Prologue: Accidents happen for a reason

I Regret Leaving You In The First Place

 

This is my first story ever so I hope you guys enjoy it. ^u^ I got this idea from an old drama series so if it's similar to yours, I swear to you I didn't steal it. In advance, I would like to apologize for any spelling and grammar errors. English is my second language and I am not that good with it so.. and pardon for any confusing or boring scenes.

 

  "Hye Soo-ah-," my sister called from the kitchen while washing the dishes. "I'm busy, can you take the trash out for me?"

  "And what would I get in return?" I asked, as I took another bite of the chocolate cake. It was already half past ten and everybody was already asleep in their rooms except my sister and I who volunteered to clean the place up. It was my 14th birthday and I felt as if my family had done a lot and it was burdensome to make them both celebrate the party and do the clean up. We had closed the restaurant just for tonight so that we could use the shop to celebrate. My younger twin brothers had been successful, messing the place up effortlessly.

  "Pride," my sister yelled back. I snorted and sighed. I finished my cake as slowly as possible and went back into the kitchen to give her the remaining dirty plates. I took the trash and tied them up in a black plastic bag. I was quite surprised that today was a busy day; considering customers usually don't come on Mondays since it was a work day. I put my coat and boots on, dragging the trash behind me. Snow was harsh outside, the wind blowing coldly. "Oh yeah, by the way- saeng il chu ka ham ni da."

 

  "Go kill yourself, unnie," I squinted my eyes at her, sticking my tongue out.

 

  "Sarang hae," my sister smiled. I showed her a disguted face before leaving the house. I made my way towards the trash bin in the alleyway, dumping the trash inside it. I huffed and sniffled, the snow sticking to my hair with the wind blowing at my skin. It was freezing. I walked back to the front door and suddenly, heard a car honking. It was not the kind that drivers would do if they were impatient in a traffic but it was rather a panicky type. I turned my back around and saw a guy who was still in his school uniform with his bike crossing the road, but I couldn't see his face. The car was coming towards him yet he stood still.

 

  "Ya! Get out of the way!" I yelled, shocked. I don't think he could hear me since I could barely hear myself since the snow storm was so bad. "Are you crazy- No!" Something inside me made me move out of my position and ran to him, pushing him out of the car's way, only to put myself into a deathline. It happened quick and fast; that moment was when I really did hope I died because death was less painful. The car collided with my body, my legs being hit by the bumpers first, throwing myself foward. My head hit the windshield that cracked, little shreds of glass cut my face. The joints in my arms felt as if they were dismantled. The car threw me backwards, making me land on my back, my body facing the sky now.

 

  The car immediately left. I was still conscious but I wished I wasn't. Slowly, the pain sank in. My eyes started to swell, my body started to feel the pain and my head throbbed, making my vision slightly blurred My skin felt as if they were burning. The guy quickly ran beside me, I could see the outline of his head but I couldn't properly make out his face. I could tell her was crying because I could feel tears on my face that didn't belong to mine.

 

  "Ya- YA!" he yelled. "Are you okay? Are you alive?" Yes, I am perfectly fine after being hit by a car with half of my body broken. I could feel him carrying me into his arms and onto his back. He rode on his bike and brought me to a hospital, what looked like it. I was placed on a bed trolley and there were nurses suddenly surrounding me, bringing me to a ward. My eyes focused on the guy, my weak hand only holding his as tightly as I could. He kept on apologizing and I kept on whispering, "It's okay."

 

  And time passed, our hands seperated and I closed my eyes, being dragged into sleep. I won't survive this surgery. I hope so. I'm positive that I'm going to heaven. Obviously, I saved someone's life- people really should show gratitude. Gosh- people these days.

 

Two weeks later

 

  I woke up with a soft feeling on my back. I was laying down on a bed, I knew it was the hospital because I could smell the 'hospital smell' since my mother used to come here to have checkups when my younger siblings were still in there. I knew I woke up because I could finally came to my senses, my hearing- the noises the heart monitor makes beside me, my sense of taste- the taste of bad morning breath, my sense of touch- my left hand was held with warmth, like how the guy did before I was admitted here as my right hand caressed the bed sheets. The only thing I couldn't do was that I couldn't see.

