying? I don’t have the right to get jealous! Aish!” I wiped the tears that were dripping off my face. I snuffled twice before shouting. “LEE ONEW! Why did I love you anyway? You’re just some irresponsible student who always depends on me. You’re not that even handsome! You always fart in front of me! You always give me problems! I hate it when you run your fingers through your hair! I hate your brown eyes! I hate your corny jokes! I hate everything about you!” I lowered down my voice and added, “Yet, why do I still love you?”

“Because there’s no reason in loving someone. You just love them.” A familiar voice interrupted me.

I tilted my head to my right and saw a silhouette. “Who are you?” I asked to no one in particular. The guy in the shadows slowly took small steps towards me. The light from the post struck his face. It was him. I decided to leave but before I could run, I felt a tight grip on my left arm.

“What you said earlier, was it ture?” Onew asked me. I can tell that he’s nervous, his hand is slightly trembling.

Let go of me!” I demanded as I forced my hand to release from his grip.

“No! Not unless you tell me the truth!” He insisted, tightening the grip.

I didn’t know what to do so I panicked and accidentally punched him. He ended up on the ground, struggling to get up. I’m not ready to confess. Not this time that he has a girlfriend. I’m about to leave when I heard him crying out. “Ouch! My head hurts! My stomach! My back! My hair!”

No! Don’t listen to him. He’s just over reacting. “Soochan!” I heard him calling my name. Don’t turn around. Keep walking. “I’m bleeding.” He yelled. Hearing this, my eyes widen. I stopped from walking and quickly went back to him.

“Onew! Are you okay? I’m sorry I didn’t mean to punch you. Where’s the blood?” I panted frantically, kneeling beside him.

He sat up and chuckled, “Of course there’s no blood. It’s not that even painful. So, can you tell me what you said earlier?”

I sighed heavily and stood up. ‘You’re so stupid, Soochan!’ I cried out to myself. “Wait here.” I said to him and I began searching for a nearest vending machine and bought an orange soda. “Aish! Why do I always fall for his pranks? He’s right. There’s no reason why I love him. I just do.” I said to no one in particular. I turned around and was surprise to see him standing there, staring at me.

“Are you serious?” He asked. He could have heard me.

I totally ignored his question and sat on the bench. He followed me with his eyes and sat next to me. Silence wrapped the atmosphere. I gave him the soda I bought beforehand.  He opened it and took a sip.

“Hey! Don’t drink that! T bought that so you could place it on your wounded cheek!” I said as I grabbed the soda from him.

“Give it back, I’m thirsty. Do you know how many miles I ran just to get here?” He debated.

‘He just ran?’ I asked myself. “Why didn’t you call for a taxi?”

“I left my wallet back at the hall. I have no time to get it.”

I didn’t know what to say so I just sighed. Again, awkward silence. I looked up the sky filled with stars glistening right about us. If stars would fall every time I think of him, the sky would soon be empty.

“Um, Jessica and I fought earlier.” He blurted.

I took a quick look on him then on the plain old ground. “Why did you two fought?” I asked.

“She said I always say your name in front of her. She also said that I spent more time with you than her. She seemed to be filled with jealousy earlier.” He said as he played with the small rocks on the ground with his feet.

“Ohh. So how’re you two now?”

He disregarded me question and said in a cold voice, “She told me that I have to stay away from you.”

It felt like the world collapsed when I heard those words. I can’t take it anymore. I started pouring out some tears. I bowed a bit, hiding the jealousy lurking in my eyes. I stood up with a certainty to go. I took a step and froze when I heard him saying, “I told her that I fell in love with my best friend so, she broke up with me.”

I restricted on the same spot, stunned by his words. I can see his shadow slowly standing behind me. I exhaled deeply and mopped the tears on my face. He neared closer to me and added, “And I came here to know if my best friend felt the same way as I do.”

END OF SOOCHAN’S POV

Soochan turned around and both their gazes met. She locked her eyes unto him and started to form a smirk on her face. He bent over his head just an inch away from her and said, “It’s weird to kiss a best friend but I’ll do it anyway.” He climbed his hands to caress her bothered face and gave her a passonate kiss.

Soochan looked at his face turning gentle and slowly closed her eyes. And once in her life, she felt true love. She responded with his kiss until the kiss grew fervently. She pulled away from the kiss and hugged him tightly.

“So does this mean you’re not my best friend anymore?” he asked.

“I’m still your best friend, Onew.” Soochan replied as she messed his already messed up hair.

“I love you like a million cells running through my little brain.” He said.

“I love you like a billion red m&m’s.” she replied.

“I love you. Forever.” He repeated.

“Ever after.”