The patient N°1

The patient N°1

Gwentree didn’t know why she didn’t like her new dormitory. Her old one was in worse stat than this but still she felt uneasy.

Stepping in the elevator, she was about to click on the button number 4, when the doors opened again, and a man, with a dark expression stepped in with a hand hidden deeper inside his jacket. Gwentree gave him a skeptical look before standing a little far, looking down to her own feet.

“Four.” A groan made her look up all of sudden, when she noticed his dark expression that made her shiver. “It’s the fourth level.”

She clicked on the fourth and sixth level's buttons, shaken in unease. The silence went heavier, as she looked down again, ignoring the stares on her. She was breathing as slowly as possible, afraid to make the man move toward her.

“Scared?” the man’s voice was suddenly softer and as it was followed by a chuckle, she dared to look his way. “You must be new in the building.” She nodded without much thinkinh, but then, as she slightly looked at his hand, then in her moment of realisation, she looked down to the man’s feet to notice that a pool of blood was already forming by his sidethen she looked at him with wide eyes.

He seriously looked like dying. Alarmed, she hurried by his side and he chuckled again.

“Do not worry.” His whisper wasn't weary, but she acted like it went unheard. 

“You are… bleeding.” Her voice was shaking so badly as she barely managed to speak. She was about to tell him to go to the hospital but her common sense made her realize that actually if he did come this far that means he didn’t have a chance to live in the hospital… A pay back, maybe? “Where do you live? What is your apartment’s number?”  she suddenly held his waist and made his arm rest on her shoulders. “I’ll help you reach your apartments.” He chuckled for a moment then groaned in pain. “screw it.” She hissed as the elevator’s door opened and she pulled him thought the hall. The man was way dozing off when she did dialed her secret code and opened the door. As she closed the door, she did let the man fall, face to the ground and rushed to her first aid kit. Her hands were shaking with she made him sleep on his back, before taking a scissor and cutting open the area where the wound was. She poured down the content of a bottle of scotch on his wound since she ran out of anti-bacterial or anti-septic. She cleaned the wound the best she could before wearing gloves - initially for dishes washing purposes-  and poking the sides of the wounds, checking if it’s a gun shot or just a wound made by an iron stick that had a circular diameter. In the end, she could feel something moving inside.

“ this, me, everything.” She rushed to her kitchen and the stove and searched between the still closed boxes for knives, and soon found what she did seek for, she made the blades heat up, and rushed to her sewing tools that she did throw in a bowl with the rest of the scotch she had before gulping a huge amount herself. She was shaking badly. “Okay, let's do this.” She took the hot knives, and took one to open the wound even more. The man groaned in pain and moved but not too much when suddenly she could feel an obstacle, she struggled with it until she moved up and with another knife, and she took off the small ammo. She let out a small breath and rushed for her mineral water bottle to which she added a generous amount of sugar, shook it up and using a IV needle and a synthetized tool, which was left over from the practical exam, she connected his body to the sugary substance.

Without his occasional groan, she would have believed that he died. Yet he didn’t and she sewed the best she could with shaken hands.

She suddenly considered his position. “What the hell did I do?” She stood, took a huge cover and tried to make it pass through his back before tying it under his feet and she pulled from the way up. She kept pulling until he was in the middle of the room. “Better than in the front door.” She stood in front of the blood in her room’s floor before jumping over to the bathroom where cleaning tool were, as her mother said she did put them in.

She cleaned the best she could, and fell in her bed tiredly, not even changing her clothes, which actually were soaked with blood and scotch.

******

When he opened his eyes, he didn’t think he would see a normal ceiling, maybe the under of a bed, like the one he used to stare at in Jail. He looked around to find a girl standing there, crossing her arms in front of a stove when the smell kicked in. He sighed and it seemed to get the girl’s attention. She didn’t say much, took the food, and sat next to him before offering him a cup of jus. He eyed her curiously, unable to recall when he did see her…

“Don’t worry, I didn’t poison it.” She huffed and he took the cup, smirking nonetheless. “You should leave the room as soon as you feel well.” She said suddenly. “The school year started and I need to focus on it. Obviously, it’s a dormitory for women, and actually it surprise me since I don’t see why you came here, unless you know someone here or did you expect a generous soul to take the bullet off from your body and sew your injury?”

The man didn’t reply and she didn’t say anything else, as she handed the toast, and left the man’s side to stand in the kitchen, absently looking at a drawing hanged there. He observed her for a moment before moving. It was then when he noticed how sore he was. “Ayooo, I feel stuffed.”

“You were unconscious for three days.” She said simply before looking at him. “I managed to save you in time and then I managed to bring you some serum, IV, medicines, and I renewed your stitches, and this time I used a chirurgical sewing tool. I guess it resumes how I saved your life.”

“So kind of you, but you weren’t obliged to.”

She laughed looking at him with amused eyes. “You were standing next a medicine major, do you think anyone in my place would have left you bleeding there?”

“You could call the ambulance or the police.” He froze at the realization. “Why didn’t you?”

“I knew you didn’t want to go there or why would you come here, right? It’s just common sense. I thought you have someone here but I know no one in the building to ask if someone knew a Roh Ji Hoon.”

“How did you know my name?” he asked after a long moment of silence. She pointed at something and soon noticed his vest hanged In front of him as well as his red wallet in a table next to it.

“I checked your ID, when I found the wallet in the side pocket of your vest.” She said as she stood next to it. “I washed it, thoughtfully, because I guessed you will need it, and I let it dry in here while using my hair dresser. It smells nice, by the way, and I didn’t damage it. So, don’t worry.”

“It’s just a vest, why would I worry.” He mumbled falling back to the initial position.  “I should leave.”

“You can’t leave now. Not at least before another twenty four hours.”

“I can’t but I have to.” He said with a smile. “I’ve received too much kindness for one life.” She blushed and looked away.

“Your new stitches need at least six more hours before you can say it’s safe to walk around with that.” She said, coughing her embarrassment away. “Also, you are wearing my shirt…”

He looked down to the tight shirt around his body, a pink plain shirt, and chuckled. “It suited me.” He looked at her smiling. “Didn’t it?”

“It did.” She said holding a chuckle. “I’ll get going, I have class this afternoon.” She looked at him with a serious gaze. “Eat everything you have in that plate. You have a bowl of fresh apples, oranges, and grapes beside you, eat it if you feel still hungry. Don’t leave or the next time I’ll leave you die in a dark ally.” She took her white blazer, and left the flat, leaving behind an amused man.

“Interesting girl…” he said closing his eyes.

******

When she came back home, tired after a long day of classes, she didn’t find it surprising to not see him in the bed. She knew he will leave. The surprising was to find the place clean.  “He’s tidy, at least.”

She stepped closer to the bed and put down her new bag, already heavy, and looked around to notice a strange thing. The red wallet was still there. Curious, she stepped closer, and found a small note.

I hope you liked my small thank you gift. You are brave, you will be surely the best.

Your patient N°1, Roh Ji Hoon.”