 

  "Hello?" I felt myself blink to convince myself that my vision was only terribly blurred. But I knew it wasn't that. I couldn't feel my eyes anymore, I couldn't be sure if they were even there. There was no colour. You expected me to see a vast of blackness or a bright white colour in an empty space but I didn't. I couldn't see at all. It was oblivion. I shook my left hand and I felt him as if he woke up from his sleep.

 

  "Oh, you're awake," he said. His voice- was the kind that I couldn't forget. "How are you feeling? Do you feel thirsty?"

 

  "Where's my family?" I asked, still blinking several of times, thinking I could regain my vision back.

 

  "It's a Monday afternoon, they're busy at the restaurant," he explained. "I just came back from school, I even brought you your homework."

 

  "How long have I been out?" I asked.

 

  "Two weeks-"

 

  "And, who are you again?" I said, suspicious and sat up which he helped by raising  the other end of the bed to make me comfortable so I could lean back. 

 

  "I'm Chanyeol," he said. 

 

  "Aish- you don't have to praise me and apologize," I smiled gratefully. "It's okay- though it would be easier if I could have just died straight away."

 

  "Wait- hey! You want me to die of guiltiness?" he said, desperation in his tone. "Who said I was the one who you saved?"

 

  "Then what are you doing here?"

 

  "I guess I just feel sorry for you and I assume you need someone to help you at school."

 

  "But I didn't ask for your help."

 

  "Trust me, you need it if you want to survive being blind-," he realized what he was saying and stopped. There was a moment of silence where he just sat there and I almost broke down to cry.

 

  I could sense that he raised a glass of water to my lips, his thumb on my lower lip to open my mouth slightly. I stopped his hand from doing it. "I can do it by myself." And that was when I really believe it. I was really blind. I was actually blind. I chugged the water down my throat as if I hadn't tasted water all my life. Suddenly, I could feel tears suddenly on my face and I knew they were mine because a sob escaped from my lips after I placed the glass down.

 

  "Hye Soo-ah," he placed a hand on my face as if to comfort me, wiping the tears on my face. Tears kept on flowing but I couldn't bare saying anything. "It will be alright-"

 

  "You!" I felt myself grabbed his shirt, shaking him. "Don't tell me I lost my vision. Tell me I died. Tell me it's just a dream. Tell me I died."  He removed my hands from his shirt and restrained my hands from him.

 

  I shook my head. "How am I supposed to live with this? How- What if people lie behind my back? What if-"

 

  "Hye Soo-ah," he said comfortingly. "I will help you, I will."

 

  "And what if you don't? What if I become all alone in the end and-"

 

  "You won't, I promise," he said. "I will do anything for you- but conditionally."

 

  "My family can help me then," I said after a hesitate. I wiped the tears of my face, my voice suudenly shaky. "If you live with terms and circumstances, then I don't need your help."

 

  "You little stubborn ox- I didn't even explain the conditions yet," he said, utter sarcasm in his voice.

 

  "So what?" I said.

 

  "What about school?" he argued. "From what I heard, you just transferred from Seoul a few months ago and nobody even realized you were in their class until they heard about this accident. Your family have their own jobs and they can't go to school with you."

 

  "They will put me in blind-"

 

  "And you know how much the medical treatment costs?" He argued. Boy, Chanyaol is such a pain.

 

  "How do you know which school I go to?" I asked, after one thought. "And how do you know me? I can't walk around with a stranger."

 

  "I figured," he retorted. "We went to the same music tuition when we were younger. I did the vocals and you did the.. piano? We didn't talk much since I was merely a quiet child."

 

  "How do you know I am the Hye Soo you met when you were younger?"

 

  "Three ways; the school magazine, your family and your medical files. It seems like your face didn't change one bit except that you became fatter," he sniffled a laugh.

 

  "I prefer the term 'healthy'," I showed him a sincere smile. "And how does my family let you know that I was Hye Soo?"

