Prologue

In A Day

Oh Sehun sighed and shrugged on his jacket, completing his outfit of a snazzy-looking suit. Normally, he wouldn't mind wearing them; the rare occasions that he did, he felt that he looked more attractive. Of course, those days were over; nothing was 'normal' the way he would have defined it back then.

Sehun doubted anyone hated their job more than he. No other job in the universe could even compare. Within Seoul, Sehun had the task of collecting newly departed souls and transferring them to their next destination. Night shift, of course. During the day, he either stayed at home or wandered around. Though he had to admit, wandering around Seoul for maybe ten years was getting a bit redundant.

Sehun grabbed his leather-bound notebook, black and heavy. He flipped it open, dreading the list of names that changed every day. He scanned the names, and headed out to start working.

♦♦♦

Tired, mentally and physically exhausted, Sehun returned home at five o'clock in the morning. Since he did not require sleep--he was not quite a living human being--he flipped through the pages of the notebook, bored and curious. The names on the list would not move forward until midnight, when his time began. At the third page, he paused.

Jang Nara, 17

17, he thought to himself. So young. So innocent. Of course, he'd had to meet younger ones over the years, but it wasn't often.

Once again, Sehun felt a surge of loathing for his occupation. He didn't choose this. He should have been dead. He hated having to meet the younger ones, hated knowing that they could have so much ahead of them.

 

Since he had nothing left to do anyway, Oh Sehun decided to follow Jang Nara for a day.