 

  "Your noona came last week to visit and realized I was the boy who tried to steal her money to buy fish cakes five years ago," he explained with amusement. "She punched me in the face and that was the only month that I lost two of my milk teeth at the same time which is a lot. At least, she's sweeter these days since she bought me some fish cakes just recently."

 

  "I guess so," I shrugged, the thought of hopelessness was fading already with this little bastard beside me eventually. 

 

  "How old is she?"

 

  "Eh- wait, what- Were you dropped on your head as a kid or were you just born stupid?" I sniffled a laugh.

 

  "See, there's the laugh the world's been waiting for," he said. I felt a smile crept onto his face. "Also, I did a research and realized when your neurons are taken away devastatingly, some parts of your body will start to make more. For example, losing your vision can improve the sense of touch or hearing?"

 

  "And your point is-?"

 

  "I guess you will need to know how to differentiate me and the rest of the people," he said.

 

  "Your voice?"

 

  "Touche, but what if  I have a soar throat-"

 

  "Okay, shut up and tell me the conditions," I said, weary. I sighed.

 

  "I figured that if I wrote the down and email them to you, you couldn't read," he said. I snorted a laugh and he proceeded. I could feel a smile crept onto his face. "I will only help you do your homework and read to you, nothing more, nothing less."

 

  "Fine," I said, my voice lowered. I could still feel the emptiness in my chest that made me want to break down. "Are you alone in the room?"

 

  "Yeah, I'm supposed to tell the nurse about you waking up but I was too-" I slapped him on the head. I felt quite proud because I hit the right spot.

 

  "Go call the nurse then."

 

Chanyeol's Point Of View

 

  "But you are my first love and first love is always forever-" I pleaded.

 

  "Chanyeol!" Su Ji yelled, her face red with frustration as she turned her around and faced me. She placed her hands on my shoulders and pressed hard with her fingers. "DO YOU THINK WE CAN MAKE IT OVER LONG DISTANCE?"

 

  "We can only if we cooperate-" I tried but she only rolled her eyes.

 

  "We won't," she said. "Me moving to the States makes our relationship harder and might as well just end it okay? Us together, that was just the past. We need to move onto our future."

 

  "Ya- don't say that," I mumbled. I wrapped my arms around her waist and buried my face into her hair. We stood in the winter storm outside in front of the school entrance, as we have been talking about her moving for about two hours. 

 

  "Chanyeol-" I heard her sniffle a cry. She hit me on the back with clenched first, her warm tears touching my cold skin. "Don't you ever forget about me. Don't you ever let me fade away from your memories."

 

  "Never," I promised.

 

  "When you date a girl, make sure you properly love her so that she could properly love you back." She said. I took my leather black jacket and wrapped it around her. We let go of each other and slowly, went home. I couldn't feel the world around me, I only felt numb.

 

A few weeks later, I walked myself with my bike and the massless bag on my bag from school late at night. My legs were jelly like and I couldn't cry in the public. I walked and walked. Since Su Ji left, there was no sign of happiness in me anymore. I was literally a walking dead. I didn't pay attention to anything. I was left alone, depressed. I didn't pay attention to my surroundings, my teacher teaching and the guidance counsellor had even suggested me to take professional therapy too.

 

 But then suddenly, I heard a car honking. I looked up to see it coming towards me. I wanted my last thought to be Su Ji to my last thought before I die but that didn't happen because I was pushed out of the car's way. Not only the push knocked my out of my deathline but it had knocked my senses in, where reallity shot me in the chest again. I looked back and watched the girl who had done a heroic act to be crushed by a car. The car had left,  it was no use of chasing it like in the movies. The frail body that was left on the road moved a little. She was alive.

 

  "Ya- YA!" I ran to her, shocked. I leaned over her and scanned her face. She looked partially familiar. "Are you okay? Are you alive?" Her lips were moving, her fingers twitched. I quickly took her into my arms and brought her to the hospital. She was placed on a bed and was sent into a ward. My hand held hers and I could feel she did likewise. Her hands were cold yet soft. My eyes focused onto her dark brown eyes that teared up a little. Those eyes- they were the kinds that I could now easily forget about.